last time

killahsin-[CE] said:
And what exactly is wrong posey? Why are you so biased as to say its valve and not the development community as a whole? Why must you continue to try to spread misinformation here? What interests is it of yours to try to defame valve as a good developer?

What have they done wrong here? What they have done is STANDARD practice is the game industry. Perhaps your crusade should be against the game industry on a legalality pr issue, rather than trying to defame one developer. Sure one can always agree and accept that develoeprs giving projected release date windows are a bad thing. But one must understand that it is those exact fans who are begging for such projections, whether they are right or wrong. Surely everyone is dissapointed that the game didn't come out yet. But to lie outright about other developers or this one in particular just to justify yourself here is rediculous.

i have no crusade. im simply stating how it is. valve is a mockery on many sites. i like valve though.

Feath said:
You completely misunderstood me. I'm talking about being an easy target for people who wish to prove their favourite company is better. The reputation comes from three things:

1) They released Half-Life a year later than planned in order to turn it into a decent game. I don't think anyone would say that this was a bad thing, it was also a concious choice instead of just missing the target by a year.

2) Condition Zero coming out a lot later than expected. The change of developers were a key factor in this and Valve didn't even make the game.

3) The anticipation for Half-Life 2 was huge running up to the 30th of September. Because it was such a famous date (and game), when it was missed a lot of people thought that Valve were worse than Satan for missing it.

That's why I put reputation in quotes, it's not as deserved as people think. All developers release some games later than planned. Quake came out at least 6 months later than id first said it would. Doom had fans ringing up id saying "Just release the f'ing game already".

Yeah exactly.

I've always seen Valve as a company like Blizzard, although Blizzard has a bigger trackrecord than Valve has. But i would say that Blizzard has similar taste of quality vs. quantity.

(Which is also why i normally use them in my comparisons)

FISKER_Q said:
Yeah exactly.

I've always seen Valve as a company like Blizzard, although Blizzard has a bigger trackrecord than Valve has. But i would say that Blizzard has similar taste of quality vs. quantity.

(Which is also why i normally use them in my comparisons)

blizzard has one thing from the majority of their fans that valve does not, which is respect. not to mention better planning abilities. their fans are as pleased as punch for the most part, unlike hl2 fans.

poseyjmac said:
blizzard has one thing from the majority of their fans that valve does not, which is respect. not to mention better planning abilities. their fans are as pleased as punch for the most part, unlike hl2 fans.

again you post misinformation and outright lies. Blizzard has missed more release dates than any other developer, ever. If you pay attention to blizzard fansites most of it is flames. You can't name one blizzard game that hasn't been delayed. Not one, lol, in fact while most people flame here and flame there they stillr espect blizzard and they stillr espect valve. Like you said a few posts up. You like valve, yet you flame them.

Valve runs the same business as blizzard. Blizzard has just been around quite a bit longer as a single entity.

I'll ask again why do you deny the truth that its the standard? Why spread misinformation and outright lies? Why defend every other developer who has and still does the exact same thing valve has done?

poseyjmac said:

Respect? Try looking at their boards. They have just as much respect as valve has, again as the other guy said about immature brats with the attentionspan of a one year old.

But there are people who do use a bit of common sense.

Planning abillities? Try looking at their releases(Despite being promised a patch all the time "soon"). I believe their Patch for Diablo 2: LOD (1.10) Took over a year to make if i remember correctly.

And it did add alot of new cool stuff.

killahsin-[CE] said:
again you post misinformation and outright lies. Blizzard has missed more release dates than any other developer, ever. If you pay attention to blizzard fansites most of it is flames. You can't name one blizzard game that hasn't been delayed. Not one, lol, in fact while most people flame here and flame there they stillr espect blizzard and they stillr espect valve. Like you said a few posts up. You like valve, yet you flame them.

Valve runs the same business as blizzard. Blizzard has just been around quite a bit longer as a single entity.

I'll ask again why do you deny the truth that its the standard? Why spread misinformation and outright lies? Why defend every other developer who has and still does the exact same thing valve has done?

*sigh* quote me where i flamed valve. then we'll continue

FISKER_Q said:
Respect? Try looking at their boards. They have just as much respect as valve has, again as the other guy said about immature brats with the attentionspan of a one year old.

But there are people who do use a bit of common sense.

Planning abillities? Try looking at their releases(Despite being promised a patch all the time "soon"). I believe their Patch for Diablo 2: LOD (1.10) Took over a year to make if i remember correctly.

And it did add alot of new cool stuff.

there are always the bad apples in any community, hl2 community members can be more biased AGAINST hl2 than people who have no bias toward it. like i said look at other unbiased news sites under comments. the only companies getting bashed are 3drealms and valve.

poseyjmac said:
haha. none of those are complaints. 2 of them are reasons for complainers to be annoyed. i was explaining why. the other two i was stating how valve brown nosers are so uptight and the ones getting mad in this thread.

you fell into the trap quite nicely. now behave yourself and get on with your life.

I'm sorry your right your not flaming valve, your flaming or 'complaining' rather for those who cannot come and complain themselves. The 'other' ones who are upset. Your just stating and defending 'their' viewpoint. Not your own. Your right I'm wrong. Your not spreading misinformation or propaganda even though you wont address the questions directly. Your just spreading 'other' peoples misinformation and propaganda here.

My bad, im done responding to this post. Have a nice day continuing on 'other peoples' defamation and propaganda war :rolleyes:

poseyjmac said:
no, i said a doom3 news site would post biased comments about halflife2, unlike an unbiased site like ve3d. next?

And just before I leave I want to comment on this. VE3D has been for eyars a great site. Since billy first ran it to this day (to an extent). Andy did great work, apache is eh. The point is whats the site known for? It's known for its flames. Ahh before IGN took over and doom 3 was announced wow the flames. When it was firstd elayed wow the flames. Why have there always been flames on VE3D? Because VE3d has been built from the ground up on flaming humor . For almosta decade fans of many titles, have come there to flame eachothers favorite titles to hell. Why this developer is crap or that developer. Or even the infamous 3dfx vs Nvidia flame wars. Hah, or more recently yet oh so reflective of history. The 9700 pro vs 5800fx seriers card flame wars. There was a 4 week flame war vs half life 2 fans and doom 3 fans on ve3d comments section. If you knew the history of VE3D, you might udnerstand why that site might have alot of flames =)

I love VE3D :p

poseyjmac said:
there are always the bad apples in any community, hl2 community members can be more biased AGAINST hl2 than people who have no bias toward it. like i said look at other unbiased news sites under comments. the only companies getting bashed are 3drealms and valve.
An unbiased news site, doesn't give you unbiased members.

The whole point with a comment is to share your own opinion and therefor bias.

killahsin-[CE] said:
I'm sorry your right your not flaming valve, your flaming or 'complaining' rather for those who cannot come and complain themselves. The 'other' ones who are upset. Your just stating and defending 'their' viewpoint. Not your own. Your right I'm wrong. Your not spreading misinformation or propaganda even though you wont address the questions directly. Your just spreading 'other' peoples misinformation and propaganda here.

My bad, im done responding to this post. Have a nice day continuing on 'other peoples' defamation and propaganda war :rolleyes:

im not complaining or flaming for anyone else. im stating why those people would do it. im showing why valve isnt the perfect company that people make them out to be based on unbiased accounts.

I personally cant think of one company that tells the public their games out next week and its one year on now without the public even knowing if its this year.

Can anybody else?

FISKER_Q said:
An unbiased news site, doesn't give you unbiased members.

The whole point with a comment is to share your own opinion and therefor bias.

it gives you members that like to game. of course one shouldn't just go to 1 site and make a conclusion from that, which is why i said go to several sites, maybe some irc channels too.

Gran Turismo 4 and Halo 2 have been delayed even longer than Half-Life 2. And they were both announced earlier as well.

What really hurts with Half-Life 2 was that the previous game was already four and a half years old before the sequel was even announced or unveiled.

That and their original insistance that September 30, 2003 was going to be the release date. If they had said at E3 2003 that "you'll play it at some point in 2004" nobody would be mad.

None of this will stop me from buying the game (probably on steam since we've got like 3/5 of it now) but it's very annoying.

kkevin666 said:
I personally cant think of one company that tells the public their games out next week and its one year on now without the public even knowing if its this year.

Can anybody else?

I personally cant think of one company that tells the public that thier upcomming game will be the only game to use a geForce3 to it's full extent. Yet, by the time it's released, it won't can't even run on that card.

Can anybody else?

kkevin666 said:

Can anybody else?

We have been told countless times that it will be out this year.

And one other thing, you cant give a date if you dont know it for certain yourself.

And another thing!! Now that I am here... Valve seem to have learnt not to give specific dates because they know there is allways a chance they will miss them. And they know that in their specific case... its more than likely lol..

Oh and I didnt mean that I didnt believe other sites make fun of VALVe. I meant that I dont believe that HL2 is the only game thats ever been in this situtation and it wont be the last. Its the the fact that everyone follows this game so much more closely that they are bothered.

I mean on every game forum I have been on I have found a thread about HL2. Even on really obscure ones..
Its not supprising people get exasperated with what they percive (cant spell....) to be delay after delay. Its something many have been anticipating for a long long time.

Oh and I say perceved (SP lol) because VALVe have actually given out very few dates. Alot have been rumours/bullshit/from Vivendi...(Same as the other two really..)

Neway, I prolly should get some sleep. Bye...

Alright people, calm down and stay on topic or I'm going to close this thread.

when was a game delayed for a year...

well, Perfect Dark came to mind. But they didnt show it at e3 until just before its release, so noone really knew about it. It was well worth the wait.

But ya, The offical rules of chess was held back a couple hundred years, while human society had to sort out the different variations and <controvercial statement> force everyone into christian faith.</controvercial statement>

Back