Most expensive film ever made. Though the studio don't like people reporting that ;)

Most expensive film ever made. Though the studio don't like people reporting that ;)

avatar is? wow... and yeah, after Water World, I can see why studio execs wouldn't like that kind of publicity. Not that Avatar is gonna suck like Water World, but you never know.

The links are there but they're not working just yet.
Here's some pics of the film:
6415_114554851138_35939786138_2423313_7253790_n.jpg

6415_114554931138_35939786138_2423315_3888842_n.jpg

6415_114555171138_35939786138_2423323_4830309_n.jpg

6415_114555116138_35939786138_2423322_7522138_n.jpg

6415_114555061138_35939786138_2423321_6304176_n.jpg

6415_114555001138_35939786138_2423320_3945110_n.jpg

Here's the trailer in French.
Don't worry as there's pretty much no dialogue spoken.

I'm not that excited about it anymore, looks very silly... a furry's dream come true really.

edit: Actually I think I'm being too hard on it, since they are in fact aliens... not anthropomorphic animals.
It looks beautiful and this is James Cameron so I've no doubt that it's going to be fantastic.

I still think the world dont look that "alien" enough

but still is james cameron so my hopes are up

Holy **** am I the only one who thinks that looks amazing?

Oh ffs since when is the foliage on Pandora green? It was meant to be purple gorramit.

I still think the world dont look that "alien" enough

I disagree, it's just not conventional "alien".

I'm not crazy about the design of the blue creatures, but they are still cool. They look as though I will grow to like them as the film progresses.

I disagree, it's just not conventional alien.

sure they will mention that the planet is in conditions very similiar to our planet so that will make it logical,still when they mentioned that they where designing a new unique world I was expecting somehting diferent from earth

sure they will mention that the planet is in conditions very similiar to our planet so that will make it logical,still when they mentioned that they where designing a new unique world I was expecting somehting diferent from earth

It's meant to be more unique. Pandora is a very different planet from Earth. Did you notice how the humans were wearing breathing masks on the planet? And in fact it's a moon, orbiting a gas giant similar to Jupiter.
I don't understand where the purple plants went :(

But they left all the wildlife blue and purple. Camo is for the weak, eh?

Well, that was spectacularly underwhelming. From the way Cameron talked about this movie for forty straight minutes at E3 I was expecting my eyes to explode out of my head and that I would stumble blindly to my balcony, throwing open my window to proclaim to the masses that the greatest CGI of our time was upon us and to throw all other CG-heavy movies before it into a spectacular bonfire.

Instead I got average looking robots and choppers with cartoony-looking blue furries about to make out.

Well, that was spectacularly underwhelming. From the way Cameron talked about this movie for forty straight minutes at E3 I was expecting my eyes to explode out of my head and that I would stumble blindly to my balcony, throwing open my window to proclaim to the masses that the greatest CGI of our time was upon us and to throw all other CG-heavy movies before it into a spectacular bonfire.

Instead I got average looking robots and choppers with cartoony-looking blue furries about to make out.

The trailer online ain't 3D or Imax-sized. Also those were clips from just one of several set-pieces.

Oh and they're mechs rather than robots.

And here's this: http://www.empireonline.com/features/avatar-teaser-trailer-breakdown/

Hey you called em robots, whether you thought they were or not other people might believe it simply cause you said it.

And yeah it will look better on the big screen, decent CGI generally does.

decent CGI
GUYS IT'S SO PHOTOREALISTIC JUST LIKE CAMERON SAID I CAN'T TELL IF I'M LOOKING AT ACTORS AND PROPS OR CGI

1250787059144.jpg

I TOTALLY CAN'T EVEN NOTICE THE HORRIBLE CLIPPING WHERE THE BUTT OF THE MECH'S GUN MEETS ITS FOREARM

The APUs in Matrix Reloaded looked better than this. Seriously, try to defend this picture. Just try. Try knowing that Cameron told you you wouldn't be able to tell CG from real actors, props, and sets. Look at that picture and tell me that you don't know whether it's CG or not. Tell me it's photorealistic. Go ahead. Tell me Cameron delivered and that all the hype about this movie having the most revolutionary CGI in the history of film that he's been spewing is correct.

Look at that picture.

Look at it and tell me this isn't some Spirits Within shit.

The picture from 4 months before release? Nah, I'll wait till they're fully done, then judge.

some Spirits Within shit.

I liked The Spirits Within

but seriously, i agree with darkside about this trailer. I was under the impression that the cgi was worlds better than anything that we've seen. maybe my expectations were just to high.

The picture from 4 months before release? Nah, I'll wait till they're fully done, then judge.
Wow. You actually believe that they're still working on the CG and it'll improve. I feel sorry for you now.
hey i liked that movie... but seriously, i agree with you. I was under the impression that the cgi was worlds better than anything that we've seen. maybe my expectations were just to high.
I liked Spirits Within too, for the record.

And don't feel bad for having high expectations, James Cameron talked out of his ass so much about the CGI for this movie...it's like Delgo 2, man. Photorealistic my ass.

None of the goddamn Quicktime trailers work for me. I hate the Apple trailer site. Some shit always plays up for me.

Looks all right to me. Some of the CG is a bit too clean/smooth, but I like the look of the Aliens overall.

Regardless though, it looks epic enough to warrant a trip to the local cinema when it hits, even though the plot looks fairly thin (trailer pretty much tells you what the plot is lets be honest here).

The CG on the creatures weren't particular good, Davy Jones was a lot better. But the environments look great, I can't think of any other movie that has better CG environments. Also, the CGI is pretty much done. I'm still looking forward to it.

even though the plot looks fairly thin (trailer pretty much tells you what the plot is lets be honest here).

It didn't give away too much, as much as a trailer should.

It looks kinda cool (apart from the guy turning blue and saying this is cool, that part made me cringe horribly). Really though why is this film SO hyped? It's only now that the trailer has came out, what's so special about this?

Wow. You actually believe that they're still working on the CG and it'll improve. I feel sorry for you now.
I'm not saying they will or they won't, but it's not uncommon for CGI touchups to continue after release of the first trailer. Regardless your still proves nothing of how it'll look on the big screen in motion. Finding an object that clips for a second in the first trailer is hardly definitive proof of how ones overall impressions of the two-hour plus movie will be.
That said, I'm sure Cameron has overhyped it somewhat. I suspect others will have an overly-strong backlash when their high expectations of revolution are not quite met.
Still, a major blockbuster entirely in 3D is a big step and will surely add to the impact when it's released.
Regardless though, it looks epic enough to warrant a trip to the local cinema when it hits, even though the plot looks fairly thin (trailer pretty much tells you what the plot is lets be honest here).

Well yeah, a metaphor against colonialism is the basic plot. As for how it's done the trailer doesn't give so much away. Most of those shots were out of sequence for example.

Really though why is this film SO hyped? It's only now that the trailer has came out, what's so special about this?
Director of Terminator 2 and Aliens says his fifteen-year-long project is going o be so amazing you'll flip the fuck out in theaters and the line between live action and CG will be blurred forever. Remembering T2 and Aliens, people on the internet immediately start shrieking and posting on their interblogs about how this shit will blow your fucking mind. Early screenings of 24 minutes of Avatar seem to corroborate this. Cameron talks of photorealism and this amazing, living planet he's created.

Trailer released and it's full of cartoony cat people and CG like this:

1250786566001.jpg

Internet is summarily displeased and takes bets on whether or not Avatar will flop harder than Water World. A few people hold out that the movie might still be OK, despite the cliche, enviro-wank story and not delivering on its promises.

Brb, face is melting

1250786877899.png

Just read the /tv/ thread and then read this.

I'm so glad I never get hyped for anything anymore.

Although to be fair, this doesn't look that bad.

On crappy connection so I haven't seen it in motion yet.

I'm not saying they will or they won't, but it's not uncommon for CGI touchups to continue after release of the first trailer. Regardless your still proves nothing of how it'll look on the big screen in motion. Finding an object that clips for a second in the first trailer is hardly definitive proof of how ones overall impressions of the two-hour plus movie will be.
That said, I'm sure Cameron has overhyped it somewhat. I suspect others will have an overly-strong backlash when their high expectations of revolution are not quite met.
Still, a major blockbuster entirely in 3D is a big step and will surely add to the impact when it's released.

What he said. Comic-Con, Amsterdam feedback has been nothing but positive. Most likely not the movie Cameron/internet has been hyped/envisioned it to be, but probably still be a solid science-fiction movie. Jump to conclusions much Darkside?

I was right about the furry-haters getting their panties in a twist about this film.

Back