Leaked HL2 plot, doubtful

N

nw909

Ok I didn't write this, some guy at steampowered did:

Leaked HL2 plot!
IF YOU DO NOT WANT THE HL PLOT SPOILED FOR YOU, DO NOT READ!

Here is the HL2 story, read it quick because I have no doubt it will be removed from the forums not too long from now. It may not be accurate to the smallest detail, but the basic story is true and correct.

The Gman is head of the "combine" , a special project that was started after gordon helped him take control of zen 15 years ago. The "combine" is a project to combine human and alien DNA to form a superior race that will rule the world: hence the name "combine"

Something has gone wrong (possibly sabotouge by the resistance) and the leaders have lost control of the project and now the aliens are spreading throughout the city. Now enters gordon, sent by the Gman to be a "cleaner" which means his job is to eliminate the hostile aliens that are threatening the project (gordon doesnt know about the real nature of the project) Along the way, he meets his old friends who are part of the resistance and he decides to fight against the combine and free the world of this threat. The combine soldiers wear masks so they appear fully human to the public and not like the alien hybrids they really are.
Along the way gordon will find out that nothing at all went "wrong" at Black Mesa, the accident was all part of the Gmans scheme to capture Zen and create his race of hybrids. The only real question is: will gordon take down the Gman for good this time, or will there be an opening for another sequel?

hey its better than a delay thread.

interesting, we should email gabe and send the reply to that steam thread.

watch his reaction

heh heh

I thought HL2 was like 5 years after HL1 or something... 15 years, hell Gordon would be an old man! :)
At any rate, there isnt anything in there that havent been publicly speculated already...

I thought it was 5 as well, because at the opening of the 600 mb video on the first video (g-man) gabe states "It's been 5 years" and some person in the audience goes "he loos like hell" and everyone has a jolly ol' laugh!

They're referring to how long it has been since Half-Life 1. You people don't read into anything, or you read into everything too much. "He looks like hell," meaning how crappy the model was for the G-Man for HL1. The game itself in time is 15 years after the Black Mesa incident.

oh... okay, its all clear now (and yeah I know he looks like hell he was referring to the original model, he was joking)

Originally posted by nw909
It is 15 years later...

:dozey:

no one but valve knows how long it's been, all the previews say some ammount of time has passed, i think one magazine made a guess that it was 15 years, but valve only told them that some ammount of time had passed. i keep wondering where people got this 15 years notion.

Check out the info from valve only thread and cut the **** , it IS 15 years, this has been said by Gabe several times... know it, and post it, you dont know it, read it..

Guess Gordon has a good plastic surgeon, cause he looks as young as ever... Now when I think on it, he actually looks younger in HL2 :p

Well if I remember correctly Gordon was 27 in the first game (it was displayed during the opening ride into Black Mesa.)

15 years later would make him 42. Hmm a bit old, but possibe. The pictures I've seen of him (ie top left corner of your screen) sorta look like hes in his early-mid 30's. Some of the scientist do look much older tho, (the black one lost all of his hair when he wasn't bald in HL1.) The G Man would probably look older than he does tho.

Interesting theory... a wild guess, but a good read. I bet he atleast got the "Combine" part right, although I think they look human underneath the masks.

Originally posted by scrayN
Check out the info from valve only thread and cut the **** , it IS 15 years, this has been said by Gabe several times... know it, and post it, you dont know it, read it..

AYFR?!?!?!? YAFR!!!!!!

i just manually searched every page of the info from valve thread for "15" and NOWHERE IN THAT THREAD DOES GABE CONFIRM, OR EVEN MENTION THE 15 YEAR THING.

so, buddy, it's time for you to "cut the crap".

point me to a quote, point me to something official (not a magazines 'guess') that says it's been 15 years, otherwise shut your yapper.

the 15 years is true, ive read it somewhere too (in a magazine or something)

I could've sworn it was 2 years after the incidents in Black Mesa..need to watch the videos again,I suppose.

Originally posted by RadiuS
the 15 years is true, ive read it somewhere too (in a magazine or something)

bullshit, post a link, tell me what page of what magazine (i have every HL2 magazine article from every magazine scanned (at least the original unveiling articles)) i've read them all, nowhere did it ever say 15 years, if it did it was a magazine making a guess, even in PC Gamer it says the time that has passed was kept secret, valve wouldn't tell them. i find it hard to believe they would give that exclusive to one magazine, or an email to some fan flooding them with email.

here's a quote form pc gamer

While Half-Life 2 appears to take place on Earth -- a hefty portion of the game is set in a fictional metropolis called City 17 in a region that resembles Eastern Europe -- Valve is cagey about revealing too much information. Even how much time has passed between games is a deep, dark secret, largely because Gordon's whereabouts and activities during the break are part of Half-Life 2's series of surprise twists.

Pressed for details, Gabe Newell would confirm only that if there are any jaunts off-planet in Half-Life 2, they "won't be as jarring" as Half-Life's concluding Xen levels, which had you hopping around the planet's surface in an improbable string of jumping puzzles.

Originally posted by XtAkm4p
calm down dude....

15 years it is

so how come i can't find anything official that says 15 years? i am calm, but i think this misinformation about it being 15 years has been circulating long enough.

I remember a Gabe quote that says "It's about 15 years"

Originally posted by Chris_D
I remember a Gabe quote that says "It's about 15 years"

i dont suppose you can remember where the quote was published huh?

seems to be the way things go...someone remembers something said by someone in some magazine or something, but they can't for the life of them find the source again.

It was published in the New England Journal of Unfounded Rumors 2003 edition...

Originally posted by Xtasy0
i dont suppose you can remember where the quote was published huh?

seems to be the way things go...someone remembers something said by someone in some magazine or something, but they can't for the life of them find the source again.

My uncle, who works for Kaiser, has a friend who got an E-mail from a guy who overheard a conversation in a restaurant from a woman who slept with Gabe, who said, "HL2 is all media hype. There is no game, and we are just trying to boost sales of Counter-Strike: Condition Zero"

Ah, the rumor mill. Fun for the WHOLE family!

I agree with Xtasy0. I have nowhere seen anything from valve regarding "15" years. In fact I remember people starting 15 years rumors before the info from valve thread even started.

I don't belive in any of this bullcrap.
That's more than likley some sort of theory about the game that someone came up with and even if it was leaked by some minor worker on Valve, the leak was probably fake and just some sort of false rumor just so they could fool us, beliving in something else.
I'm pretty sure that it is a whole other story. I mean come on! 15 years later?! That's wayyy too long.

Originally posted by Murray
I mean come on! 15 years later?! That's wayyy too long.

Agreed. Though the idea of playing a middle-aged Gordan Freeman is pretty funny...:LOL:

Originally posted by Murray
I don't belive in any of this bullcrap.
That's more than likley some sort of theory about the game that someone came up with and even if it was leaked by some minor worker on Valve, the leak was probably fake and just some sort of false rumor just so they could fool us, beliving in something else.
I'm pretty sure that it is a whole other story. I mean come on! 15 years later?! That's wayyy too long.

While I agree with you that the theory is most likely fake, 15 years could have passed... If I may be so bold as to quote myself from a previous post on this thread...
------------------
Well if I remember correctly Gordon was 27 in the first game (it was displayed during the opening ride into Black Mesa.)

15 years later would make him 42. Hmm a bit old, but possibe. The pictures I've seen of him (ie top left corner of your screen) sorta look like hes in his early-mid 30's. Some of the scientist do look much older tho, (the black one lost all of his hair when he wasn't bald in HL1.) The G Man would probably look older than he does tho.

Interesting theory... a wild guess, but a good read. I bet he atleast got the "Combine" part right, although I think they look human underneath the masks.

-------

There is some evidence that it might have been that long. Look at the radically police state people in HL2 live under / fight against. Look at all of the new weapons, etc. The military as we know it is no where to be seen. It seems that the Combine (and/or Xen types) are in control of most of City 17. It could be like this in other cities as well. If that is true, and the whole world is under seige then it really could be that long.

I agree that I'd rather play with Gordan in his 30's than in his 40's but if it fits in the story I don't really mind. I guess we'll find out when the game comes out or confirmed info from Valve is released (whichever is first.)

Atleast they didn't make him look 15 years older and say it's been like only a year later like in Max Payne 2 (which I'm gonna be playing regardless of what Max looks like, of course.)

The story that was just mentioned in the begining of this thread is too simple.
I think it will be more complicated than that.
I mean this is Valve we're talking about here!

Originally posted by RhapSidious
There is some evidence that it might have been that long. Look at the radically police state people in HL2 live under / fight against. Look at all of the new weapons, etc. The military as we know it is no where to be seen. It seems that the Combine (and/or Xen types) are in control of most of City 17. It could be like this in other cities as well. If that is true, and the whole world is under seige then it really could be that long.

I agree that I'd rather play with Gordan in his 30's than in his 40's but if it fits in the story I don't really mind. I guess we'll find out when the game comes out or confirmed info from Valve is released (whichever is first.)

Atleast they didn't make him look 15 years older and say it's been like only a year later like in Max Payne 2 (which I'm gonna be playing regardless of what Max looks like, of course.)
That's not really evidence... Take the US, clean out all crappy hardware (M16, F16, F18 and so on) and replace with new (up factory productions like 5000% :)) and you'll get an air force of stealth bombers and F22 stealth fighter, and an army wielding OICW and personal battle systems as standard... And that's just the advanced weapons we KNOW about. 5 years is alot of time to produce it in. WW2 was 6 years. I dont even want to try and calculate the total tonnage of war material produced during the entire war if you would just had produced and not destroyed.

I still think 15 years is to long. The pictures of him doesnt make sense. 10 years, maybe. 5-10 years, even more likely.

everything in that story line has been discussed about on this forum...all speculation put together in some phrases that just might make sense, but be honest do you really think it is all that simple?

I am very nearly 100% positive I read gabe being quoted as saying that it was indeed 15 years later.

It's interesting that everyone has aged in the game (as far as you can tell from the almost impossible comparison of thr graphics from the two games) except Gordon.

Perhaps the G-man put Gordon is some sort of stasis, cryogenically froze him or something. I do believe i can remember gabe as being quoted as saying that "Gordon has as much idea what's going on as the player", which would support this suggestion.

As for properly referencing these quotes, I can't be bothered, so nyer.

Maybe he didn't age at all, he was just sucked into a time travel portal into the future rightaway because he was left with the G-man last time we saw Mr.Freeman

:bounce: :cheese: :bounce:

Well, you could search this forum and you will find this story in various different "Half-Life 2 Theories" threads.

Even if this is the real story, it doesn't mention anything that you won't find out after playing for 20 minutes. There is quite of a lot of stuff it doesn't mention:

* Barney, why is he there? In fact, why is anyone from Black Mesa there?

* Aliens allied with Gordon, why?

* "The Combine is a fortress that's slowly eating away at City 17". Wouldn't it be confusing to have the project and Fortress called the Combine?

* Father Gregori?

Yeah, so there's not much mentioned in this story when you think about it. Even if it is true we don't come close to knowing all the twists and turns of the full story.

And regarding the 15 years thing; almost all the previews have a line similar to this:

"You're Gordon Freeman and it's some time after the incident at Black Mesa. You find out how long after and what's happened in the course of the game. We're intentionally keeping that a secret for players to find."

I can't remember anywhere where Gabe confirmed that it was 15 years after Black Mesa. I think people just assumed it.

1. Dunno about that.

2. By aliens,if you mean Ant Lions, it's because of the Pharamone(sp?) you have on you,so they think you are thier commander. Gabe said it in the E3 Video. Unless you mean another alien,to which could you clarify?

3. I'm guessing Combine is an official name for them. So they call the Fortress which the Combine occupy, the Combine Fortress. Does make sence, since what other names can go for it? Obelisk? Onxy Fortress? You get my point. It's to specify it's owned by the Combine, and since we dont know how many of those are in existance, there could be too many to give each one a specific name.

4. Father Gregori. Dont know much about him. Does seem a bit wierd he had set traps for Gordon ahead of time,without the Combine finding and exterminating/incarcerating him.

As for the 15 years thing,yeah, Sierra has been extra careful to not give big facts on the story(I'm betting it's going to be somewhat like the Time Machine). Anyone who says when it takes place, either is pulling it out of his ass, or needs to say what his source is.

Originally posted by Tyrion
2. By aliens,if you mean Ant Lions, it's because of the Pharamone(sp?) you have on you,so they think you are thier commander. Gabe said it in the E3 Video. Unless you mean another alien,to which could you clarify?

From http://pc.ign.com/articles/400/400985p3.html
As proof of this, there's an alien slave in the "friendly NPC" room. The brownish guys who used the electrical attack in the first Half-Life, there's currently no explanation as to why they're on your side. Doug simply says, "You actually ally with the slaves and some of the aliens in this game. They move over to the friendly side." Time will tell.

EDIT: This is just one of the Plot elements that aren't explained by the story above. There will probably be a lot more.

Originally posted by Gertrum
I am very nearly 100% positive I read gabe being quoted as saying that it was indeed 15 years later.

It's interesting that everyone has aged in the game (as far as you can tell from the almost impossible comparison of thr graphics from the two games) except Gordon.

Perhaps the G-man put Gordon is some sort of stasis, cryogenically froze him or something. I do believe i can remember gabe as being quoted as saying that "Gordon has as much idea what's going on as the player", which would support this suggestion.

As for properly referencing these quotes, I can't be bothered, so nyer.

Thats what I was going to post after I got done reading through!!! Who knows what G-Man has done with Gordon. Remember he put Adrian in a holding cell , Gordon could have been in the same thing. Well find out in October , I cant wait.

Why do you guys say that sounds too simple? These things always look simple on paper, I mean look at the plot for HL1:

Gordon accidently opens a transdimensional rift and hordes of aliens come through. Gordon has to fight his way out, and eventually get to Xen to destroy the alien threat. Twist: the army is trying to hush up the event by killing everyone at Black Mesa.

That doesn't sound that complicated, now does it?

Originally posted by Feath
As proof of this, there's an alien slave in the "friendly NPC" room. The brownish guys who used the electrical attack in the first Half-Life, there's currently no explanation as to why they're on your side. Doug simply says, "You actually ally with the slaves and some of the aliens in this game. They move over to the friendly side." Time will tell.

Heh,thanks for telling me that. Never knew that those thing are back. The only thing I could think of,is that they are intellegent sentient beings(thier teleporting and tactics in Half-life suggest they're intellegent) so they want to rebel against thier masters, and thus ally with you.

*shrugs*

Edit- Dimi, I just finished my first time through Opposing Force, and it looked like Adrian was left in another dimensional plane instead of in a cell(desolate plane, nothing seemed to be there, suggesting with the black backround and white lights). Maybe G-man comes back and persuades Adrian to also help clear out City-17, much like he told Gordan to?

Back