Its Almost Done!

pharamir

Reaction score
I am almost finished my map dm_outpost17. It has a bit of everything, a bit indoors, outdoors, hiding places etc.

Outpost17-3.jpg

Outpost17-2.jpg

Outpost17-1.jpg

My suggestions:
Work with your texturing.. the walkways look very wrong. Also, that room looks out of scale.. and very bare
Everything looks waaay too random.. there's nothing tying things together-try and have a unified theme
And make a proper ladder, that one just looks out of place

Hey thanks for the tips, im gonna remove that walkway on the column it doesnt work at all in the map. the walkways do look iffy dont they, i may make them solid. Changed the mountain texture, retextured the floor in that room, cause it looks a bit stretched.

Heres an indoor screen shot in the building with the lettering on the top.

Outpost17-4.jpg

The feel is more unified once you play it, but i will try and make it a bit more unified, the idea is kinda of a last outpost for the combine, so it has a few defenses etc.

Again, room looks randomly out of proportion.. remember the player is only 72units high.

Also, the lighting seems a little random.. I'm not sure..

There are some good parts, and a lot of horrible parts. Those rooms must be smaller, and with more obstacles! Read this, please!!!! And what's that ugly thing in pics 2 and three?

Improve it till you reach perfection! :p

Those screenshots are insanely big! Could you make them smaller please?

ComradeBadger said:
Again, room looks randomly out of proportion.. remember the player is only 72units high.

Also, the lighting seems a little random.. I'm not sure..

Thanks for the tip on the room size, i reduced it, and the empty room is now an archive room with solid walkways with an embedded pyrotechnic cupboard, which is a nice touch.

MigaS_tX said:
There are some good parts, and a lot of horrible parts. Those rooms must be smaller, and with more obstacles! Read this, please!!!! And what's that ugly thing in pics 2 and three?

Improve it till you reach perfection!

I know exactlly what you mean the cylinder is there but the ugly walkway thing is gone.

MigaS_tX said:
This one.
It's a great map IMO.

Do you mean the texture or the guard post thing. Cause i changed the texture it looks 100% better lemme get a new screenshot.

It looks way to blocky to be honest. It's not a bad start though.

Thanks for the help everyone, heres a new screenshot from the "archive room. And a screenshot from my first map, which was made 6 weeks. Im quite pleased to see how much better my skills have improved.

Outpost17-5.jpg

gardenold.jpg

can't believe how dark it is lol.

I'd still say it doesn't gel.. it's a combine outpost.. the fine-geometry static_props contrasting sharply with the blocky rest of map. Also the lighting seems very random still :|

Sorry.

Just a quick thought, im not a mapper myself, but would it be possible to make one of the pipes explodable or what-was-the-word-again, you know, like in that one map in Water Hazard. Err. You get the point, right?

Back