Lost Coast find

fenner

Reaction score
Did anyone else find the subtitles for the Lost Coast while looking around in HL2's GCF? At least I think I did, it mentions the monastery/church and has that fisherman dude talking in it.
could be old stuff though valve have probably re-written it since.

It's called closecaption_english.txt and Its under source engine.gcf\hl2\resource

Not the most exciting stuff - but still, a cool find :D

damn you for making me wanna look! Although I couldn't be bothered to look for it when I actually opened it!

Hooray for apathy :)

All we learn from it is that the monastary is Called 'The church of St Olga' and the combine have set up base there and the have some sort of zombie cannon (headcrab pod launcher possibly?) that Gordon must destroy. Oh, and we wont be doing any swimming cause the waters are infested with leeches.

fenner said:
It's called closecaption_english.txt and Its under source engine.gcf\hl2\resource

How do you access source engine.gcf\hl2\resource? It's a file, not a directory.

In case anyone is wondering, it's at the very bottom.

Interesting stuff. Sounds Scottish :p

Sounds like this Lost Coast level is taking place before HL2 begins. By the time you get there in HL2, all the villagers have been turned into Zombies. This is obviously a key overland and strategic route for the Combine between City 17 and Nova Prospekt, hence why the want to take it. I guess.

Wow! This is quite a major find! Good job :thumbs:

Spoiler! This is the text document!

Attachments

• text file.txt
    8.7 KB · Views: 524
forg0tt3n said:
So there will be bullsquid in the lost coast....yay.
Not necessarily. It just confirms that they attacked the world.

"Looks like they're planning to wipe out the town so they can have the whole place for a base."

Interesting.

Moved to HL2 Singleplayer (Spoilers)

"ati_2004.fish_bullsquidtrap" "Hold up now...we've got to raise this hatch. We used to trap bullsquid in here."

seems old and just the "game" like Ubi did with littlechiquita.com or bungie with halo2 in ilovebees.com. or something else

Maybe a level cut from the game? Whats the 2004 mean? The year maybe? Well I though they started this level only awhile ago, but not in 2004... but all that cliff stuff, and about the fisher guy and with the new map being next to the ocean does make it seem like it would go to that... I dunno... we'll see...

It's definitley from the lost coast, but probably an old version of it hence the 2004 thing.

didn't they start work on the "Ati Levels"(AKA The Lost Coast) in 2004?

Cool thing you've found there. Not the usual humdrum "Did you know that you see G-Man in game at certain spots?"

czrsink said:
Sounds like this Lost Coast level is taking place before HL2 begins. By the time you get there in HL2, all the villagers have been turned into Zombies. This is obviously a key overland and strategic route for the Combine between City 17 and Nova Prospekt, hence why the want to take it. I guess.

No, its set between Highway 17 and Sandtraps, there are numerous headcrab shell facilities across the area of city 17. And considering you play as Freeman, who wasn't on the planet at that time...

Anyone up for Jumping puzzles? cause it looks (sounds?) like there's going to be alot of them...

"These infernal leeches'll clean your bones in a trice, and I don't care what kinda fancy swimsuit you're wearing!"
Yep, thats one crazy spoiler :p

Back