Ive offically given up hope.

Originally posted by Zero Signal
Just setup a system like on AIM, you get warned to a point then you're gone, but instead of coming back, you're permanently ip/name banned.

Here in UK most people access the internet through dynamic IPs that change everytime you log on. I don't think permenantly banning an IP is an ideal solution in this case.

I think Logic's "vote-to-ban" idea is the best so far. In fact if you have ever used ISketch then you may have had experience of using this system. You don't get voting privileges until you have been there a while, then it takes a certain number of votes to kick someone. In my experience of ISketch it seems to work quite well.

EDIT: Do you think it would be worth me knocking something up, or would I be wasting my time??

Originally posted by MrD
I think Logic's "vote-to-ban" idea is the best so far.
Thanks for the credit, but I thought you came up with it! :cheese: (I suggested the "anyone can ban" idea, then you suggested ban voting)
I do agree, though, the system could work quite well.

Originally posted by MrD
Do you think it would be worth me knocking something up, or would I be wasting my time??
That depends.. if we can find a good server to run a forum on, I'd say lets go for it and try to create a forum utopia. If you did set something like that up, I'd support it (and help run it if you'd like).

Edit: Otherwise, I guess we should just suggest things to the mods here. (I definately think hl2.net's ranking system should be abolished)

Originally posted by Logic
That depends.. if we can find a good server to run a forum on, I'd say lets go for it and try to create a forum utopia. If you did set something like that up, I'd support it (and help run it if you'd like).

Edit: Otherwise, I guess we should just suggest things to the mods here. (I definately think hl2.net's ranking system should be abolished)

Well, lets try both!

I'll start with something simple, ie. basically copy the VBulletin interface as that works well already. It'll take a few days to get the basics going and find a cheapo server to set it up on initially. It would be very simple to start with but could be extended if the idea works.

Of course, there is always the situation that I start something then realise its waaaay to much work and give up! lol

Originally posted by MrD
Of course, there is always the situation that I start something then realise its waaaay to much work and give up! lol
Well lets hope that doesn't happen... I've always wanted somewhere online I can start talking about philosophy without some arse saying "NOBODY GIVES A $HIT"

I was going to disagree with you, but I think i've completely given up as well. Too much crap too fast. I won't give up totally, just till when the game actually ships or a few months till it ships, but I most certainly won't care now.

Edit: Spell Check

The big problem is the lack of segmentation!

This General Discussion should be split into a number of different groups and new ones should be started as things evolve:

* Game physics
* Monsters
* AI
* Weapons
* Art, graphics and audio
* Multiplayer
* TF2
* CS(2)
* PC Hardware
* HL2 release group
* Delay group
* Source theft group

etc... this would make it much more interesting to read the parts you want to read about.

Re: Re: Ive offically given up hope.

Originally posted by AlCapucci
You are just as pathetic as those other noobs.

Another fine example of whats happening on these forums. The people with 1 post come in and think that they are running the show.

REGARDING THE "VOTE TO BAN IDEA" and similar ones

These would simply just not work, if one intelligent person makes some noobs like bad, they would all just say "LOLZ wouldtn it be teh funnay if we banxor him!11!1" It would just be chaos.

The VIP area isnt actually a bad idea, it would be good not to impliment a new ranking system, but to just say that only Hydras (or another rank) and above can use these forums.

Originally posted by |CC|Hudson
These would simply just not work, if one intelligent person makes some noobs like bad, they would all just say "LOLZ wouldtn it be teh funnay if we banxor him!11!1" It would just be chaos.

Hence the "noobs" can't vote ... ?

Here is what I got so far ...

Got to be registered for X amount of time before being given voting privileges (automatic). When voting to ban you are reminded of the forum rules and asked to confirm that you are voting due to violation of the forum rules (votes for other reasons will not be tolerated). If banned you can appeal to mods, if mods decide that you were banned unfairly then they reinstate you and the voters involved lose their voting privileges (or maybe get X amount of warnings).

I think over the course of it, their would be a lot less work for the mods overall. I really think it could work.

i like the idea of a VIP area. could be make it a referral based system, whereby initial members have to refer other people who they think would make good additions.

and not all headcrabs are noobs.

I dont like that idea at all. There would be way too many bans happening, it would only cause more trouble.

Re: Re: Re: Ive offically given up hope.

Originally posted by |CC|Hudson
The VIP area isnt actually a bad idea, it would be good not to impliment a new ranking system, but to just say that only Hydras (or another rank) and above can use these forums.
That's nonsense. There's plenty of people deserving of using the forum who don't have a high enough post count to be a hydra. The post count ranking system needs to be completely removed.

Back