Man wins right to wear pasta strainer in driver's license photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
You are not allowed to wear headgear in driver's licence photos in Austria except for religion reasons. One man applied for a licence with a pasta strainer on his head in order to prove a point.

After receiving his application the Austrian authorities had required him to obtain a doctor's certificate that he was "psychologically fit" to drive.

According to Mr Reinthaler, "the licence has been ready since October 2009 - it was not collected, that's all there is to it".

The idea came into Mr Alm's noodle three years ago as a way of making a serious, if ironic, point.

A self-confessed atheist, Mr Alm says he belongs to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, a light-hearted, US-based faith whose members call themselves pastafarians.

A medical interview established the self-styled "pastafarian" was mentally fit to drive
The group's website states that "the only dogma allowed in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is the rejection of dogma".

In response to pressure for American schools to teach the theory known as intelligent design, which some Christians favour as an alternative to natural selection, the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote to the Kansas School Board asking for the pastafarian version of intelligent design to be taught to schoolchildren.

Full article.

Do you think this is a stupid waste of time or a good point made against a bad law? I'm applying for a passport right now and it turns out we have the same rule and I think it's retarded. Religion has nothing to do with your passport and having rules relating to religion for it makes about as much sense as rules relating to what football team you support.

Do you think this is a stupid waste of time or a good point made against a bad law?
Both? I mean, it's a good point, but it's also not going to 'do' anything. That really depends on your definition of 'waste of time'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back