"Lost Coast" appears to be a dirty marketing scheme orchestrated b/w ATI and Valve

Reaction score
Since the Lost Coast requires shader model 3.0 for max quality and ATI currently has no cards which support SM 3.0, it probably won't be released until ATI releases their next generation video card (which will have SM 3.0 support).

So, what do you make of that? I bet most people here won't be able to run the Lost Coast, oh no!!!, we got to run and buy a new ATI video card!!!

source ?
And I dont really care about the lost coast so... continue

Get a clue.

1) It's not even meant to be run by everyone, only for the absolute highest end
2) A dirty marketing scheme? Oh noes, fight against the big corporations, young rebel! :D
They have a partnership and they're not going to favor the competition and hurt their partner by releasing early. This is how it works, this is how capitalism works. "But it's not faaaaaaaiiirrr" So?

I read somewhere that you'll be able to play a normal HL2 version of the lost coast as well, just like the chapters are now. With or without HDR i do not know. Perhaps its just wishful thinking?

Obviously it's a marketing scheme. No-one ever said it wasn't.
Valve and ATI have worked together on numerous HL2-related projects.
Why else would they release this for free?

The Lost Coast is a free sample of HDR technology used to advertise ATI, Source and Aftermath.
And if it's fun, hey, bonus.

Not understanding something does not automatically mean there's a conspiracy against you.

Mechagodzilla said:
Not understanding something does not automatically mean there's a conspiracy against you.

Oh boy, if I had 5 cents for every time someone said that.

Go on honorable knight! Lead the way on your chivalrous duties for the fair maiden nvidia against the wicked witch of the west, ATi. Oh noes! Watch out for the burnination!111

ATI and Valve are partners. The Lost Coast exists not so much to provide fun gameplay (it's only about 20 minutes long anyway) as to show off the Source engine. The Lost Coast shows some of the best stuff Source can do, including HDR. Only 5%, and even maybe less, of HL2 owners will be able to play it, but under the circumstances, that is not what matters.

But Gabe did say that the HDR thingy was targeting the highest ever specs for the best quality ever concieved. lol. So basically they are showing off what they can do, maybe the best computer is at Valve HQ so thats the specs theyre basing it on. As they are showing off what they can do they aint gunna wait for new technology to come out before they release it.

HL2 was written primarily for ATI cards, and I think ATI are the best cards (in general) anyway?

Also, although this is probably irrelevant, the new XBox 360 will utilise ATI graphics technology.

If the partnership benefits the game, so be it! ;)

but sm 3.0 doesn't bring anything new visually ... the calculations are just done faster!

dude, i could barely get half life 2 working but it seemed fine after i got it runing. i asked this question befor but will lost coast even work on my comp???

Probably 6600 GT or higher and X800 Pro or higher.

wilka91 said:
but sm 3.0 doesn't bring anything new visually ... the calculations are just done faster!

sm 3.0 looks more realistic

We're still waiting for a source.

sm 3.0 looks more realistic
No it just goes faster, therefor you can create better looking shaders without using up more "Resources".

Oh and just about everything is a Marketing Scheme

Tons of games I play have nvidia logo's on...thats a Marketing Scheme. ATI does the same thing.(Though it seems to me less in my games)

SixThree said:
We're still waiting for a source.

It was my quote from previous thread. It's just a prediction, hence "probably." I don't have any insider info or anything. Anyway, it's not a "dirty marketing strategy." Gabe himself called them the "ATI Levels," so this is nothing suprising really. The idea is to make the levels look the best possible and demo new technology without holding back, not to have good performance on low end machines.

OMG. Next you'll be posting that the new Pope is Catholic.

And of course most people won't be able to run the level. That's the entire point.

Did you forget that there were nVidia cards available with SM3.0 in the begining of Q4 2004?

I couldn't give a shit less if they're releasing the level as a "marketing scheme" for ATI.

you can run hdr in a lower quality mode with shader model 2

Shens said:
Probably 6600 GT or higher and X800 Pro or higher.

I have an X800 Pro and I know for a fact it won't handle "The Lost Coast." No ATI will thats currently on the market. Yeah, there is that lower quality mode, but all it uses is a "bloom" effect, not true HDR. It will require at least a 6800 GT, but preferably an R520 or G70.

beedubaya said:
I have an X800 Pro and I know for a fact it won't handle "The Lost Coast." No ATI will thats currently on the market. Yeah, there is that lower quality mode, but all it uses is a "bloom" effect, not true HDR. It will require at least a 6800 GT, but preferably an R520 or G70.
So I take it you've play-tested The Lost Coast on your computer? Sheesh.. speculation is not "fact".

Remember, they did say that there would be the option to turn HDR and everything off, for those of us with lesser computers. Everyone who can run HL2 will be able to run the Lost Coast, but only those with great specs will be able to run it in all it's glory.

Biscuit said:
Remember, they did say that there would be the option to turn HDR and everything off, for those of us with lesser computers. Everyone who can run HL2 will be able to run the Lost Coast, but only those with great specs will be able to run it in all it's glory.

what are your sources?

To be honest, the lost Coast is simply E3 candy. Its there to sell engines, and pop some hype. The level isn't being made simply to play, but rather to sell. Sell sell sell!

Minerel said:
No it just goes faster, therefor you can create better looking shaders without using up more "Resources".
Yes, uh ... I'm not sure what was wrong with his "it looks better" arguement, when you just said "you can create better looking shaders".
Him saying it looks better is more right than what you were saying - look at the 2.0b spec.

Are you guys even understanding the question? You say he does not know what he is talking about. I for one think it is a kind of scam as the level is advertised as the ATI level but no current ATI card can run it at full settings. This is false advertising. Right now your $600 X850 provides worse image quality then a cheap 6600. I dont think this is some kind of conspiricy but it is a false advertising.

I think the term "ATI Levels" has nothing to do with advertisement. The only place I saw anyone from Valve mention the name "ATI Levels" was in the final hours article on gamespot. The Lost Coast is an ATI Level but such a name was never officialy used. I think :p

I dont care i dont own an Ati card and dont want to either,, i just want my coast level to enjoy.

DrDevin said:
Are you guys even understanding the question? You say he does not know what he is talking about. I for one think it is a kind of scam as the level is advertised as the ATI level but no current ATI card can run it at full settings. This is false advertising. Right now your $600 X850 provides worse image quality then a cheap 6600. I dont think this is some kind of conspiricy but it is a false advertising.
False advertising? Scam? Generally those things involve money. Lost Coast is FREEEEEEEE man.
By the time the next ATi card in unveiled, it will be just in time for the release of the map.

hi_ted said:
False advertising? Scam? Generally those things involve money. Lost Coast is FREEEEEEEE man.
By the time the next ATi card in unveiled, it will be just in time for the release of the map.

Yes I forgot to mention the free part. I am looking forward to this as much as anyone else :) . Not many other developers release free new levels and certainly not as many as valve does for CS:S DM and Hl2. By the way releasing a new ATI card that plays the level as fast as Nvidia cards do at around the same time the lost coast is released is also part of the "scam" ;)

Takashi Shimura said:
So, what do you make of that? I bet most people here won't be able to run the Lost Coast, oh no!!!, we got to run and buy a new ATI video card!!!

All 6800 cards support ps3.0, so your completely wrong. + a lot of games are coming out with ps3.0 support, so buying a card that supports it isnt a bad idea.

I dont really want to play...I'll be happy if somebody makes a video of THEM playing with the highest of high settings so I can enjoy the view :)

cyberpitz said:
I dont really want to play...I'll be happy if somebody makes a video of THEM playing with the highest of high settings so I can enjoy the view :)
Exactly, considering this is comlete eyecandy, the only difference between watching it at full screen and playing it is a $300 saving on your bank balance.

Back