Kraken Base

G Man

Reaction score
Hi, Ever since Half-Life 2 I've been wondering about the area known as Kraken Base. Please post any ideas/facts/theories about the base as you can :D

Kraken Base, located on a small arctic island just off the coast northwest of City 17. I believe it was the original area you were supposed to encounter Dr. Mossman in, just before heading up to Weather Control. Now it's apparently some kind of facility housing a combine "project" the resistance is looking for. Last known whereabouts of Dr. Mossman.

Pretty much. Was originally planned to be a scene after another scene on an icebreaker, both were dropped, as was the C-130 flight back into the City...

Kraken is supposed to hold a huge machine in which the combine are sucking up clean air and spewing out some sort of poison which makes it both easier for them to live in, and also assists in the extinction of the human race...

That was the air exchange, which is near City 17. Far as I know, Kraken Base's purpose wasn't known, or isn't well documented.

I believe in the old story, Kraken had robot mechs or something like that

No, that was the Weather control. Upon arrival at the facility the Combine deployed mechs to assist in the fight against the rebels.

Darkside55 said:
Kraken Base, located on a small arctic island just off the coast northwest of City 17. I believe it was the original area you were supposed to encounter Dr. Mossman in, just before heading up to Weather Control. Now it's apparently some kind of facility housing a combine "project" the resistance is looking for. Last known whereabouts of Dr. Mossman.

Hmm, I didn't think it was a Combine project. I thought it was a piece of technology that they didn't want the Combine to discover.

Kraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaackennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

Obviously Kracken Base is the home of an actual Kracken that makes its living by sinking ships. :D

On the subject, Kracken Base is probably related to a resistance project not affiliated with Eli Vance's faction. If it was a Combine project, chances are Mossman as the turncoat she was would not hive to pin down the Project's location.

That's not necessarily true. Just because you're on the enemy side doesn't mean they're going to give you all the secrets. That is not the way to run an evil empire, let me tell you.

And it could be a resistance project, rather than a Combine project. Who knows. I'm going to assume it's a Combine project though thanks to the rapid response of the soldiers and hunters, among other things. But maybe it is something humans were working on before the Combine came and busted it up, and now Mossman and her team are heading back in to retrieve it.

I'm pretty sure its a resistance project - the focus being on "Compromise our work."

where are you guys unearthing this "old story" from? i've never heard about it until this thread. can i find more somewhere?

i just finished watching youtube videos of the half-life 2 beta when they still had a sniper rifle and stalkers were more skeleton-like so dropped HL2 material is interesting to me at the moment. :)

It just occured to me that Mossman must have travelled very fast since the end of HL2/beginning of EP1 to get there.

i think kraken is where the stoners and homeless wandered to when
they realized a bunch of people were gonna start shooting each other

'oh, man, how am i gonna listen to the dead in copenhagen over all that
rocket fire?'

# Encounter with Owen on the Borealis. The Borealis was a science icebreaker that was, in some versions of the planned game, stranded in the ocean. Owen, sometimes named Odell, was the engineer of the original ship and leader of a group of rebels. His model was later re-used for that of Odessa Cubbage. After the battle fought with Captain Vance, Gordon travels on foot to the Borealis, which in turn takes him across the ocean bay.
# Encounter with Doctor Mossman in the "Kraken." The Kraken was either a stranded science ship, locked in ice or beached in the shallow depths of a nearly dried ocean, or a rebel base of sorts. Judith Mossman met the player here for a period of time before Gordon leaves, on foot, and advances through a Combine Weather Control Complex.
# Consul confrontation in the Citadel. After battling through the Weather Control Complex, the player would board "Flight C-130" and travel back across the ocean towards the New City. Here he would either land at or fight into the Citadel to confront the Consul. The Consul was the origin of Doctor Breen's character and his model went through several different incarnations. (Flight C-130 was intended to crash into a building called "Vertigo", a museum or palace of sorts. The player would then continue his journey again on foot, and soon reach the citadel and navigate through it to meet the consul. This was slightly modified, with the vertigo chapter removed, to form the current Citadel level.)

quoted from wiki

whhhhyyy did valve cutted soo many gooodies..this story sound more interesting than the one we have imo@_@

looking 4ward to Missing info...

I disagree. The story was definately too cramped. You've only heard about them, so why call them goodies when you haven't seen them in action?

Yeah but Alyx and Gordon were obviously kept in stasis for a bit, plus Alyx says at the start that they were trying to reach Eli 'for hours' until the found you, so gives her enough time to get to where she was ;)

They're goodies because it's human nature to want what you can't have. I wouldn't mind having them myself either.

Still, from the sound of that Gordon would travel half across the globe in a matter of hours? That'd be so confusing and unsatisfying. The levels would certainly have been awesome but you need some continuity and logic in the level transitions.

At the start of ep1, just after you are pulled from the wreckage, Alyx says they were trying to reach Eli 'for hours', therefore since the end of Half-Life 2 to when you finally take control of Gordon in ep1, it has already been quite a few hours, therefore giving Mossman enough time to get to the Kraken Base ;)

At the start of ep1, just after you are pulled from the wreckage, Alyx says they were trying to reach Eli 'for hours', therefore since the end of Half-Life 2 to when you finally take control of Gordon in ep1, it has already been quite a few hours, therefore giving Mossman enough time to get to the Kraken Base ;)

That does not prove that Gordon was in stasis, nor does it prove that Alyx was in stasis or even unconscious like Gordon, as she has indeed as you pointed out, been trying to reach Eli for hours.

I disagree. The story was definately too cramped. You've only heard about them, so why call them goodies when you haven't seen them in action?

QFT.
You can't say things are good when you haven't seen them.

Back