Manhunt 2 censored scenes

So its really gory, big deal. The moment you start dicatating what you can and cannot put into a video game you lose any and all credibility when defending them. Should 12 year old kids play this game? Obviously not, and the rating system should be strictly enforced, more so than it is at the moment.

However, this game does seem like its fueling the fire that is Fred Thompson, or should I say minuscule spark.

more like wall of flame threatening to engluf gaming

whacko jacko singlehandedly made Rockstar lose $40 million, the ESRB to be brought before the senate and put the fear into every single developer in north american gaming ..to underestimate him is wrong imho ..and this sort of thing adds fuel to his fire ..there is not a single parent who will see that and think "oh it's not so bad" ..I'm not at all for censorship but Manhunt is a misstep for gaming in general

I'll be honest. I can't fathom what there possibly is to enjoy about the game. It just seems like an exercise in sadism.

But if you like it, whatever. More power to your corrupt, black heart. :|

MORE JUDGEMENT! Ass!

*Edit* what's wrong with a corrupt, black heart?

Man, when he cut that guys spine with the hedge clippers....awesome....

So its really gory, big deal. The moment you start dicatating what you can and cannot put into a video game you lose any and all credibility when defending them. Should 12 year old kids play this game? Obviously not, and the rating system should be strictly enforced, more so than it is at the moment.

I don't know why this is still being brought up. The author of the piece never claimed it should be censored or removed from store shelves. He's not dictating what Rockstar should put in their games. This isn't about censorship. This is about the nature of the game's content. The association between "I think Manhunt 2 is trash" and "I think Manhunt 2 should be banned" needs to end. =P

****, I thought Passion Of The Christ was a bloody, pointless, hollow turd that only exploited Christian sympathy. But I'm not going to petition it for removal at Blockbuster.

Man, when he cut that guys spine with the hedge clippers....awesome....
Hahaha yeah, that reminded me of the wire weapon in the first Manhunt. In the Hardcore execution you could behead someone with that. That was so over the top it was funny.

Same goes for the big baseball bat, by the way. Normally you'd just fracture someone's skull, but in Manhunt, you can splatter walls with it.

People with enough morals and sanity realize this is just warped, twisted, over-the-top gore. Just like the Saw movie trilogy is really. Some like it, some don't...big deal. Don't like it? Don't play it. Don't want it in your child's hands? Well, they don't slap giant stickers on the box with 18 on it for nothing, now do they?

Parents need to open their eyes, and the others should shut their mouths.

****, I thought Passion Of The Christ was a bloody, pointless, hollow turd that only exploited Christian sympathy. But I'm not going to petition it for removal at Blockbuster.

I will :p

Lol, you guys can keep on hating the game all you want.

Uh, no I don't want this game. I have no desire to sit down and play it, even for 5 minutes. I'd rather play parcheezi with a bunch of elderly folk.

How old are you Pitz, just out of curiosity?

I support the right for companies to make and sell games like this. But it's games like this which tarnish the reputation of gamers, gaming in general and get people like Thompson in a tizzy. I hope that resellers will go above and beyond what they normally do to prevent minors from buying this one. If the industry doesn't police itself we'll have the government doing it for us one day and that will be when gaming as we know it ceases to exist.

We're a few wackos away from government intervention to begin with. If one of those wackos is a Manhunt owner just imagine the repulsion of the general public. 99% of the people who play Manhunt aren't wackos, but one bad apple spoils the bunch.

I don't know, the game looks like trash to me. Not worth a rental in my opinion. Pushing the boundaries of public opinion over a game as pathetic looking as this is stupid. At least have a good game push the boundaries.

I just want to see how many ways you can rip a persons head off, while at the same time lighting him on fire and putting it out with his own urine....Is that not what gaming has yet to achieve?

People with enough morals and sanity realize this is just warped, twisted, over-the-top gore. Just like the Saw movie trilogy is really. Some like it, some don't...big deal. Don't like it? Don't play it. Don't want it in your child's hands? Well, they don't slap giant stickers on the box with 18 on it for nothing, now do they?

Parents need to open their eyes, and the others should shut their mouths.

yes however that's not very realitic; how many of our members purchased HL2 despite being underage?

yes however that's not very realitic; how many of our members purchased HL2 despite being underage?

That isnt Rockstars fault, thats the 17 year olds at best buy who dont care who they sell to. Are you suggesting a games content depend on 17 year olds? Do you hate 17 years olds? How long have you hated children?

That isnt Rockstars fault, thats the 17 year olds at best buy who dont care who they sell to. Are you suggesting a games content depend on 17 year olds?

why would you jump to that conclusion? regardless of best buy there probably isnt a single person here who hasnt purchased a game under age ..ok me but there were no ratings back then

Do you hate 17 years olds? How long have you hated children?

since the birth of my two kids, natch

People who feel they need to be disturbed at the fact we might actually ENJOY this game. I don't think I read anything in your posts about it
Im more disturbed that someone could enjoy a very sub par game without getting bored than by someone enjoying a game just because of its violence... i mean i enjoy beating the hell out of random peons in the GTA3 games but when i get bored of that at least i can blow some bikers head of and steal his bike for some 2 wheeled mayhem instead. :sniper:

I don't think GTA3's violence is remotely comparable though.

We all love violence in our games. We can even take it if it's kind of disturbing. But Manhunt 2's is more like a big, soulless slaughterhouse than GTA3's ridiculous antics.

we have been cutting heads, limbs, set people on fire, blow skulls, chopped people in half,and more in many many games...so why this is so shocking?

the vid got boring quickly, it was just beating and beating, why not variate a little more like trowing someone inside the cage of angry baboons or something like that?

to me manhunt2 seems like focused to people that spend time watching those gory videos on the internet,but that video didnt was so shocking,after all the game is about that
so I dont get why the "omg, that was so sadistic,what I have been doing? paying all this evil games, I will redeem myself and join the path of jesus" stuff

Im more disturbed that someone could enjoy a very sub par game without getting bored than by someone enjoying a game just because of its violence... i mean i enjoy beating the hell out of random peons in the GTA3 games but when i get bored of that at least i can blow some bikers head of and steal his bike for some 2 wheeled mayhem instead. :sniper:

I never said I enjoy the game, I just say that I'm not instantly thinking it's the most disgusting thing on the face of this Earth.

And Stern, I haven't purchased a game underage! :D

While I'm against cencorship, this game looks really bland.

watched the video. just looks like the original cranked up a bit

i don't understand how anyone can really be offended by over the top cartoonish violence as displayed in the videos. i didn't cringe at any of it, more off i was more concerned about why this game is getting so much press attention

one thing that confuses me is why its been banned here in the uk. there are much more violent films available to watch here than manhunt2 but i suppose just because its a video game and people in power seem to mostly think that kids play the majority, it gets the ban

bollocks to be honest

This game looks like it was made just to shock people, with "gameplay" tacked on.

The gore and scenes displayed here are nothing surprising if you've seen any modern slasher flick or visited rotten.com, I'm more disturbed by how Call of Duty 4 portrays "modern warfare" than this so called "murder simulator". The fact is the Manhunt games just really never interested me. It would be laughable for a movie with this type of content went for an "R" rating and play at normal theaters - so why all the outrage when it's not sold on normal store shelves?

The fact remains that video games were designed to be interacted with and fun. From Pong, to Half-Life 2 -- but I digress. Games are also supposed to be interactive and challenging -- to let people imagine impossible ways to overcome obstacles that realistically we might not have been able to do on our lonesome, arming us with a myriad of gadgets such as gravity manipulating weapons. Even going so far in some video games to provide our main characters with story altering dialogue that might otherwise cause us a shift in the "force", whether it be lightside or darkside.

But Manhunt is'int a game, as much as I'd like it to be. It isn't challenging or unique in that NPC's offer extreme resistance and game maintains a very involving or creative theme, enough for players to have least established a fan base. No, instead NPC's offer minimal resistance and the games theme seems more to cycle around pathological error and disturbance. And it certainly doesn't pull any fun strings like Portal did with the build up to Cake.

Instead, what it provides for itself is unfortunately, a less then entertaining medium for a murder simulator. It's a gore fetishers wet dream that let's every other psycho-screw ball a fantasy of killing someone without repercussions. The games also less then fascinating as it forces people to kill others in less then unique and brutally disturbing ways; our choice in morality as whether or not to do so seems ill-relevant. Giving us the ole', "Shades of Grey" concerning the actual threat other NPC's present to us and lame thematric of "You or them", and what this game really lacks is a point. Murdering people for entertainment. What seperates this from Grand Theft Auto? Or Call of Duty 4? Or any game for that matter? Well a point for one.

Well for two, there's no voice over a loud speaker encouraging me to kill other people in Call of Duty 4 or Grand Theft Auto, for that matter.

However, another would be Taste. Call of Duty 4 is portraying something vaguely fictious even with its borderline political commentary on us being mislead into the war in Iraq. Besides that, the violence is vague, the characters appear to be better developed, AND THE GAMES ACTUALLY FUN.

So, why is Manhunt a murder simulator as opposed to other video games? The painstaking devide actually happens at this point: Because even when the NPC characters simulate a beg for mercy or are physically defeated enough that a character shouldn't waste anymore time dealing with them, its all painstakingly interwoven to further psychologically persuade players into continuing they're brutality against them, intending to prolong or make worse they're suffering. Some just continue without being persuaded, seeking the most visually traumatizing and disturbing methods of "execution" to find that lacking sort of emotional empowerment they don't otherwise have in real life over they're oppressors. This video game just allows the masocist to further explore and let fester his own psychological underdevelopement. I just don't get this queezy over Half-Life 2.

As a gamer, hands down, this game offends me. Even the Columbine Massacre game didn't offend me because it was meant to be a social quirk-jerkoff session against the media lamblasting highschool students for they're choice of clothing or culture, blaming it more so on the incompetence of the school administration, parents, and the parents of children who egged them on. Whats more, is that it didn't limit its appetite there either.

You can call me paranoid, but I did not approve of this game not so much about its violence, but how the violence is used and who it is directed against. Trying to falsely explain to people that you're getting vengeance on someone else for what they did to you, can roughly translate from Rockstar to 14 year old as: "Kill the people who make fun of you or who otherwise stand in your way." Yeah, I'd say that about does it in the disturb me department.

The people who are supposed to be killing you fight back only about as good as an innocent victim would. C'mon, whats not the give away? Was it the loudspeaker encouraging you to kill? Or was it you to begin with? Simple ethic plays, Rockstar, nothing as classic as De Mona Lisa. You're painting a visceral world where murder is legal and peoples lives matter only about as much as you weigh them to be. Skip the emo, these aren't the rules of our world.

These aren't soldiers let alone thugs that you're engaging in violence -- both of which would be more then physically capable and intellectually aware of they're environment to detect the player in at least half of the scenarios, and feasibly have the upperhand from the get go. This video game has crossed the line as this years next gen murder simulator. Because at the end of the day, that's all it really is.

bollocks to be honest

No, too much bullshit has been veiled under the art categorey as of recent. I just read on page one that someone was going to buy this game simply because murder in real life had ramifications. This is'int attracting a pretty crowd, and comparing it to, "asian snuff films" is'int ruining the argumentative credibility to the whole, "This shit is stupid, disturbing, and unethical even for a video game. Put it to rest rockstar. This is'int art." crowd.

Comparing it also to rotten.com or liveleak is'int a very persuading or rational, "dodge the topic out of the way" miracle, because this game has very little to do with those websites let alone its own non-existent merit of being enterainment. Let's focus on Manhunt, as it is. It's not a video game. It's also not entertainment. It's not puzzling, adventerous, quizzing or enjoyable. So, no, it's not a game. Just an interactive snuff exhibit for the people who already lack an understanding of what violence is and the responsbility it entails, along with receprocity. They feel that by virtually exploring it themselves, that they become empowered over others. Yawn. I'm the Russian. I give it a 1 out of 10 for lacking inspiration.

If it was ever rated "M" for mature, I'd have to disagree. Rated IM, for IMmature; because thats all its attracting for as a crowd and should we have been suprised? No, but then again it's not the game I'm really worried about, its the people playing it.

Someone please kill me. I really don't want to live anymore.
Hmm... do I say it? Nah, that's bad taste even for this thread. :p

Agreed on everything else, though. Isn't that kind of akin to stores giving games away because they can be pirated anyway?

Seriously, just think about that: if you copy the game to a PC, edit the disc image, copy it onto a blank UMD, and then run it as pirated software using a cracked PSP, then you can see the kills uncensored.

The PSP does not work that way, blank UMDs now that's funny. First to even begin dumping a UMD you need to be able to run homebrew on your PSP, many kids are too dumb to do this.

Get Game - Dump UMD - Edit iso - Copy iso onto memory stick (hence you also need a big enough ms) - load game via hax firmware.

This is getting ridiculous.

Target has banned Manhunt 2 because the PSP version can have its kill filters removed if one hacks the game.

Seriously, just think about that: if you copy the game to a PC, edit the disc image, copy it onto a blank UMD, and then run it as pirated software using a cracked PSP, then you can see the kills uncensored.

This is worse than Hot Coffee, which was already included in the game. This is worse than Oblivion's topless re-rating, which revealed deformed, untextured breasts.

This is an illegal user-made modification being used as grounds to ban a video game.

Someone please kill me. I really don't want to live anymore.

but the uncensored scenes are there to begin with? it just needs a hack to be seen? if so this will land rockstar/take two in front of the senate judiciary committee again

Blah blah blah, ad infinitum
I like to play Manhunt. Call me a sadist, but I just can't help but laughing when beheading someone with a machete, or seeing someone get slammed by a toilet lid. It's just the grotesquely over-the-top sadism that draws my attention. Not the brutality. It would've been brutal, if it was real. Then it would've been real snuff. It would've been disturbing. Repulsive. Repugnance in all its glory.

But it isn't real. It's a game. It's fiction. The same reason why people like me enjoy Manhunt is why people like to watch horror movies. To watch boxing, icehockey or nascar racing. You don't go and watch it for the 'competitive element', you go to see it to either see someone crash as violently as possible, to see someone get slammed into the boarding or to see someone get the shit kicked out of.

In fact, I'll go as far as saying that by default, we're all sadists. We're just different in the amount of sadism we can handle. Some wouldn't even cringe to what others feel is the bane of modern society.

This is like saying Ichi The Killer isn't brutal because it's not real. Bullshit. Fictitious content can be very brutal. It doesn't need to be real in order to qualify. Just because something's fake doesn't mean it's automatically over the top. I don't look at this footage and think it's ridiculously excessive. I see some pretty graphic and realistic depictions of violence. At least as realistic as a PSP can make it.

If you showed me a snuff video and I had no idea whether it was real or fake, would either case make the actual content any less vile and sick? Furthermore, the depictions in the game are hardly comparable to some roughing up on the ice or in the ring.

If people like to play this game, then that's good for them. But I can't swallow the argument that this is no worse than what's on film or television or that this is just silly enough to be funny.

This is like saying Ichi The Killer isn't brutal because it's not real. Bullshit. Fictitious content can be very brutal.
Let me rephrase. Brutal was probably the wrong word to use.

I rather meant brutal as in 'emotionally unsettling'. With fiction it's easy, as you know it's all fake and make believe. This changes when you know something is as real as it gets.

Why do you guys think people watch Saw and Hostel movies? Hint: It's not for the story line.

There's different biological reactions to gore. Some it's shock and repulsion (A), others it's just an increase in adrenaline (B). I don't get all freaked out with blood and guts... My reaction is more of a 'Holy Shit That's Crazy!'.

I didn't like Manhunt 1, I didn't finish the first level, but I can understand the appeal of the game. So all you type A's get off your high horse and take a chill pill. Gore is shock value and some people like that.

Some of this is quite disturbing to me, though I must admit when he pulled out the buzz saw thing, my violence tastebuds kind of tickled for a moment.

I'd say these types of games are only bad for the type of people who play them. I'm sure there are plenty of sick people who are going to play this game and thoroughly enjoy killing people in this game in the most gruesome ways. Just like there could be those same kind of people doing the most gruesome things in any other game. Yes, this game has some of the MOST gruesome ways to kill, but that doesn't mean it's going to **** up anyone's mind and turn them into sickos.

Though I definitely agree with the last part of that article, that for a videogame, it goes over the top in a bad way for what makes a good game.

I don't think GTA3's violence is remotely comparable though.

We all love violence in our games. We can even take it if it's kind of disturbing. But Manhunt 2's is more like a big, soulless slaughterhouse than GTA3's ridiculous antics.

Soulless is the perfect word to describe the game... :)

Ha, that was goddamn funny---I don't see how people could say it's realistic; last time I checked you can't decapitate someone with a crowbar.

Back