Just bought 9600SE

Gossoon

Reaction score
I was at Best Buy today, seeing what graphics cards they had and came across the 9600SE. I had never heard of this card before. As far as I knew the XT series was the newest release. I've been looking for a new card for awhile cause my 7200 is getting a little long in the tooth and i only wanted to spend around a $100. The 9600SE was $130. BUT it is also bundled with the HL2 coupon! :cheers: So christ, the card is really about $80 and will run the directX 9 features. Hot shit. So I bought it. Haven't installed it yet, or even opened it. Doing some post-buy research. So far it seems like it is a crippled 9600. It has a 64-bit bus compared to the Pro, and I think, the Standard's 128-bit bus. Still, the clock speeds are the same as the Standard and it's $40 cheaper, at least at Best Buy. So, anyway. just thought I'd give people a heads up and if anyone out there has gotten a 9600SE, let me know.

if it performs well enough for u on the games u play, gg...
otherwise, its not that special of a card, u will find its not going to perform on newer games, or semi-new games w/ advanced features...
u get what u pay for

Originally posted by Gossoon
I was at Best Buy today, seeing what graphics cards they had and came across the 9600SE. I had never heard of this card before.

You never heard of the card and have no idea about how it would perform and still you bought it? Impulsive buying is regret after... ;(

Well, seeing as how I was going to buy a 9600 anyway - which was NOT bundled with HL2, and my budget is tighter than your ass cheeks, I thought it was a good move. I don't give a shit about max performance. I just want to run HL2 relatively well for as cheap as I can. After all it right on the box it says, "HL2 preferred graphics" and they wouldn't lie to me, would they? Would they???

**Igneri Edit: Please watch the language, no need to flame like that.

it will then probably get like 30fps average at standard advanced settings on 1024x768 with that card in hl2, otherwise i dont think they would put that on there....

30fps is fine with me. I've always gamed with cards at least a generation old. It's just a shame that people get in such a pissing match about their cards. That's why I think it's kind of nice that DoomIII has capped its fps at 60. Maybe it will stop some of this frantic measuring. And another thing that gets my panties in a bind is that most of these card snobs are 17 year old kids spending daddy's money and have no idea what real world economics are. I'm a grown ass man and I work for a living goddamn it. It's hard to justify spending $300 for a 9800 or whatever when the rent is due, the car payment, the alimony for my bitch of an ex-wife. Just kidding about that last part. But does anyone see my point?

**Igneri Edit: AGain, please watch the lagnuage, flaming like that is NOT necessary.

Sorry about the language. It's just how I talk. No flames here. All smiles...

Originally posted by Gossoon
It's hard to justify spending $300 for a 9800 or whatever when the rent is due, the car payment, the alimony for my bitch of an ex-wife. Just kidding about that last part. But does anyone see my point?

I really do think that by the time Half-Life 2 is actually released, the price on the 9800 Pro will be way down.

Originally posted by D00M
I really do think that by the time Half-Life 2 is actually released, the price on the 9800 will be way down.

I'm thinking maybe a $30 price drop, at most (maybe $50, but doubtful), if the game comes out in April 04

Wouldn't pushing the 9800 lower push everything else lower (I guess that's not entirely true, but.. still)?

Originally posted by Shuzer

Wouldn't pushing the 9800 lower push everything else lower (I guess that's not entirely true, but.. still)?

Yes. I would imagine that all the current cards that are out now would lower as well.

Yes. I would imagine that all the current cards that are out now would lower as well.

So yeah, $30-$50 drop max (atleast that seems likely to me), which would still be nice, but that's not loads off the card (but hey, money saved is money saved, I'm broke :()

im waiting for 9600xt release, card worth every penny... 50 for hl2, means 150 dollar card, plus all the other "free" stuff....
great deal in my head, comes with game im buy it for ^.^

I got a 9200 SE and it runs Vietcong/mohaa exactly the same on my 1.4ghz, than my friends 2.5ghz pc with a 9200 pro. Anyone know how to overclock it?

I really do think that by the time Half-Life 2 is actually released, the price on the 9800 Pro will be way down.

The 9800 pro might be even hard to get hold off, since the next-gen cards will be around by then.

Originally posted by =)PoLo(=
The 9800 pro might be even hard to get hold off, since the next-gen cards will be around by then.

Your right. That's a very good point.

This is why I hate buying video cards... always something better coming up ahead and the best today is the out-dated tomorrow

I doubt production on the 9800pro will stop becuase of the next gen of cards.......

Originally posted by crabcakes66
I doubt production on the 9800pro will stop becuase of the next gen of cards.......
Are you serious? I can't see any signs of sarcasm... :|

Ill be buy the AIW 9800SE, it just costs 230e and have the same clock speeds as the 9800 pro. Its just that it has just 4 rendering pipelines. But once softmodded to 8 pipelines it precisely as fast as a 9800 pro. But has to be a 256bit SE card, otherwise it may be unmoddable. If I succeed to softmodd it, it will be the best buy ever made.

is the 9600se better than the geforce fx 5200? i have the choice between the 2...

Back