Manipulator = no ammo?

dont think it will use any sort of ammo, not only is it not considered a weapon but I think it was Gabe Newell who said you needed to use the manipulator to get through some things (or make them easier?...need to find that comment)..I believe it will be something essential in some levels, and you cannot do that much damage just throwin objects or moving them so why make it require energy..

No ammo man...I want to be able to kill Combine soldiers and make forts from their bones.

2 points if you can figure out that reference ;)

Hey everyone. I'm just gonna hop in here and mention this... The manipulator supposedly uses zero-point energy, right? Well, if that's the case (and I know that Valve could change this if they wanted to) then it wouldn't make sense for the gun to have ammo. Zero-point energy is the amount of energy a vaccum contains, which, according to quantum physics, is a huge, huge amount.

Here's an article for ya - http://www.padrak.com/ine/ZPESCIAM.html

Hmm, interesting.

But where did it say the manipulator used zero-point energy?

Did I miss that?

Maui said:
No ammo man...I want to be able to kill Combine soldiers and make forts from their bones.

2 points if you can figure out that reference ;)

the reference:
This VGCats comic?

Scary, eh?

I, too, believe that the manipulator should be without ammo. I mean, it's not as if it's too powerful. It has a weight limit. so if you can only hold X amount of weight that only does X amount of damage when chucked, it has a limit. I think valve will be able to balance this quite well.

Hazar, I coulda sworn I heard it referred to as the "zero-point gun" at some point. I don't know where it was though, so if someone could help out, I'd appreciate it.

yeah i think it was called the zero-point gun too, but i don't remember where i saw that at. So you're not alone, Driftlight.

-edit- w00t! 200th post! where's my medal?

as many of you already said there's no ammo for the manipulator, the physgun has ammo (at least a limit) though for welding, would be pretty weird (but cool) otherwise if you could weld all the objects in the map together..

But unfortunately the physgun won't be in the final version of the game :(

Sparta said:

What? Wont the Manipulator be in the game?!? NOOO!

they'll scrap the physgun? ohman... I didn't know that :/
I was looking forward to the physgun more than the manipulator... welding stuff is sooo much fun... ehm so I've heard........

Well the manipulator is fun to but you can't attach planks and radiators and stuff to your buggy with that... to bad they're taking a way a really funny element in the game

Shuzer said:
Although, in the docks (seafloor, crane, whatever you wanna call it) scene in E32k4, he kept picking up.. what looked like "electricity" reloads (unless I was going insane)
Yes, but i think those were for that sci-fi blaster

Hazar Dakiri said:
Hmm, interesting.

But where did it say the manipulator used zero-point energy?

Did I miss that?

The manipulator does use zero-point energy. In fact valve used to call it the "zero-point energy gravity gun", but changed it to "manipulator" because that's what it was being refered to as in many gamesites and the community.

Sparta said:

Unfortunately yes. :(

Although, doesn't make a difference: the Manipulator is the same thing.

Remember people, the manipulator is a DIFFERENT gun than the physgun.

I agree with the guy who said that having infinite ammo would make it too handy. Having it recharge over time, like the hive hand in HL1 would make more sense. Although the theory of zero point energy would support (almost) infinite energy (and theirfor "ammo") the energy used would generate some heat, so perhaps the Manipulator could overheat, causing it to only be useable for a limited amount of time.

Just my two pence ;)

I think it's already complicated enough that it doesn't need ammo:

1-find chair
2-aim at chair
3-hold secondary fire
4-while holding secondary, aim at combine (take the slight arc into account)
5-press primary fire to shoot
6-repeat

Compare that to the other major guns:

1-aim at combine
2-press primary fire to shoot
3-repeat

Plus, the manip has limited range.

If it uses zero-point energy, it would make sense that it rechanges itself as it extracts energy from the surroundings to change capacitors, I would guess. The beauty of zero-point energy is that it exists everywhere other than a vacuum at absolute zero. Since the atmosphere is far from that, there is plenty of energy to power the tool wherever Gordon takes it. The 'ammo' is in the air, so there won't be a problem finding it ;)

I will have a lot of fun with the manipulator. Like the way be used those saw blades in the e3 2k4 video.

Don't think it'll need ammo. If it does, that would suck big time.

For all of you who keep saying it uses energy or ammo, please read the FIRST PAGE.

No one ever reads the first page anymore :| Merc has played the game, so I think he knows better than all of us.

I don't think it will require ammo, but a limitation of it would make perfect sense. All games need limitations to make it a challenge. The limitation will come in 2 possible forms.

1) The draining of energy if used constantly
2) The weight of objects being too heavy

It wouldn't surprise me if there was a kind of recharge period similar to the Hive hand. It would just stop you from abusing the weapon and over-using it, possibly even to stop you getting bored of it. I think the interesting aspect of the manipulator will be how it opens up the game. Given that it's upgradable, I'm quite positive that there will be sections that the manipulators upgraded powers allow you access to new areas that the older manipulator couldn't. It's an age old gameplay trick but it works.

Yeah it wouldnt be very fun if you had to keep getting ammo for it. It's already complicated enough. Sometime I want to try and beat the whole game only using the manipulator/crowbar.

your ammo is what your going to pick up and shoot so unless you run out of things to "manipulate" then theres no ammo. lol i think the work ur looking for is Power.

Moejoe said:
the reference:
This VGCats comic?

Scary, eh?

I, too, believe that the manipulator should be without ammo. I mean, it's not as if it's too powerful. It has a weight limit. so if you can only hold X amount of weight that only does X amount of damage when chucked, it has a limit. I think valve will be able to balance this quite well.

Hey, you even got the strip. That one was great :D

Two points man!

lans said:
Unfortunately yes. :(

Although, doesn't make a difference: the Manipulator is the same thing.

the manipulator and the physgun is NOT the same thing, sure you can pick up things with them both but the manipulator only throws them away; the physgun is used to weld objects together and that's far more entertaining than just throw things... I hope they'll still leave the physgun so you can access it through the console.

Maui said:
Hey, you even got the strip. That one was great :D

Two points man!

Heh heh, at first i thought it was a penny-arcade comic. it took a little bit of searching, then i realized it was vgcats. anyway, yay 2 points!

* Moejoe adds 2 points to his counter.

i wish ppl would stop calling it the "Manipulator" haha ... zero-point gravity gun sounds much cooler

The battery pickups for the HEV isn't for armor, there's Suit armor and aux power.

AUX Power is used for special abillities, like sprint, and most likely the longjump module(if it exists)
Suit Armor is for the HEV armor

The manipulator doesn't drain aux power, or use ammo. Again the only limit is what it tries to take.

Edit: Drhansson i thought that the physgun was just a gun with a blue stream thingy holding items.

that was very informative Tlaloc. I didn't know that anyone had played it before. I guess you learn something new every day.

If it takes more time to beat HL2 than it takes to beat HL as they say, than I don't think the manipuator having no ammo will make the game 'easier'.

The real question is this: Can you beat the game with JUST the manipulator?

The challanges continue...

I think the manipulator requiring real objects in the environment rather than energy or ammo or whatever is balance enough. And makes for fun fun fun.

100% Sure that it would require no ammo
What weapon is the Manipulator most like? A FIRST weapon.
We all know the rules about first weapons in an FPS......No ammo required

Back