Isometric Bugbait WIP

Vegeta897

Banned as all ****
Reaction score
I'm at it again, by small request from Valve's Greg Coomer. I am making an isometric version of the Bugbait level from E3. This will be the thread where I will keep you updated on my progress, and post previews.

I started working on it today at about 4:00.

Here is the first preview, most (not all) of the layout is done.

Bugbait_Preview_01.GIF

CB | Para said:
What am I seeing here folks?
... Bugbait?

If you are unclear what part I am drawing...

All the way to the left is the hallway where you first get the pheremones, and then you head to the right and down the hallway with the Combine and beds, and then further down the hallway with the turrets.

k?

Ah I see now, but shouldn't you add depth or width to the external walls? it's just an idea.

Make sure you know what Isometric and WIP mean before trying to figure out whatit is by looking. Once you know, you'll understand.

Here are WIPs
http://www.stsci.edu/stsci/meetings/adassIV/morganj.html

Isometric means (from webster)-
of, relating to, or characterized by equality of measure; especially : relating to or being a crystallographic system characterized by three equal axes at right angles.

i.e. a graphic of a perspective view of a map (bugbait) angled 45 degrees vertically and horizontally.

Do you see it yet?

Shuzer said:
WIP = work in progress
Not.. whatever that link is :O
:rolling: :rolling: LOLZ! I make it wot I wants!! At least I'm half right.

Okay, here is the next preview.

All of the hard geometry is done, this is the only part of the map I am doing.
All thats left to do is add the coloring and props and details.

Bugbait_Preview_02.GIF

@ Prince of Space, view my sig, Greg said that after congradulating a few of us in an art competition.

EDIT: Here is a link to my first isometric piece.
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showpost.php?p=527259&postcount=30

Wow... your last piece of art (that's what it is :)) looks really good!

How do you keep all those lines at the right angles? And what program do you use to make them? EDIT: I see, good ol' Paint :)
But still, how do you keep all the lines parallel?

PvtRyan said:
Wow... your last piece of art (that's what it is :)) looks really good!

How do you keep all those lines at the right angles? And what program do you use to make them? EDIT: I see, good ol' Paint :)
But still, how do you keep all the lines parallel?

Thanks! :D

All of the lines are the same pattern, let me illustrate:

iso.GIF

Very simple, and effective. Try it! You might like it!

Mechagodzilla said:
So you draw every two-pixel block by hand? Yowza, that must take patience.
Actually you can use the line tool to make a stream of 2 block units.

But that doesn't mean it's easy, right now I am doing the tiling of the floor, line after line after line! X_X

For an ETA, I am thinking... tomorrow night or Saturday morning.

woo hoo. ctrl-c/v. If you draw more than one tile you're wasting your time.

Nah. Just copy it into a huge square and erase off the bits you don't need. It's like layers in photoshop, only you do it with multiple instances of paint. I used to do this ages ago when I got my first computer.

FictiousWill said:
Nah. Just copy it into a huge square and erase off the bits you don't need. It's like layers in photoshop, only you do it with multiple instances of paint. I used to do this ages ago when I got my first computer.
Yeah I have it working fine, no more tips please, heh.

Working on the walls now...

Exciting stuff. Did you use MS Paint to make the layout?

Pressure said:
Exciting stuff. Did you use MS Paint to make the layout?
So far I have used MS Paint for everything baby! :D

And plan on doing the rest in MS Paint too! No reason not to! No job is too complicated for teh roxxor vegetazor. (897)

adobe illustrator ...only way to go

but looks cool :)

Well, it's time for bed (not what I wanted but oh well)

So here is a preview of my work so far.

Bugbait_Preview_03.jpg

Added floor base tile, most of the wall texture, nice fade-out effect for start and end portals, and complicated some geometry.

Pendragon said:
The best is the fade-out effect - the tiles, though nicely done (missing an angle line on the first and second sections from the right), are painfully repetitive at the moment.
*Just woke up and decided to post*

Where are you talking about?

I will be making them dirtier and stuff as I approach that phase of the drawing. Hope I pull it off nicely. :)

Some ideas to improve the floor. Some shading etc etc.

1 is a single tile, the other two are larger versions

Attachments

• tile1.bmp
    270 bytes · Views: 307
He's going for a true bugbait look. Those tiles do NOT look like bugbait. His tiles do..

wow, thats awesome, must be lots of work. You gonna keep workin on it tonight, or u goin to bed?

I used to do pixel art like this, but damn that's good.

Inspiring actually, might go make something later.

I'm up, thanks for all the comments guys, I appriciate it.

Will begin working again shortly.

The tiles are NOT finished, they will be dirtied, and covered up mostly by all the debris and objects that are in the Bugbait map.

Ok, finished with everything but the props and details.

I will be adding all objects and creatures to the map. (Combine, turrets, and the dead antlion guard)

ETA? Maybe tonight, most likely tomorrow.

And so here it is, finished the walls and windows, added doors to the exit portal. (They are there in the map so.. yeah)

Bugbait_Preview_04.jpg

whoa :O

Make a screeny with you editing it in paint, my bro dosent believe its in paint :p teehee

Sweet. I love the brown wallsection on the left. Only odd thing is the rightmost door, it feels a bit off.

Great work.

Well Simmo's brother, let me show you how I operate through example.

Bugbait_Process.jpg

This is what I have just finished. I started by clearing out the area, in this case, the area was simply removed tiles.

Then I added texture, by selecting a similar color, and dotting the area with it. I did it with several colors.

Then I plotted out the basic shapes. Pretty simple.

Then I added outlines and shading, and that tops it off!

:D

n1 i think the door is cool.... u are the iso-chief-rocker!

Oooh, I stared at the floor tiles for to long, gone all trippy. Nice stuff.

Back