Is Half Life 1 worth playing?

Samon said:
I laugh at this.
Well, it may have alot to do with HL2 gameplay but adding better physics hardly improves HL1 a great deal though if you put HL1 physics in HL2 it would very much so decrease gameplay because HL2's gameplay is designed to use physics, HL1's is not.

ríomhaire said:
Well, it may have alot to do with HL2 gameplay but adding better physics hardly improves HL1 a great deal though if you put HL1 physics in HL2 it would very much so decrease gameplay because HL2's gameplay is designed to use physics, HL1's is not.

Well, I assumed he meant HL2, not HL1. Obviously HL1 was not created with physics in mind, and it is therefore not a factor. But to say HL2's physics make no impact on gameplay is...odd. But clearly, I've got the wrong end of the stick. Or have I?

Sulkdodds said:
Don't you mean 'snigger?' Cause that's what you tried to say! Racist!

THOSE MEDDDLING KIDS. D:

half life 1 is the best game i have ever played. half life 2 is garbage compared to it, i just like half life 2 for the mods mostly. i have played half life one all the way through at least 25 times, probably more. i can tell you right now that you are a fool not to give it a shot.

Never play hl2 without playin hl1 -.-, It helps understand ;).

It looks like I'm in for some good gaming.

Graphics generally don't bother me (I'm a Europa Universalis and Hearts of Iron II player at heart), but I was concerned because I assume FPS games rely on graphics/physics and other goodies to be enjoyable.

From what I gather above, HL 1 is immensly enjoyable because of its story, gameplay, and cool weapons (none of which are chiefly dependent on graphics).

Out of nostalgia i bought the HL1 Anthology, so wondering if the High Definition pack from gamespot will work with Steam? If so, do i have to do any strange installing methods?

Evo said:
Out of nostalgia i bought the HL1 Anthology, so wondering if the High Definition pack from gamespot will work with Steam? If so, do i have to do any strange installing methods?
you'll need to activate Blue Shift through Steam is all

No, after installing and activating them all, all weapon models were still standard sucky ones.

Installed the HD pack and all nice shiny ones now though! :D

Can't wait for Black Mesa Source though

HL1 has many good parts... gettid for petes sake...

To this day I remember some parts of HL 1, while I forget most stuff from movies.

"Did you get him?"
"We got him all right..."

Exactly, thats why i went back to it.

Office Complex
Three Headed Monster
The train/tram sequence
Giant Blue Monster
Launching the missile
MARINES!!
Testing Labs
SNARKS!!
Zen

My word, it was and still is an amazing game!

I was a Half-Life noob when I got HL2 as well, but lucky me got the collectors edition with Half-Life: Source. Crap graphics in comparison to the marvel of number 2, but it was fun. They should've really done a complete conversion to source, like the folk at Black Mesa mod are doing very well.

Rennmniscant said:
I was a Half-Life noob when I got HL2 as well, but lucky me got the collectors edition with Half-Life: Source. Crap graphics in comparison to the marvel of number 2, but it was fun. They should've really done a complete conversion to source, like the folk at Black Mesa mod are doing very well.

BM isn't doing a complete conversion, they are changing some maps drastically.

If weapons are important to you, HL1 has a much wider and varied assortment of weapons than HL2 has.

Half Life 1 is still excellent, it's just not as well signposted and some bits are awful, but the best bits are evn better than Half Life 2's.

in its time HL1 was a revolution, it was by far the most coherent and detailed game world out there, the marines set the new standard for battling fun AI enemies, and without it Unreal Tournament and Quake3 would have been singleplayer and the multiplayer revolution would not have happened (what this means it that it took at least 1.5 year for other developers to dare release a singleplayer FPS because they knew no one could match HL). PC gamer gave it 97% which was very rare back then, it really took a timeless gem. hl1 is like a fun history class. i wonder however how it would feel without the nostalgia we all have playing it. a little out-of-date i guess but still fun. it's also a lot more challenging than HL2. while HL2 has HUGE kickass moments spread apart, HL1 has tons of little kickass moments at every corner. it's also much longer, perhaps too long for some standards, at the end you basically forgot what the beginning looked like

hl1

god,yes-i remeber it clearly...the grey walls of the messa facility,the chiken soup in the micorwave (hehehe)
HL1 has to be the most greatest game ever made,next to opposing force that is...blue shift only lastes about an hour 30 min-2 hours,it had a nice thrill and you got to use new guns but it didnt last long
but,yes half life 1 is like the god of all FPS,i was expecting HL2 to be a bit more HL1 story contenuing from where it had exactly left off
although i guess it kinda did becuase if you choose for-well...i wont give the ending away to you now will i? go play and find out its REALLY good.
im a verry experenced gamer,and i can tell quality-half life if aneything has to be one of the best ever
dispite the lack of graphics becuase of its day and age,its verry extrodinary.
at first you dont expect it to be good,then once you get into it you find yourself almost inside the game,so drawn into the storyline its as if You Are Gordon Freeman,and you hafta get out! GET HL1!!!

house0000.jpg

If you haven't ever played Half-Life, get off this damn forum*.

*unless you're cool

I play through it once a year, every summer :D

Hell, I was just about to play through it again. Still a hella fun game.

RakuraiTenjin said:
I don't understand how people can play HL2 without playing HL1.

I did, and I know alot about the series that a small amount people who played the first and 2nd wouldn't know. I was young when I played it for the playstation, and once everything started going all wrong (In the game) I got freaked out and stopped playing it from then on (I was like 5), so.. ya.

Of course it's worth playing!

Of course it's worth playing! Well, I think so anyway. Of course, the graphics don't hold a candle to HL2 but they're still respectable, don't you think? As for the physics, boxes can only break, and be pushed and pulled around, but the physics are very similar.

Edit: I played HL1 to see what it was like, and also to see what happened before HL2 started.

SirGrotius said:
I'm being somewhat facetious, but in all seriousness, I'm a newbie, just started playing HL2 last week--absolutely love it (though get an occasional bout of nausea from it) and am wondering if I should bother to play the first one, once I've completed the 2nd.

I don't consider myself a graphics snob, but I'm worried that it'll look prehistoric (judging by a screenshot I saw from the first game in a recent post comparing it to Doom3).

I'm also worried that the guns will all be boring.

Finally, I'm worried that the physics system will be rudimentary at best.

Thanks

Wait until Black Mesa Source comes out. I'm sure someone already recommended this.

As someone who has beat the game somewhere around 6 or 7 times, I have to go with 'yes'.

From the time you're riding on the tram to work until you crack nihlanths head open with a crowbar and watch as he becomes one with the stars the game is a thrill ride! Get it! And don't highlight the spoiler until you've beat the game!!

As someone that has beaten the game around 20 times ( I don't have a life:cheese: ) I recommend you f*****g PLAY IT NOW!

As someone who has beaten my wife around 20 times...er...I mean...*runs*

Is half life worth playing? Let me ask you if Real Life is worth playing?........NO its not, because it SUCKS, thats why Half Life is worth playing, because its only half as worse as real life is, which is better. Well, death is the best choice, but i dont think there is a game named that.

Anyway, Halflife is worth playing yes.

No, don't play Half Life 1, if you have to ask this question you shouldn't play Half Life 1, 2, Blue Shift, Opposing Forces, Episode 1, Counter Strike, or any other Half Life related games....

I'm just joking, Play it, you will get a feel of what Valve is trying to do, and you will understand some of the Half Life 2 concepts better. I strongly suggest everyone plays it.

HL is the only game I can play regardless of the image quality, its a fantastic game...you might as well buy the expansions aswell, they're great fun.

I feel for those that have never played HL 1 and have played HL 2, you will find there are a lot things left to be desired in HL 1. Of course, it was a first of its type, which contributes to its lacking in comparison to HL 2. Most people here are very nostalgic to HL 1, and so any negativity towards it would be destroyed in 5 seconds by posts saying you are an idiot. When it was new, HL 1 was the best. However, after playing something like HL 2, which basically does everything HL did but so much better with better gameplay, the only reason to play through 1 is for the story. It remains fun for those that can play it now and recall the first time they experienced it, but for newbies to the game they might wonder what the fuss was about.

Don't bother waiting for Black mesa (Source). Play the original. Play BMS if/when it comes out. It shouldn't be a substitute for the original.

Its worth playing. Gameplay makes up for graphics.

play it !!!! play it !!!! its fun ! its goood ! it really really good !

Black Mesa Source is basically Half-life 1 taking full advantage of the Source Engine, Redesigned levels but stayin true to the Half-life 1 Level Layout,

Back