Map Version is 0, expecting 19!!!

yeah, I only have the soundcache folder too...

For those with the memory error, just a shot in the dark here but have you tried turing off DEP "Data Execution Prevention" (assuming your running WinXP service Pack 2).

what's the task called?

I couldn't find a dep service.

no no, the whole thing has been cleared up, apparently some/all steam versions are missing the map files.. and that obviously makes hl2 crash.

nothing related to anything else

Right click "My Computer", click Properties. Click "Advanced' Tab then Under the "Performance" section click "Settings"

Hey, try adding -dev to your launch options. It at the very least, got me farther into the load, albiet still crapping out with another error. Erik Johnson is currently troubleshooting it with me!

Apos said:
Hey, try adding -dev to your launch options. It at the very least, got me farther into the load, albiet still crapping out with another error. Erik Johnson is currently troubleshooting it with me!
PLEASE post the troubleshoot when it's over.
at the worst, could you create an IRC chatroom where we could join ?

Hows this...
I went to load the first C17 map and I got this error in the console...

Host_Error: CMapLoadHelper::Init, map models/props_c17/light_cagelight02_off.mdl has wrong identifier

Seems to me, the steam install is MISSING a lot of files.
I mean did VALVe even test Steam installs?!

basically, just trying different launch option things at the moment. We don't necessarily all have the same problem.

yeah, when I add -dev, it'll go a lot farther the first time, then crash back to the hl2 menu.

If I try it again, it'll do what it did before I added that.

Apos, get him to tell you how to make it work!

I believe that the problem lies not with the files, but somehing to do with memory allocation. This might be bad in the sense that it could point to bad hardware, instead of bad software. :(

but all of us?

That doesn't make sense, and other games don't do this.

Lame excuses for software vendors "It's your hardware"

And amazingly, the next patch they release... It fixes your problem
IE, UT2003

I think the people complaining about an empty maps folder are on the wrong track. Yes, MOST of the folders are empty: that's because the content isn't actually stored in those folders. The folders are used for more temporary additional content.

I cut the source engine files out, re-downloaded them, now I dont get memory errors... it just crashes to desktop....

im going to try with other files

ive deleted half-life 2 content, redownloading now.

ill let you know what happens when done

I also have added the -heapsize command with different values to no avail.

If we all have bad memory, yeah. Basicaly, a lot of memory problems affect small sectors of the memory. Most of the time, these sectors don't get used. But then something like HL2 comes along that tries to use most of the memory, and bam, the error is exposed.

But you're right, I'm not sure that's really the case here. We'll see.

Guys, sorry if it adds to the pain but i've been in the game and played no probs. Specs are as follows: (in case it helps)
Althlon 64 3200
1.5 Gb DDR2700 (Crappy standard nothing special Ram, 3 x 0.5 Gb sticks)
XP SP2
BFG 6800 GT OC
SB Audigy 2 ZS

Steam pre-loaded over the last few months

Nothing is overclocked (except the 6800 but that's OC'd out the box and ntot by me). The game did take several minutes to load in the first place but seems to be fine. HL:S is loading in the background and this didn't show at first so your problems could be related to that?

That is from a guy in the HL2Fallout forums... He has the same specs as someone else who is having this problem here.

Not a hardware issue.

My console reads:
execing chapter1.cfg
Spawn Server d1_trainstation_01
Begin loading faces (loads materials)
End loading faces (loads materials)

Host_Error: CMapLoadHelper::Init, map models/props_pipes/GutterLarge_512_001a.mdl has wrong identifier

after the unsuccessfull map loading.

If its a memory corruption error like minor static damage to key sectors, specs wouldn't matter.

Apos said:
If we all have bad memory, yeah. Basicaly, a lot of memory problems affect small sectors of the memory. Most of the time, these sectors don't get used. But then something like HL2 comes along that tries to use most of the memory, and bam, the error is exposed.

But you're right, I'm not sure that's really the case here. We'll see.

are you still calling ? how does the situation look like ? is it a grave showstopper or more a slight incompatibility problem ?

Have no idea. EJ is probably looking over my memorydump (found in the HL2 folder whenever there is a crash error). The next step that one support guy suggested was sending over my half life 2 content gcf so that they could try to reproduce the error.

Apos said:
I believe that the problem lies not with the files, but somehing to do with memory allocation. This might be bad in the sense that it could point to bad hardware, instead of bad software. :(

bad hardware that will only become apparant when ONE game out of 15 installed on my computer will not run?

i dont think so.

Arse. 89 minutes left. Hope I don't get the problems you lot are getting. If I do I'll come back in here and post my errors.

I was able to load a custom map up (one I made for cs:s), and it actually worked, although there were hardly any textures and funky lines all over the place.

Hazar said:
I was able to load a custom map up (one I made for cs:s), and it actually worked, although there were hardly any textures and funky lines all over the place.

i think that would be because HL2 cannot find the CS textures (for obvious reasons). anyway, i tried that too but it also crashed (albeit a very small and simple map)

i tried also loading a "factory" map in the console (d1_town_01) and it still crashed :/

yeah, any of the valve maps will crash for me, but this one actually started, even though I wasn't able to move.

This really sucks, I'm sorry to hear that you guys can'tp lay at the moment. Hope you get it sorted soon. :(

Shad0hawK said:
bad hardware that will only become apparant when ONE game out of 15 installed on my computer will not run?

i dont think so.

If the game is so memory intensive that it exposes a sector of memory that normally isn't used, sure.

But again, I think you're right: this is probably a bug, not a feature. but do know that Valve is apparently working their butts off to fix it ASAP.

Apos said:
If the game is so memory intensive that it exposes a sector of memory that normally isn't used, sure.

But again, I think you're right: this is probably a bug, not a feature. but do know that Valve is apparently working their butts off to fix it ASAP.
I would hope so
But something tells me they wouldn't have their coding staff in the office at midnight for a "just incase if"
More then likely they are going to wait for the start of the business hours.

Back