Man I feel guilty

Companion Cube
Reaction score
I didn't go to classes today, my excuse being that I was sick.

But I wasn't really sick. I was more tired than sick.

I've never missed school/class in my whole life, and I know I've been way sicker than I am now, yet I would still go to school.

But today, I didn't go, just because I didn't feel like it. I could make the excuse that I really was sick and tired, but deep down I know that I really wasn't, and I've had worse times than this and still did not skip what I was supposed to do.

I dunno, this might sound odd to you guys, but this is really bothering me.

I didn't go to classes today, my excuse being that I was sick.

But I wasn't really sick. I was more tired than sick.

I've never missed school/class in my whole life, and I know I've been way sicker than I am now, yet I would still go to school.

But today, I didn't go, just because I didn't feel like it. I could make the excuse that I really was sick and tired, but deep down I know that I really wasn't, and I've had worse times than this and still did not skip what I was supposed to do.

I dunno, this might sound odd to you guys, but this is really bothering me.

I don't want to generalize but, I have a lot of asian friends (a few of them who are from Korea) and it seems to me that you guys are taught that work and school are the most important thing in life pretty much. It's normal for you to feel a sense of guilt and shame for skipping school because of being tired or just not really wanting to go. It's because of the way you're raised. Very strict rules from your parents and from your schools.

Having foreign parents I know the feeling of being pressured to do well in school and work but being born and raised here, we are mostly taught that expressing yourself and being happy are the most important things in life.

I guess you just have to re-wire your brain to think that skipping 1 class because of just plain not wanting to go is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. It may bother you for a while but it will eventually subside.

Well, I didn't go to school for half the day either. :p
Also because I was tired, but I had the excuse of flying in from Boston late last night and it took two hours (part of which involved standing in the rain) to get from the airport back home.

Anyhow, I know in undergrad I felt pretty terrible about missing class, but don't worry too much. If you're that tired, probably means you're a little bit burned out. It's ok to "mess up" a little bit, then pick up and keep going.

In high school I never missed a day because I never really had a good reason. In college I missed like half of all of my classes (waste of money) but I never felt that bad about it. I only felt bad when I missed a test and it effed up my grade.

Ah well, I guess one day can't really hurt. And I can brain-masturbate with the idea that I was burned out. :p

I don't want to generalize but, I have a lot of asian friends (a few of them who are from Korea) and it seems to me that you guys are taught that work and school are the most important thing in life pretty much. It's normal for you to feel a sense of guilt and shame for skipping school because of being tired or just not really wanting to go. It's because of the way you're raised. Very strict rules from your parents and from your schools.

Well, I suppose so. It seems to me that ever since middle school, my school was my primary definition of myself, lol.

I'm gonna go play WoW a bit, see how I feel.

Welcome to being a human being.

It's just as disgusting and hedonistic as you've heard.

I used to do that in secondary school when I was feeling particularly tired of it. It's often a good thing to take a day off to recharge. I've also skipped lectures in college for tonnes of reasons from having to go into town to it being 10am and not wanting to get up. I do fine. One day of missed classes won't make you fail everything and your mental health is far more important than a single day of class, and like Kiplings said above me, if you're too tired or stressed out to even concentrate in class, that lesson would be entirely wasted on you and it would have been more productive for your studies to let your brain relax for those few hours.

ITT: We turn numbers into a bad student, leading him down a path of laziness, irresponsibility, and fun times. Awesome.

ITT: We turn numbers into a bad student, leading him down a path of laziness, irresponsibility, and fun times. Awesome.

Awesome indeed. That's 98% of being an American.

so you tell them you where sick and they let you stay?

my mom would have grabed me by the ears and take me to the school herslef,even if I do where sick

also school wouldnt spare me too

I used to "get sick" a lot in high school. Good times.

I still do sometimes, but not nearly as much as I did before.

The fact that you are an asian in south korea makes this thread X10 more funny because of generalisations.

You made my day Numbers.

That sounds like Commie talk to me numbers.

This sounds really healthy for you, numbers. Keep up the good work.

(I'm serious)

You'll never make it in the world skipping classes, Numbers. Education is your number one priority. You have disgraced your country and family. I don't know how you can live with yourself. If it's not too late, I would sprint to class to at least salvage whatever you can.

My other korean friend did this shit once too, ****in 'tired' what a pussy. You're a pussy. I on the other hand had to miss it because I had pink eye. It was actually more shittified than usual so I don't really care about spreading it (like I even could, I don't sneeze or rub other people's shit).

I guess you just have to re-wire your brain to think that skipping 1 class because of just plain not wanting to go is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. It may bother you for a while but it will eventually subside.

This. Because I was unable to make the distinction that work and school were not the most important things, I was in for some emotional trouble later. A day out of class won't hurt too much. Sometimes you know that it isn't exactly appealing to go in for class. As long as you don't go to extremes and start skipping around much, then there's not a whole lot to worry about. I remember once I drove to school and had an anatomy class with a professor whose class consisted in reading off bulleted powerpoints. I happily skipped it by sleeping in my car, knowing that once wouldn't hurt because i had teh smartz and could catch up later.

I used to skip school all the time. Instead of being forced to learn things I don't care about, I learned about things I did. I watched TV and played games, and experimented with electronics, computers, R/C cars, inventing things, catching snakes and lizards. Whatever. You are going to learn whether you are in school or not.

Just catch up on the work you missed and let it go.

I agree that missing a class for your health (physical and mental) is good. However, turning this into a habit is terrible for school. It can put you in such a big hole that you may not be able to save your own ass at the end of the year.

Doesnt sound like you are about to make a habit out of this though. Just think to yourself that it was the right thing to do to help keep yourself in working order.

This is cute. : >
Numbers, remember: You work to live, you don't live to work. **** school from time to time, it keeps you sane.

Those of you who say its ok to skip every now and then to "recharge":

Personally, I feel more stressed out when I miss a class and have to deal with the hassle of contacting the professor or another student to find out what I missed, and then play catch-up, much more so than I would just attending class on a day I feel bummed out.

Well, I'm not sure if I feel too much better, but in the end I think it was for the better. Lol.

I think I'll limit my skipping class to once a semester or year.

Those of you who say its ok to skip every now and then to "recharge":

Personally, I feel more stressed out when I miss a class and have to deal with the hassle of contacting the professor or another student to find out what I missed, and then play catch-up, much more so than I would just attending class on a day I feel bummed out.

This is true too.

I find that as long as it doesn't affect your grades, skipping classes in college is a thumbs up

Back