Is it me or does this look like a sitting duck?

It does stand out a lot. In fact it looks huge. Are they trying to break the record for tallest building?

Cool concept. I'm sure it's got a force field or something. :p

Judging from the shape of it, it can deflect any high-velocity objects!

the whole project's pretty retarded, i give it 10 years at most after completion before it gets blown up

I don't like this. I'm not sure who had this idea but I think it was great. (I think it was Keith Olberman) Basically the towers should be made just like they were (design wise) with each tower being taller by a number of feet (or maybe inches, feet might be too long) representing how many people died in that tower. That way in 70 years when a kid asks you "grandpa, why is that tower taller than the other" you can explain and the memory of those that died will always be alive. I don't like all these fancy things they are trying to do, kills the memory of the people that died.

yeah when its built it will be the tallest building in the world :D

the taller it is, the more it shows respect to the victims in my eyes.

surely the area will be dominantly secured and guarded for decades

it wont be the tallest building in the world ...the CN tower in canada is the tallest free-standing structure in the world ..there's bigger but they're not self-supporting

maybe it'll have inneffective missile turrets and radars like the Pentagon.

btw Stern, the Moscow Tower has taken the title for the tallest free standing structure back thanks to its recent reconstruction.

BWE HEHEH

I felt tempted to crash into just by looking at it... Weird..

The tower gets knocked down so they build a bigger and better tower.

Childrens stratagies, but I like it!

They should put magnets in the front of planes, and a huge magnet in the tower, then if a plane flies too close, it gets repelled away.

Editos: Its one of those 'Childrens strategies' again, never entirely sound.:D

Shodan said:
They should put magnets in the front of planes, and a huge magnet in the tower, then if a plane flies too close, it gets repelled away.

...or sucked in very quickly. ;)

A True Canadian said:
...or sucked in very quickly. ;)
haha yeah that does make a little more sense unless the airplane has the same magnetic orientation as your magnetic tower.

"Tallest building" competitions are pretty much like e-penis contests really. Let's face it, Big Ben pwns them all and always will do ;)

Kangy said:
"Tallest building" competitions are pretty much like e-penis contests really. Let's face it, Big Ben pwns them all and always will do ;)

Please. It's called "Big Ben" ffs. That's the kind of name I'd expect to hear in prison. :\

Shodan said:

Great idea, would also prevent mid-air collisions :LOL: .

I think the tower looks decent enough. Whatever, I liked the Twin Towers better but thats just me.

Stern becoming a suicide plane crasher? :O

*notifies CSIS*

don't be decieved by its apperance, when planes go near it, it engages bullet time mode a la the matrix.

Maybe all major American cities should just start having AA guns on all their buildings.

Or the magnet idea :D

Stupid choice to put in ground zero though. It IS a sitting duck.

gh0st said:
haha yeah that does make a little more sense unless the airplane has the same magnetic orientation as your magnetic tower.

I can picture terrorist crews highjacking a plane, and trying to concoct some crazy scheme to alternate the magnet on the nose of the plane midflight so it'll be drawn rather than repelled away.

Hazar said:
don't be decieved by its apperance, when planes go near it, it engages bullet time mode a la the matrix.

Yes, so when the plane hits, everyone runs away. Albeit slightly slower than before.

xLostx said:
Stern becoming a suicide plane crasher? :O

*notifies CSIS*

pffft, what makes you think I'd actually do it myself? I'm more osama than atta

disclaimer: the above statement shall not be taken as an admission that I am Osama bin Laden

CptStern said:
pffft, what makes you think I'd actually do it myself? I'm more osama than atta

disclaimer: the above statement shall not be taken as an admission that I am Osama bin Laden
I can't believe you just said that. You better hide now, CIA is coming for your ass and will put you on the first plane to Pakistan; turst me, by the time they are done with the tourture you'll yourself believe you are Osama.

I read that it will have 7 stories of reinforced concrete as its base for protecting it against bombs. At least they thought of one possible way of protecting it. As for air-defense the air-force will probably have the capability of acting in time to shoot anything down before it gets too close.

As for air-defense the air-force will probably have the capability of acting in time to shoot anything down before it gets too close.

Wouldn't really help if the plane was a commercial passenger jet full of civilians though. :|

CptStern said:
it wont be the tallest building in the world ...the CN tower in canada is the tallest free-standing structure in the world ..there's bigger but they're not self-supporting

The Petronius Platform is a deepwater oil rig operated by ChevronTexaco and Marathon Oil in the Gulf of Mexico, 210 km South-east of New Orleans.

A compliant piled tower design, it is 610 m (2,001 feet) high, the tallest free-standing structure in the world (when including underwater structures).

Tallest free standing structure.

"when including underwater structures"

oh how is that fair? it's freakin underwater!

Sulkdodds said:
Wouldn't really help if the plane was a commercial passenger jet full of civilians though. :|
If any plane gets too close to locations like the white house then the air-force can get immediate permission to shoot it down. Even if it is a full passenger liner.

Back