Laptop controls...

G

Geddy5

Howdy. This is my first post in this forum. I just bought a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop - pc's chair was hard on my back when I played for too long. Now I can lay on my couch and play hl2! The only problem is now the touch pad is too small to really play it well. Should I get a Bluetooth mouse or a game controller or what? Those of you that use a laptop, how do you do it?

Thanks!

touch pad
Rofl. :rolling:

No seriously, you need a mouse. I highly recommend a Razer mouse as well as the Razer eXactMat. You can find them here. I personally have the DiamondBack and eXactMat. :thumbs:

Penfold_ said:

No seriously, you need a mouse. I highly recommend a Razer mouse as well as the Razer eXactMat. You can find them here. I personally have the DiamondBack and eXactMat. :thumbs:

QFT

I have the same setup as Penfold and it rocks. But of course you can also settle for a cheaper mouse. The MX510 is a good alternative.

play an fps with the touchpad :O
if you could master that you'd be a god!!!

get a mouse

Since you mentioned pains on the desktop, I assume you already have a mouse. So just raise a surface like a bed and break fast table and if it isn't long enough place a board on top of it. Now you can play there too!

Thanks for the replies. I read some reviews on the Razer and it seems pretty well respected, though some people didn't like the way it felt in their hand. That, of course led them to recommend another mouse. The one that sounds like it has the most support (from what I've read so far) is the Logitech G5. I'm about to head over to Bestbuy to see what they have.
Any thoughts on the G5?

Thanks.

I personally find that the Logitech mice fit your hand 'too well'. This might sound strange to some, as you might think "that's the whole point", but in fact it isn't completely. Anyone can create an object that fits the hand perfectly comfortably, but that doesn't necessarily make it a good gaming mouse.

Razer have created an ambidextrous mouse that is very comfortable, yet you can still rest the base of your palm on the mat for ultimate control over your mouse moving the mouse with only your fingers and thumb. Whereas, with the Logitech gaming mice, you fit your whole hand over the mouse (at least that's what I found), thereby forcing you to move your whole hand/wrist, instead of just your fingers. This just doesn't work when it comes to those 'reflex shots'.

I'm sure some people will say they love the Logitech mice - of course it's all a matter of opinion and what suits your hand. If you can, try/hold several mice out, before you go and spend loads on a mouse you don't like, then you can see what suits your hand best. Also, make sure you read reviews on the net (by proper gamers) to help you make your decision.

So, basically I would highly recommend a Razer mouse because they are comfortable enough, without stopping you feel like you're in control. (I've been using Razer's for about three years now so they must be good :cheers::bounce: ).

I know nothing of the G5, but i have used my teachers razorback mouse, and it really is a precise piece of kit, your talking a seriously good mouse, despite what the reviews say. Don't rule it out completely, its definately worth considering.

I'm not trying to sell you one, i use a microsoft intellimouse 4.0 (silver) with 5 buttons, people may judge, but i really love it. I'm not that much of a serious gamer though.

Ah, the times I pwned in Earth 2150 (3D version) with the touchpad ;(

It's been said, but get a mouse!
I currently use a Logitech MX510 and it works wonderfully...

Well, I ended up buying the Diamondback, but I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it - it seems so twitchy even at the low sensitivity settings. I should probably mess around with it a little more before making up my mind. It feels really good to my hand and it has two (usable) side buttons where as the G5 only has one side button. However, the G5 was on sale for $50 and the DB was $80 - Bestbuy is pretty expensive.
Trying to play FEAR was pretty tough - aiming was pretty shakey, but I will give HL2 another try once I can consign myself to trying that stupid WaterHazard level again. I keep getting lost while running away from that chopper that keeps chasing me!

You might want to check your Windows mouse sensitivity settings, just play around with the two until you're happy.

:D

Penfold_ said:

I've been using a laptop for about a year or so without a mouse. I pwn all with the touchpad. It's just as easy to aim. The only problems come when you have to press left+right click at the same time or something like that, since they're directly below the touchpad.

I play Natural Selection almost everyday as "The Dude" on "Sentiel's" server if you want to see.

Luckily my PC has finally been fixed, and my new room is finished being renovated so I'm almost set to go back onto the fast PC, woot.

john3571000 said:
play an fps with the touchpad :O
if you could master that you'd be a god!!!

get a mouse
Try to play fps with the P990 saitek pad. Bloody difficut, almost impossible.

My sister used to play some FPS on her bed. She layed the laptop on her thigh and place the mouse on a bed and breakfast table.

Geddy5 said:
Well, I ended up buying the Diamondback, but I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it - it seems so twitchy even at the low sensitivity settings. I should probably mess around with it a little more before making up my mind. It feels really good to my hand and it has two (usable) side buttons where as the G5 only has one side button. However, the G5 was on sale for $50 and the DB was $80 - Bestbuy is pretty expensive.
Trying to play FEAR was pretty tough - aiming was pretty shakey, but I will give HL2 another try once I can consign myself to trying that stupid WaterHazard level again. I keep getting lost while running away from that chopper that keeps chasing me!
ComradeBadger said:
You might want to check your Windows mouse sensitivity settings, just play around with the two until you're happy.

:D
Yeah, you should always have your Windows mouse sensitivity slider set to the middle point. Anyone who has trouble, wants help with or needs to ask about all things Razer, head over to the Razer Blueprints community here (the forums are very helpful).

If you are having 'twitchy' problems with the mouse, it might be Window's stupid acceleration - ask on the forums for help with completely getting rid of this (I have, and find it a lot easier now).

I find an MS optical wheel mouse perfectly adequate. Although I have completed level three of Far Cry using my graphics tablet. :D

woah thats hardcore!
kudos to anyone who can that with a stylus

Sulkdodds said:
I find an MS optical wheel mouse perfectly adequate. Although I have completed level three of Far Cry using my graphics tablet. :D

I've always wanted to try using my Tablet for an FPS, just to see what it's like, guess I never found the time :rolleyes:

Back