I've FIGURE OUT the whole CS Multiplayer confusion

Xcellere

Reaction score
I read in The Inquirer a month or two back that a VERSION of CS with enhanced Source graphics was coming down the pike. They also mentioned that CS2 was in development.

So, with the announcements that came today, and the email that just came from Rick at Valve in the Valve Info sticky, I've come to the idea that CS Source is the multiplayer included with HL2. CS2 is its own seperate package that will come at a later date.

This makes sense being it's very easy to port old HL mods into Source. CS and all the other mods/expansions aren't taking Valve much time to make, so its very possible that CS2 is its own seperate being. CS is just to wet our appetite for CS2, and CS Source WILL be free, if you consider paying for it with HL2 "free."

From Rick of Valve:

It is what it says it is: Counter-Strike ported to Source. It is NOT
CS2.

Rick

Yea......thanks? What is it with everyone posting threads like they've seen the 2nd coming of christ when its obviously old news?

no offense to you personall xcellere

i don't think cs Source is HL2 multiplayer
Frontpage of hl2.net: Popular mods will be sold at end of summer, ported to source
HL2 status: will have attempted release cd sent to printing in early summer

If the PORTS on SOURCE are coming out near end summer, why would it come out earlier as hl2's multiplay?

It's possible, but i hope that wasn't their big suprise. I'd be disappointed.

Orange said:
i don't think cs Source is HL2 multiplayer
Frontpage of hl2.net: Popular mods will be sold at end of summer, ported to source
HL2 status: will have attempted release cd sent to printing in early summer

If the PORTS on SOURCE are coming out near end summer, why would it come out earlier as hl2's multiplay?

It's possible, but i hope that wasn't their big suprise. I'd be disappointed.

Have you seen the Shakycam video?

we need an announcement on the frontpage sorting this out, cs ported to source IS NOT cs2. Its not even confirmed its hl2's mp.

"HL2's MP will be Counter Strike Source"

Thats a missunderstanding, there both seperate products. Obviously cs2 was shown instead of HL2's MP because it has a huge following.

What Gabe was trying to say was not 'here you have the multiplayer' but more 'cs was such a big deal with HL so we decided it to port it to a next gen engine'. I really see no point in releasing CS Source as the HL2 multiplayer, it doesn't make any sense.

Urgh. One small nuggest of info over-looked...

On the euro-gamer page, Doug Lombardi has already confirmed that ALL the ported games will be seperate and a nominal fee will be charged. This includes CS, HL1, Op4 and Blue Shift. Expect a price of £/$5-10.

My reckoning is, HL2 will have its own unique MP but may not be so groundbreaking/earth shattering as we hoped. The community will still however have its 'favourite' <quote: Gabe Newell> in the form of Counter-strike: Source to keep us occupied until CS2.

I don't think cs-source will be HL2's multiplayer because we have to pay for cs-source separatley from HL2 therefore this indicates that it is not included and is therefore not its multiplayer. The multiplayer will most probably be simple deathmatch like the original HL, but that's just a guess.

Ritch.

Back