Ladders?

B

Black

I don't know of it already has been here on the forum.
Is it possible for the enemies and NPC's to climb ladders so that they can flee or pursuit you?

I hope they do ladders better than Doom 3. In Doom when you turn around while you are on a ladder you fall down. Why didn't they simply restirct the head movement while you are on a ladder like in Call of Duty.

lazicsavo said:
I hope they do ladders better than Doom 3. In Doom when you turn around while you are on a ladder you fall down. Why didn't they simply restirct the head movement while you are on a ladder like in Call of Duty.

I agree - although this is going off topic - going down ladders in Doom 3 was a pain as I kept falling down - for some reason it was executed very weirdly - I looked down the ladder and pressed the forward button (halo and half-life style) but it didn't work. So I did this weird jump down the hole and grab the ladder fast thing - which didn't work most of the time and I lost quite a bit of health.

lazicsavo said:

ya same here, if there re as many ladders in HL2 as there where in the first one, i hope they are seamless. Thats cool that the AI can do all that stuff, it will make the game seem a lot more real.

Basic things like latter climbing, health packs, weapon carying will be the same as HL. They whant to keep the same feel. Which is good

I think for the sake of fun gameplay, the gun should stay in your 2 hand like normal. but if they were trying to make it more realistic, like counter-strike source, they should have 1 hand keeping you on the ladder, allowing for only one hand on the gun, having a bad accuracy and slow rate of fire.

When you move up or down a ladder you should not be able to fire, but if you are stationary on the ladder you should be able to shoot, with some panelities to accuracy of course.

yes they can. Have u seen the video where the combine soldier gets impaled by that blue stringy creature? The combine climbs down a ladder and jumps off.

Ermm ladder climbing in doom3 is great.Its kinda acctuly real last time i checked when ur going down a 90 degree and ladder you face towards it while you climb down not the other way :| .

Last time I checked in real life you could look behind you while going up a ladder and not fall off. You could even walk up it backwards if you really wanted to. Not that it matters, since these are games, not reality.

you can turn a little but i guess thats the effect the wanted..

Just as long as its not as imposible as hl1 OMG.
those ladders were pointless i would just jump down.

yes they can. Have u seen the video where the combine soldier gets impaled by that blue stringy creature? The combine climbs down a ladder and jumps off.

Yeah, good point. I had forgotten about that scene. Because that part was obviously scripted, I didn't think much of it the first time I saw it, but I really hope HL2 employs a ladder-climbing ability for some or all enemies. It takes all the fun and/or fear out of a combat situation when you can easily evade an enemy by climbing a small ladder and sitting on top of a crate.

I haven't seen a single-player game yet where human enemies can relentlessly pursue you up ladders, duck through pipes, and jump over obstacles while giving chase, and if HL2 can pull it off, it will be all the more amazing. Should be good to see what Valve has in store for us.

-UnmarkedOne

yea i read like a Last YEAR article which says they can do what u do (in a sense) ie climb ladders, climb poles up the side of a house, climb boxes and all that. so would be sooo great to see that in action

guys...in either one of the uk's pc gamer's or pc zone (or maybe somewhere else) they said that getting up ladders would be done by a simple fading out until u got to the top or bottom where it would fade back in again...sorry i can't remember the source...

Hunchback said:
guys...in either one of the uk's pc gamer's or pc zone (or maybe somewhere else) they said that getting up ladders would be done by a simple fading out until u got to the top or bottom where it would fade back in again...sorry i can't remember the source...

Umm, fading out?

i thought that the ladder climbin was changed in HL2. i cn't remember where i heard it but wen up start to climb a ladder u jus automatically get sent to the top

B-MAn said:
i thought that the ladder climbin was changed in HL2. i cn't remember where i heard it but wen up start to climb a ladder u jus automatically get sent to the top

I wouldn't be that suprised, however, as the same sort of style occurs when you use the crane or enter and exit the buggy and airboat. Why not ladders right? All you really do is climb up and down them--sure you could maybe turn around and fire. Maybe valve'll just make it an option:

-Auto Ladders ON OFF

auto ladders = auto gay

they wouldn't do that to a lovely game such as this.

"you could mod it"

But wouldnt that kind of disrupt the whole thing about you being gordon and stuff, teleporting to the top of a ladder is no worse then a cut scene. Maybe I'm wrong I dont know any better

That was just another bit of misinterpretation. If you watch the E3 2004 vid, you see that the ladder climbing seems to be under the full control of the player.

Besides, VALVe know that sort of thing would royally suck on long ladders in places like elevator shafts...

Of course you climb ladders manually - who the hell says it's auto?

see the E3 2004 video for this.

Back