Is Half Life 1 worth playing?

99.vikram said:
To this day I remember some parts of HL 1, while I forget most stuff from movies.

"Did you get him?"
"We got him all right..."

"Body? what body?"
"heheheheh"

Is Half-Life 1 worth playing? Let me ask you, is oxygen worth breathing?

You judging quality of Half-Life by graphics? Half-life is about atmosphere and story, graphics are not important. But at least, HL1 looks still awesome with maximum resolution and with high definition pack...

I used to play it over and over again, but the music has started skipping so the atmosphere is blown, I'm waiting for BM Source

I would play the original before playing the remake.

OMG- is it worth playing? I'll just say yes, because I don't want to be rude.
AND it is the basis for the story of HL2
I can bassicaly play the game start to finish in my head - except maybe Residue Processing level which has allways puzzled me (every single time I play HL1 I get lost there)

I also suggest you to play HL1 addons- Blue shift, opposing force

Sufferin-rebel said:
Black Mesa Source is basically Half-life 1 taking full advantage of the Source Engine, Redesigned levels but stayin true to the Half-life 1 Level Layout,
Do NOT even consider recommending BM:S as a substitute for playing the original. Even Kalashnikov wouldn't do that, I think.

SirGrotius said:
I'm being somewhat facetious, but in all seriousness, I'm a newbie, just started playing HL2 last week--absolutely love it (though get an occasional bout of nausea from it) and am wondering if I should bother to play the first one, once I've completed the 2nd.

I don't consider myself a graphics snob, but I'm worried that it'll look prehistoric (judging by a screenshot I saw from the first game in a recent post comparing it to Doom3).

I'm also worried that the guns will all be boring.

Finally, I'm worried that the physics system will be rudimentary at best.

Thanks

:frown:

Ennui said:
Do NOT even consider recommending BM:S as a substitute for playing the original. Even Kalashnikov wouldn't do that, I think.

Agreed.

this thread just made me start playing HL1 again (for the 1000000 time)
man this game rocs (I got to surface tension in good 2h- and I didn't even rush:smoking: )

well the 1h record is still :eek:

it wasn't called, "the greatest game of all time" by both PCgamer and gamespy for nothing...

Play it now, because God help you I will track you down and ytear your God damn throat out and eat it raw if you don't. Do you hear me? I said do you ****ING HEAR ME?!

i'm re-downloading HL1 to play the beginning again... love shooting the scientists and pulling the switch that screws the entire world...

Hmm maybe

Well I'd say if your totally new to the whole halflife world you may be dissapointed in the first one cause you weren't there at the start to appreciate it. But for the story you must play it. It was a great game and had its time and I played the shit out of it but for me its over. Now is just a gap filler for the story of HL2. I couldn't replay it again. Do you think you could ever put down an XBOX360 to play a commadore 64 again, I don't think so. But for someone like yourself I guess the unknown path always brings mystery and excitement.

Half-life 1 is worth playing!

With all the scary stuffs like headcrabs suddenly pops up to attack and damage you to scare the daylights out of you.

Back