Lets say the citadel never blew up. Someone hijaked an old nuke and...

Reaction score
Decided to blow up ravenholm.

A city full of mutated creatures, about to mutate again.

What do they become this time?

Ravenholm is obviously the best place to pick, kill humans and you get slowly dying mutated humans.

Mutate mutated creatures, and what the hell do you get then? Do they cancel themselves out and they become human again? Do they become lawyers (No offense angry lawyer :cheers: ), Do they mutate together and become so hideous...?

It does give a good question to how a human is made. How exactly does that come by?

Does our dna come from our stem cells, or another source?

When we get hurt, our cells come to the rescue, either being controlled by the brain or the cells...

Although it's not as effective as our current medicine, we do get healed...

It makes me wonder, could these same cells lie dormant in a person who has been mutated, for some reason or another? Could another mutation cause these cells to weawaken somehow?

Or are the cells dead forever once the person has been mutated?

Because the cells are what makes a person human. Even as a zombie, these cells are still there, just turned off to a certain extent.

So it makes me wonder if two exposes to two giant forms of mutation wouldn't save a person...

Not that I would try it, lol, but it makes me wonder about how a person is made...

Would be kind of screwed up though... Nuking a mutated creature to save it...

Don't just give something they would become, give a reason.

This is meant to be half fun, half serious.

I'd like to know what people think would happen if mutated creatures mutated again.

they are mutants, so if they mutated, they unmutate, becoming humans. there

oh and yes, pointless thread..

1. They were using nukes 30 times less powerful then the ones we have today.
2. Radiation is never a good thing, and it can mutate, although the side affect of mutation is always death.
3. This is a game about headcrabs and zombies, so lets bend the rules a tad, eh?

The fact is though, radiation leakage is a form of mutation, considering it mutates the skin, although it's not going to cause mutants, it will only kill you.

Even so, that does bring to mind something interesting...

Even if you don't bend the rules...

Would it kill the zombies? If they were real? Considering their bodies cells are already lying dormant? Would a certain amount of radiation cause a zombies cells to turn back on, since their cells must digest the air to die?

And in that case, would they start to heal?

Or would they simply die?

A town as small as Ravenholm, a nuke would vaporize it...so, they would mutate into ash...

The few headcrabs sheltered in the mines (the ones which don't collapse due to the big kaboom) die of radiation sickness.

Meanwhile, the SUPER-STRONG ASH combines into a SUPER-STRONG ASHMAN, and goes to kick any ass that it can find. By drowning them in ash. And so forth.

ASHMAN!!1!1!]

DADADADADADADADADADADADADADADADADA!!!111

Japanese aren't mutants? Huh? DAMN. This renders my whole theory about life useless.
:p

The explosion didn't create an army of mutants. Be exact!

You clearly have no idea what so ever of the impliciations of nuclear fallout and how genetic mutation actually works.

Nuclear radiation kills cells. It would mutate cells in a cell that would cause cancers.

Are you a twelve year old?

u are clearly handicapped thinking that a nucleur bomb would do anything but kill the inhabitants of ravenholm with a direct hit ... and also reasoning based on logic from 70s science-fiction movies ... worthless thread

Radiation does cause mutation but not on the scale of causing wierd human-lizard hybrids or what ever else you see in cheesy sci-fi films.

No they cause babies to grow an extra limb out their ear, before they die from cancer at age 2.

Once again I'm said an old nuke... even for our times... Which means a nuke from WW2, which would only take out part of a city.

And like I've gone over before, radiation causes mutation, the only question is, what would it do to something already mutated?

The thing is, mutation to that form isn't exactly possible in this life, which is why I said this post was half joking/half serious.

If it was possible, what would happen?

People, just play along. This is based on a fantasy game. A game where mutatations have happened. The game is scientific, but bends the scientific rules.

As an example, it's simply not possibly for something like a headcrab in our world to take over someone's brain. Taking over all the brain functions of a person while the person is alive and concious won't result in a zombie, it would result in a dead person.

With that in mind, if a nuke was to only take out part of Ravenholm, what would happen in the HL universe, and no in ours?

Keep in mind that the Half Life universe gets genetic mutations, and our world doesn't.

Once again I'm said an old nuke... even for our times... Which means a nuke from WW2, which would only take out part of a city.

And like I've gone over before, radiation causes mutation, the only question is, what would it do to something already mutated?

The thing is, mutation to that form isn't exactly possible in this life, which is why I said this post was half joking/half serious.

If it was possible, what would happen?

People, just play along. This is based on a fantasy game. A game where mutatations have happened. The game is scientific, but bends the scientific rules.

As an example, it's simply not possibly for something like a headcrab in our world to take over someone's brain. Taking over all the brain functions of a person while the person is alive and concious won't result in a zombie, it would result in a dead person.

With that in mind, if a nuke was to only take out part of Ravenholm, what would happen in the HL universe, and no in ours?

Keep in mind that the Half Life universe gets genetic mutations, and our world doesn't.

ravenholm is a small town ... even a world war 2 "nuke" would whipe out the entire place ... your theory = fail. the end.

DUDE, EVOLUTION!!!

Evolution started through mutation. If the single celled amoeba mutated once, got bigger, and better etc. Then mutated again (using your logic) they'd go back a step. Therefore, it wouldn't happen. If you nuke them, they'll just either keep going, or be extinct. Not to mention, if we're using big heavy nukes like you referred to, we're all screwed, and EP2 (or 3 or whatever) would have to take place on the moon -_-.

Lets clear this up for a bit.
Mutation is not the same as Evolution. If it is true that both involve changes in genetic codes, circumstances and results are different.
Mutation is a forced and sudden change of genetic code, and is most likely the result of an error in the Early stages of mitosis. It can either be induced of accidental. Induced mutation scenarios are often caused by environmental factors such as radiation, pollution or chronical poisoning. It means genetic code got damaged at some point during cell division, and as such the cells do not function properly. Most common outcome of such things is cancer, however the most likely scenario is failure to effective execute meiosis, resulting on genetic disorders on someone's blood-line. This should be called mutations, and they are not spontaneus. A living thing as complex as a human being cannot have a thrid arm grow out of its chest by mere mutation, it isnt possible. Headcrab zombies do not mutate, in fact i'd say theres something in the headcrab that produces such changes, however it may require replacing the dna of several body cells to make such changes happen, so i'd say the headcrab's dna of zombification substance isnt conventional at all.
Evolution on the other hand, is extremely slow. You cant force evolution on one individual, neither you can witness evolution as a sudden leap from a generation to other. Some define evolution as "a very lucky mutation" but its nothing like it.
Evolution takes thousands of years to make a significant change on individuals, and changes arent sudden but rather progressive.
Its not like all of a sudden a bird came out of a dinosaur egg, its much slower and calculated.
You cant be a witness of evolution. The reason why this takes so long is because of the complexity of most living things, and it takes a long time to naturally modify genetic code to best match someone's sorroundings.
This does not apply to Bacteria, which evolve so fast that you could even call it mutation. They have proven to be very tough to fight, and in several cases, that have been able to adapt themselves to antibiotics, reason why doctors often rotate their current prescription and make treatments longer than what symptoms ussally take to go away. Fortunately such measures are in many cases temporary, as bacteria in most cases will eventually lose immunity to antibiotics, could be seen as "not used and expendable code".

Take a look at some of the photo essays of the orphanages in Minsk, Belarus for some real-life radiation victims. Seriously, a f*cking tragedy. However, granted your artistic license where mutations = X-Men or Ninja Turtle powers, than adding even more radiation would seem to grant the locals with even more powers (nine thousand comes to mind) if the force of the initial blast didn't waste them first.

There is a kind of moth that can take control of other insects, but the only thing it does is kill half it's brain.

Don't we already find headcrap sombies popping out of toxic waste before water hazard?
They are unchanged, no?

They were only recently made zombies and this guys scientific knowledge does not deserve to be analyzed

Lets clear this up for a bit.
Mutation is not the same as Evolution. If it is true that both involve changes in genetic codes, circumstances and results are different.
Mutation is a forced and sudden change of genetic code, and is most likely the result of an error in the Early stages of mitosis. It can either be induced of accidental. Induced mutation scenarios are often caused by environmental factors such as radiation, pollution or chronical poisoning. It means genetic code got damaged at some point during cell division, and as such the cells do not function properly. Most common outcome of such things is cancer, however the most likely scenario is failure to effective execute meiosis, resulting on genetic disorders on someone's blood-line. This should be called mutations, and they are not spontaneus. A living thing as complex as a human being cannot have a thrid arm grow out of its chest by mere mutation, it isnt possible. Headcrab zombies do not mutate, in fact i'd say theres something in the headcrab that produces such changes, however it may require replacing the dna of several body cells to make such changes happen, so i'd say the headcrab's dna of zombification substance isnt conventional at all.
I don't think that it's outside the realm of possibilty that the headcrab could inject hormones, without altering any genetic code, into the body to cause it to...what's the right word? Metamorph? But then again, I'm no biologist :p

There is a kind of moth that can take control of other insects, but the only thing it does is kill half it's brain.
Wasp, actually.

Nope its a possibility, but hormones are not the way.
I have been thinking about it and I think it hit me.
The headcrab first injects venom, something that will create a massive cellular damage thoughout the entire body of the victim. The venom should work fast and should stop working just as fast as it started, so to give time to the body to recognize and try to repair the damage. I think some enzymes or something else are injected to the host body, something that could effectively control the outcome of mitosis, given the fact that every now and then there is a cellular division error.
If such chemical substance could isolate some genes and replace entire sections of the DNA, it is possible to have "mutant" cells everywhere at the same time. This process could be done several times, minimizing the number of human cells and maxing out the mutant cells.
Plausible me thinks.

how did this thread go from an r-tard talking about "zomg zombies" to a theoretical mutation discussion methinks

If you wish to induce mutation, an enhanced radiation weapon should be used instead of thermoneuclear bomb. This can ensure that radiative damage is inflicted to the targets, instead of a physically destructive ones. Of course radiation can cause mutation. The effect of mutation in a full-grown complex organism can hardly be positive. Even if the mutation is constructive, the augmented tissue can hardly be organised. i.e. it will be a tumor.

A nuclear explosion can do the least effect on the zombies in Ravenholm. The reason why human turns into a zombie is that a headcrab has coupled with a man's head. This is similar to parasitism, rather than mutation. I don't think mutation can help zombies, especially when the neurones of a headcrab has already deeply implanted to a human nerve system as mentioned in Half Life 1.

Back