Just bought Starcraft

YOU WILL NOT GET AWAY WITH THIS CAVE CANEM!

You just made a powerful enemy.

I'm guessing you already saved it on your computer for when I change avatars?

You better change avatars... Or:

banimalua0.jpg

Ok, only for the sechs, though!

Probeeeeeeeeee!!!

Dragon sechs of course.

Back on topic too btw.

Dragon sechs of course.

Back on topic too btw.

I remember the old avatar...*sigh*

But yeah, I played a few games of SC tonight...mad fun, and lots of memories..*sigh*

This article is worth a read if you have that quesiton.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft_professional_competition

"The computer game StarCraft has an active professional competition circuit, particularly in South Korea. The two major game channels in South Korea, Ongamenet and MBCGame, each run a Starleague, viewed by millions of fans. Starting in about 2002, pro-gamers started to become organized into teams, with large South Korean companies like SK Telecom and KTF sponsoring them. StarCraft is also the most popular game competition in the annual World Cyber Games, the largest computer game competition."

Also worth a read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lim_Yo-Hwan

"He is the most popular Starcraft player with a fan club of almost 600,000 members and a DVD compilation of his greatest games released in South Korea."

"This success has brought him the highest salary of professional gaming, exceeding an annual income of 300,000 US Dollars per year, excluding prize money and endorsements."
To get 300k a year to play a video game throw in prize money and endorsements. Suck my balls and call me a bitch.

Wanna know how serious every second is on a tournament level?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kang_Min
During a live match, he suddenly asked the game observers to pause the game. The problem with Kang Min was that he had to blow his nose and asked for a tissue. Not surprisingly, the commentators laughed out loud because of this incident. Ever since that incident, he has been affectionately known as 'Snot Toss'.

btw I was reading Wikipedia some more, and theres on Blizzard Game I never new about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shattered_Nations Was cancled early in development I guess. Sounds similar to Warzone 2100.

(L)Im Yo Hwan is my favorite. Awesome Terran player. That guy is the god of Starcraft.

I coulda guessed that numbers. You Crazy Korean.(No offense) I'd actually like to watch this guy play once.

You made a good purchase. It's the best RTS ever made and there will probably never be another one as good. Unless they make a StarCraft 2

You made a good purchase. It's the best RTS ever made and there will probably never be another one as good. Unless they make a StarCraft 2

And even then they better get it bloody right.

They will, but SC2 will never be seen as being as good as SC becuase SC has that one advantage no advancement in technology or game play can overcome, nostalgia. SC is fondly remembered as the best RTS ever by many, and I doubt even its sequil can even wrestle that crown from it.

They will, but SC2 will never be seen as being as good as SC becuase SC has that one advantage no advancement in technology or game play can overcome, nostalgia. SC is fondly remembered as the best RTS ever by many, and I doubt even its sequil can even wrestle that crown from it.
Very true. Starcraft will remain for probably many years to come the greatest RTS ever created. However hopefully Starcraft 2 will still be a very good game. Blizzard doesn't know how to make bad pc games, with every pc game being an absolutely mind blowing success.

Very true. Starcraft will remain for probably many years to come the greatest RTS ever created. However hopefully Starcraft 2 will still be a very good game. Blizzard doesn't know how to make bad pc games, with every pc game being an absolutely mind blowing success.

Ahhh, The Lost Vikings. That was a badass game.

Someone get me on Xfire/msn/whatever and lets get a damned big game of starcraft going

Ahhh, The Lost Vikings. That was a badass game.
While I never played any of there old Atari games, I heard they were pretty good. I remember they ported them to Game Boy Advance.

I dont know about "greatest RTS ever"

I think that Total Annihilation was technically a better game, although I have fond memories of both.

I think its pretty much a tie between the two.

However, Company of Heroes is getting really close to overturning that title for both of them. And hopefully supreme commander next year will be good enough to challenge them.

It was also for the PC though. It was a great game.

www.blizzard.com/blizzclassic/vikingsdemo.shtml

PS Google apparently wants us to download games!
Wow thats pretty cool.

I think that Total Annihilation was technically a better game, although I have fond memories of both.
The main thing with TA is...lets take a look at Diversity and Balance between the Races.
Oh wait... TA's races are extremely similar. In the actual campaign it really didn't hold up with a great story and the AI did fall short to. This is why Starcraft is so competitive and fun and had what many other games, especially before it, lacked. Not to say TA isn't a great game and would definently be in the Top 3 RTS's of all time.

Throw in Starcraft has UMS maps that and then you have an insane amount of pure, original, and fun content. Add in a sweet online service and you have something amazing.

You know... the most underrated RTS of all time has to be Warzone 2100.

The biggest reason StarCraft is still alive is the UMS maps. The map creator was easy *hell, I made some maps, not great ones, but maps none-the-less.* The complexity and fun of some of the UMS maps are..just mind boggling. And just downright fun.

TA was a fun game, granted. I love the game, but the AI was retarded *hell the hardest lvl was easy.* and the modding community was nill. There was no really easy way of playing that game multiplayer either. I had to download Gayspy arcarde, guh.

And the races, are as stated, are the virtual same, but different skins. There is no true balance, and that is what sets StarCraft leagues ahead of the others. The increadable amount of balance.

I had to download Gayspy arcarde, guh.
Gamespy.... yuck...

It stops responding every other minute for me.

The biggest reason StarCraft is still alive is the UMS maps. The map creator was easy *hell, I made some maps, not great ones, but maps none-the-less.* The complexity and fun of some of the UMS maps are..just mind boggling. And just downright fun.
I was actually a very good creator at maps. Using several programs such as X-tra, Starforge, and Scmdraft 2. Creating some very complex maps consisting of easily over 700+ triggers on a map that was designed to use the least triggers as I could for it.
I know Specs for the format on creating maps(Editing maps with a hexadecimal program). I've created programs to edit maps. Hell I know the MPQ specs to create my own MPQ archivers.

I learned a lot cuz of UMS map making.

Another big reason would be how big Starcraft has been in WCG.

Gamespy.... yuck...

It stops responding every other minute for me.

I was actually a very good creator at maps. Using several programs such as X-tra, Starforge, and Scmdraft 2. Creating some very complex maps consisting of easily over 700+ triggers on a map that was designed to use the least triggers as I could for it.
I know Specs for the format on creating maps(Editing maps with a hexadecimal program). I've created programs to edit maps. Hell I know the MPQ specs to create my own MPQ archivers.

I learned a lot cuz of UMS map making.

Another big reason would be how big Starcraft has been in WCG.

Damned intelligent people. >< :p And yeah, I mean, Korea still has TV tournaments and leagues for the game still. It's amazing.

When i was younger i always went to my neightboor house on the country side, he was like 5 years older then me and played Starcraft all the time. On the country side you cant do much as a kid so i just sat beside him and watch him pwn noobs. I never played because i simply sucked and i didnt like playing on a Mac, it feelt like betraying my herritage (PC FTW STFU). Anyway, i tryed it out some months ago at a friends house but it wasnt the same...i dont know why but...when i got control over the battlefield, it was just BOORING, i dont know why but i just got boored real quick :/
I think its because of the graphics, back then i thought it was uber cool and when i had my expectations coming back to it they where crushed because i was chocked the game was 2D (yes, i first thought it was 3D)

Starcraft is one of the games i never gotten into, i play other Blizzard rts and rpgs (not mmorpgs) but starcraft...no thank you. Not my thing. I respect the community but i dont feel like im a part of it.

C&C FTW

Back