dcxs

Reaction score
Didn't see any thread about this ground breaking film from the creator of Aliens, Terminator & Titanic. Anyway "public" showing in Amsterdam showed 15 min of footage here are some comments;

@dt4storms: Still in awe of meeting James Cameron... Avatar will change movie industry forever.. thank you Jim

@gjkooijman: is mindblown

@gjkooijman: still can't process the Avatar presentation he saw. It's nothing you can imagine, it's real. Cameron made a new planet and took a cam there.

@gjkooijman: saw 40 minutes of James Cameron's Avatar footage at the Cinema Expo tonight. THIS WILL CHANGE MOVIES FOREVER. Trust me, it will.

@NafRas: OMG keep this in mind James Cameron's AVATAR this Dec. it's gonna rock the way u see movies! Preview @ cinema expo leaves me wanting more

@sperling: It's official! The footage from "Avatar" shown at Cine Expo was amazing. Absolutely stunning in 3D. Should be a huge hit.

@UCSNord: "Avatar" footage at #cinexpo: CGI was photorealistic, characters look really real. Believe the hype, this movie will be massive!

@UCSNord: Fox's product presentation at #cinexpo offered about 15-20 mins of "Avatar" footage in 3D, presented by Cameron & members of the cast.

@UCSNord: "Avatar" footage at #cinexpo was presented by Cameron, Weaver, Worthington, Saldana and Lang, who all attended the after-party.

@UCSNord: Footage from "Avatar" at #cinexpo was stunning, literally jawdropping. Amazing visuals unlike any before seen, with incredible detail.

@UCSNord: The screening room was packed, I'd say about 1500 to 2000, around there. Genuine excitement and an amazed crowd.

http://screenrant.com/avatar-footage-shown-details-early-buzz-ross-14583/

Sounds interesting to say the least.

I just jizzed in my pants, looks like a blockbuster I'd see more than once

Just from those images my thoughts:
1) Mission to Mars
2) Lion King
3) Star wars

Yeah, the first image definently has Soderbergh's Solaris vibe to it, the first thing that comes to mind for the 2nd image is Vortigaunt's world (I have no idea why) and the 3rd image reminds me of Aliens/Halo.

I still can't forgive him for abandoning his fans and the Terminator franchise by letting hacks such as McG butcher it. Titanic was an overbloated and over budgeted, vagina oozing crapfest. I get the same vibe from this. As far as i am concerned, James Cameron ceased to exit after directing True Lies.

Titanic was great, even though the fact that he focused on two love birds during a terrible tragedy is a bit f'ed.

Those visuals are awesome. We need more sci fi movies that deal with outer space again. Those are the best kind.

Looks very promising, I'm about as hyped as I get for films.

I am very much looking forward to this; the second picture in particular is idealistically luscious.

even though the fact that he focused on two love birds during a terrible tragedy is a bit f'ed.

Uh, how?

Jack and Kate? The camera was almost always on them and everyone else was just an extra with a couple lines here and there.
It's not a big deal anyways, I still enjoyed it immensely.(ie: don't feel like arguing)

I still can't forgive him for abandoning his fans and the Terminator franchise by letting hacks such as McG butcher it.

He didn't abandon his fans, since he was done with the Terminator series. Warner Brothers had the rights for the third and fourth one. He had no say in who directed the last 2 Terminator movies since he didn't want to be involved with them.

Oh, well, there were all of these other lives at stake and they just focused the attention on a couple of people... it just seemed a little bit disrespectful to the others.
I remember seeing an older movie(1950/1960s) that did the Titanic in such a way that it looked at the entire tragedy as a whole and focused on nearly everyone on the ship.
Can't remember the name though.

edit: A Night to Remember, I think it was.

Yeah I've seen that one.

The good thing about the relationship in Titanic was giving it a more personal, human angle. The bad thing was that it was a really poorly done relationship.

I'm glad your interested in this, just shows how good taste HL2 fans have ;).

Anyway for those who care it seems like a trailer or some footage will be
shown at comic con towards the end of July, hopefully we get something on teh Internet as well.

Next-gen FX/CGI has always been a Cameron signature, what with Terminator, Aliens, the Abyss and T2. This will be another huge jump forward I suspect.

Got to say the plot seems like traditional sci fi stuff but it looks good and the press behind it has been extraordinary :O I'll have to see it :)

Are there any trailers?

Nothing yet, it's being kept strictly under wraps.

Oh, well, there were all of these other lives at stake and they just focused the attention on a couple of people... it just seemed a little bit disrespectful to the others.

Disrespectful? It wasn't supposed to be a documentary of any kind. It was a movie that just happened to be set on the Titanic.

I know what you mean, Lucid, but I don't really agree. It was a love story set against disaster, not a disaster story. And, like Eejit said, it gave it a more personal feeling.

Anyway, Avatar is looking like it might be pretty cool.

Looks really nice. It has been a while since there was a proper scifi blockbuster. And I don't mean scifi light like Terminator.

Those screencaps are awe inspiring.

I know the last one is concept art, because it's shown up posted before, and I imagine the first two are also concepts, since they've refused to show a single frame of film.

I know what you mean, Lucid, but I don't really agree. It was a love story set against disaster, not a disaster story. And, like Eejit said, it gave it a more personal feeling.

Yeah, it kept the movie from being a, "Oh man, that guy just got owned" disaster movie :p

I know the last one is concept art, because it's shown up posted before, and I imagine the first two are also concepts, since they've refused to show a single frame of film.

There have also been countless "concepts" of the aliens, which have been dismissed as fake. So I bet these "concepts" are fake as well.

There have also been countless "concepts" of the aliens, which have been dismissed as fake. So I bet these "concepts" are fake as well.

Nope the first two are from the Cinema Expo in Amsterdam and are official. The third one is from a couple of months back but have been confirmed to be real from fox I think. (http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2009/06/more-pictures-from-avatar-party.html)
also keep in mind these are probably done by different artists they don't really give a good presentation for how Pandora will finally look on screen.

:|....
The second I saw the extremely cheaply tacked on text and lack of opening logos, I had a feeling it was fake.

The story is pretty good, I don't recall anything being done in film before that's particularly similar though I've read books featuring the various elements. Oddly the movie it resembles most is probably Fern Gully.
It should certainly be spectacular in terms of visuals and the action it contains though. Appears to stick to Chekov's Gun usage a little too much though.

Edit: and there's definitely gonna be a ton more furry/anti-furry stuff going around on the internet when this comes out

I heard the trailer will be released the 20,when exactly?

I wonder if this movie will set a new standard for cgi and/or 3d movies. Almost all of his films have high amounts of special effects, and a few of his movies set new standards for digital effects.

Abyss had the "first digital 3D water effect" aka water tentacle:
fluidabyss.jpg

T2 had the "first realistic human movements on a CGI character"
terminator2still1.jpg

Titanic not only used extensive 3d backdrops, but was the "first wide-release feature film with major elements rendered under the open source Linux operating system. Also included a number of advances, specifically in the rendering of flowing water."
titanicmovieship.jpg

But what more can cgi effects give us? Just more detailed characters?

But if nothing else, I hope its a good movie. Then hopefully Cameron will work on Battle Angel Alita.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_CGI_in_film_and_television

Back