Manipulator = no ammo?

Llyranor

Reaction score
I remember playing Codename Gordon a while back, and a nice feature was that the manipulator didn't require any ammo. Is this representative of the real game?

I also remember checking the higher quality videos recently and looking out for this. Indeed, it didn't look like the manipulator used any ammo. However, I also noticed that one (or more, maybe) of the other weapons also didn't have any (it must have been a machine gun or a shotgun, I forget). Now, I'm not sure whether the ammo thing was simply because it was a demonstration, or whether I was delusional about the latter.

So, was this at any point confirmed? Because, frankly, the manipulator not requiring ammo would make the game way more fun, given that I wouldn't be cheap and not want to waste it.

In the videos, I don't remember seeing any ammo indication in the HUD

The.Spiral said:
In the videos, I don't remember seeing any ammo indication in the HUD

Really? I don't see it..

There's not much point in this thread, as no one knows.. (well almost no one :p)

Although, in the docks (seafloor, crane, whatever you wanna call it) scene in E32k4, he kept picking up.. what looked like "electricity" reloads (unless I was going insane)

Six Three said:
Really? I don't see it..

There's none, that's what I'm saying...

Shuzer said:
Although, in the docks (seafloor, crane, whatever you wanna call it) scene in E32k4, he kept picking up.. what looked like "electricity" reloads (unless I was going insane)

That was for the armor I think...

yeah, i hope i dont have to conserve energy by not using it too much. this seems like the kind of thing valve wouldnt do b/c of the popularity of the manipulator gun/physics among playtesters. or so ive heard. lets ask merc.

That's effed if the manipulator requires any 'ammo'...

The.Spiral said:
That was for the armor I think...

That would make sense..
/me should think stuff through before he posts

Same as what Letters said except more rude: F*cked.
'twould be a silly gameplay decision for sure. It doesn't look like Valve have made that silly decision. Oh no.

It seems apparent that it doesn't require ammo. If it ends up needing ammo, that would greatly take away from the fun factor of the manipulator :(

Merc says it does not need ammo nor do you need to collect any power for it. ;)

We are homefree to play with it all we want!

I hope that if it does, then it is done well. With like a recharge or something. I am going to want to play with it too much to go find ammo for it. But Valve knows what they are doing, Im sure they wont f it up.

edit: ok, disregard my post, thanks SubKamran

Frosty207 said:
It seems apparent that it doesn't require ammo. If it ends up needing ammo, that would greatly take away from the fun factor of the manipulator :(

Exactly...

SubKamran said:
Merc says it does not need ammo nor do you need to collect any power for it. ;)

We are homefree to play with it all we want!
:)

*Lets out sigh of relief*

Actually, yeah, looking back, if it required energy, that would be totally lame. It wouldn't be so awful if it was like the bee gun (okay, I have NO idea what the name of the gun was in HL :eek:) in HL.. that style of energy would be OKAY, but I'm definitely happy it has infinite energy

Shuzer said:

HEV I'm pretty sure

In some parts of some vids you can see ammo but in other parts you can't see any HUD. Just for the sake of the video.

I sure hope it doesn't have ammo. And I'm pretty sure that it won't.

Edit: oops didn't see up 2 ^

Shuzer said:
it has infinite energy

I think somebody knows something..
But I can't figure out who it is :(

I actually think it should require ammo. It's a bit silly to have any weapon at all with infinite ammo, I think it would work really well if you only had limited energy for it, and the amount of energy used should depend on how heavy the object is.

Llyranor said:
I remember playing Codename Gordon a while back, and a nice feature was that the manipulator didn't require any ammo. Is this representative of the real game?

I also remember checking the higher quality videos recently and looking out for this. Indeed, it didn't look like the manipulator used any ammo. However, I also noticed that one (or more, maybe) of the other weapons also didn't have any (it must have been a machine gun or a shotgun, I forget). Now, I'm not sure whether the ammo thing was simply because it was a demonstration, or whether I was delusional about the latter.

So, was this at any point confirmed? Because, frankly, the manipulator not requiring ammo would make the game way more fun, given that I wouldn't be cheap and not want to waste it.

It requires no ammo, there is just a limit to what it can pick up in terms of weight. However, it is upgraded throughout the game and lets you pick up progressivly heavier items, according to Gabe in one of th first emails in the archive.

A recharging ammo supply, such as what they had on the hovercraft thing in one of the videos, could also work for it. Meaning you couldn't just walk around with something as a bullet shield, but could pick it up and throw it at people still.

HeadcrabOnMyAss said:
It requires no ammo, there is just a limit to what it can pick up in terms of weight. However, it is upgraded throughout the game and lets you pick up progressivly heavier items, according to Gabe in one of th first emails in the archive.
Neat. Looks like the manipulator will be to HL2 what the lightsaber was for Jedi Knight, at least for me. Not using another weapon unless the situation required it ;)

Well if it does need ammo, maybe its only for picking up large items, then time to recharge. However, I hope thats not the case, and no need for ammo. :)
Just a thought.

Llyranor said:
Neat. Looks like the manipulator will be to HL2 what the lightsaber was for Jedi Knight, at least for me. Not using another weapon unless the situation required it ;)

I can't wait until someone switches the manipulator for a glowing hand :p

Gordon + The Force = *splat

I hope that it does require ammo, 'cause I feel the manipulator gun is too powerful a weapon to just use whenever you want. Like it should require enegery cells or something and it gradually drains. What would be cool I think is that as the manipulator ammo drains, the weapon becomes gradually weaker.

it would definately suck for the manipulator to have ammo, then you couldn't show your friends cool physics tricks without having to reload your game everytime you do so, and one a different note; do you guys think that the maniuplator alone will spawn a lot of internet fan vids of physics tricks people figure out? i don't see why it wouldn't if the physics are as realistic as valve advertises

Sai said:
it would definately suck for the manipulator to have ammo, then you couldn't show your friends cool physics tricks without having to reload your game everytime you do so, and one a different note; do you guys think that the maniuplator alone will spawn a lot of internet fan vids of physics tricks people figure out? i don't see why it wouldn't if the physics are as realistic as valve advertises

err..there's always the console...

Physics get boring after a while, I don't expect to see many vids..

i wouldnt be suprised if kleiner or someone explained with scientific mumbo-jumbo about how it doesnt need to be reacharged. even if its not actually possible, i bet they could give it a cool explanation.

Actually, I think it has a recharge rate. Not necessarily a set of ammo which you can expend, but to keep the player from waltzing around with a barrel or a DUNE BUGGY the Manipulator will lose charge with the heavier the object. Hence why you could lift the smaller rolly-polly bug droid things for a while, yet in the video he just barely hit the dune buggy a few times.

Actually, I feel that it is actually logical for it to contain no power or ammo. The manipulator seems to gather its energy from electrons or something similar in the air. It distorts the gravity around the object your targeting so you can lift it.

Just the way I've always seen it.

I thought that he didnt pick the buggy up, it was more of like a burst of something since the buggy was too heavy. But i dunno.

slicktick said:
I thought that he didnt pick the buggy up, it was more of like a burst of something since the buggy was too heavy. But i dunno.

That's not what he meant, and yes the manipulator appears to have an alt fire which is a burst of force.

to me the manipulator looks like more of a tool, rather then a weapon. the same way the crowbar is a tool. BUT it can be used as a weapon... hence why whould it need ammo?

guise said:
hence why whould it need ammo?

well, the glowing and the opening and levitating and throwing objects would denote that it is powered by something...power = ammo.

I think the alt fire is to shoot things. For example, if you picked up a paint can you would have to hold primary fire to keep holding it. To shoot it you would just tap alt-fire. If you simply let go of primary fire then it would drop to the ground like he did with that machine gun in the e3 2k4 vid. You can also just discharge it by pressing alt fire like he did with the buggy several times.

I think I read on Gamespy that left-click is shoot things, and right-click is pull things...let me see if I can find it.

EDIT: Not the quote I was thinking of, but here is one from IGN:
With the alternate fire I was able to pluck the mines off of my jeep and, using the regular fire mode, I launched them into the ocean never to bother me again.
Make what you can of it.

the manipulator is the new crowbar therefore no ammo needed (just a gut feeling, not a shrap of evidence).

Wrong lazicsavo, there is a crowbar in HL2. I think it should use ammo, but we'll have to wait and see I spose.

Back