Martial Arts

If fist fights are something you'll be encountering often, Muay Thai is definitely the way to go. They won't be playing by any rules and neither should you. You're gonna need to strike, because just throwing them won't cut it, and pulling off a jointlock is too risky if they have any friends around (which they most likely will).

Muay Thai is simple and effective, and allows you to quickly deal with one person and move on to the next if need be.

EDIT- a google search reveals that there are no muay thai schools near your area. :(

I'm most excited to learn throws, actually.

Practice Judo. It's pretty much mostly throws/grappling the opponent in the "gentle way", and involves no kicking or punching or the like. Nothing more badass than kicking some guys ass without even throwing a punch or kick! Well okay maybe there is, but it's still pretty cool.

Don't take Taekwandoe. I've been doing it for years and only recently realised how completely useless it is. *rubs shoulder*

I'm going to try Muai Tai or Capeoerra soon.

If I could, I'd do Drunken Boxing.

Rofl, you drop TKD for Capeorra?

You might as well take up Morris Dancing. :thumbs:

I wish I could learn Jujitsu. That would be so badass.

Oh yeah, really nothing important to say to the OP though. :(

Like lots of people have said, Maui Thai would be a very good style to learn - It's a very serious Martial Art. Judo would be a great choice thanks to the grappling. Hell, put those together and you're going to toughen up very quickly ;) (Thought your shins will be ****ed from the MT)

So, in a fist fight - I lose? tbh, most fights in my school/town are fist-fights, not grab+roll fights.

They aren't fights, they're scraps. You could easily make one into a 'grab and roll' fight. Infact, that's what Jujitsu teaches - how to take a stand-up fight into Judo territory. The problem being that, at an amateur level (going to a club once or twice a week) Jujitsu is FAR worse at teaching throws/chokes/holds/locks (the important stuff) simply because you take part in far fewer fights.

The best way to learn is in practise, which is the single aspect that sets Judo aside from the rest. You will fight 1000's and 1000's of times over the years if you stick at it. You will train against a real person who is fighting back, not by punching the air and learning kata. You will have the option to enter competitions/tournanemts and take things to a whole higher level.

Is it easy? Does it come naturally? Like if your interested in computers you know most numbers for GFX cards, and know what RAM is and all that, is it the same thing?

Yeh, it's easy. You will be picking words up gradually over time, perhaps learning one or two a week. For gradings you will be expected to know a certain amount to pass.

How'd you do using Judo?

Fine. You'd be suprised how easy it is to throw someone who doesn't know Judo. One fight I lost because he had 2 friends join in. It was in a club, they beat the crap out of me and stole my jacket. I still managed to throw one to the floor and smash him in the face. The other was really quick - I ducked under a punch, grabbed his arm and threw him onto a wooden floor. That was it, fight over. I got into trouble over that one as it broke his ankle.

You need to get it out of you head that fights are anything like boxing, Muay Tai, Karate, what you see in most movies or what you see in the school yard, with two guys standing up and throwing punches/kicks. This only happens when they both choose to, and never if either person is really serious.

UFC gives you a much better idea of what a real fight is like - nearly always going into groundwork - and even that's contrived in that their hands are bound (making it far harder to grapple/choke/throw/lock) and that people are wearing shorts. I'd like to see a top UFC fighter against a top competition Judo player, outside of the ring in the street and with both of them wearing everyday clothes. I think people would be very suprised by the outcome.

tbh, I think I'm a pretty relaxed person, even when I know something like a fight is going to happen - even if I know I'd lose :)

You're more chilled than me then :)

Like I said, how about fist fights?

I'm assuming you can still punch without martial arts. Put it this way - nothing that I learnt in karate helped me in the fights I got into, and the only thing that helped me from Jujitsu was what I was already knew to a much better standard from Judo.

So fist fights is for Jiu-Jistu, grab+roll fights is Judo? I still don't understand, how would you do in a fist fight using Judo? How practical is using Judo in a real fight?

No, Jujitsu isn't for fist fights. Jujitsu teaches you to take a fight into 'grab+roll' (Judo) as quickly as possible. The majority of Jujitsu is Judo - lots of people don't realise this. If you want to become good at stand-up fist fights then boxing is by far the best sport you could take up.

At an amateur level Judo is more practical in a real fight, imo, than Jujitsu, karate, Kung Fu and Aikido, for the reasons mentioned in the above posts.

Well, I'd hope I'm fighting people with their clothes on ;)

:) I hope you don't get into fights at all. You don't want to get into a fight and throw someone onto concrete - which, after sparing for years against people practised in Judo, isn't too hard - and crack open their skull.

I'm most excited to learn throws, actually.

Throws are awesome:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFM-xRKbSec[/YOUTUBE]

Some in competition:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuWeiFz7_kM&mode=related&search=[/YOUTUBE]

but groundwork is the real deal (watch for the tap - that's when the lock/strangle is on):

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u41omoNO4U&mode=related&search=[/YOUTUBE]

If you really want to be prepared for actual fights, take up Judo. After a while, when you know what you're doing, add Jujitsu. That will help you in the transition from stand-up fighting into throws/groundwork - which you will already know.

Well, if it's life-threatening..

Umm, no. Unless your goal is to continue getting in fights, you need to enter ass kicking mode the second someone attacks you. And any situation is life threatening. You never know when the guy who just took a swing at you is going to pull out a knife and disembowel you with it. Better to assume the swing was an attempt at your life and retaliate appropriately than to get gored.

Another advantage of fighting dirty is that no one is going to want to fight you. Who are you more likely to attack: the guy that fought "honorably" in a fist fight or the guy that went apeshit and gouged a guy's eyes out?

@Warbie - In that first vid - Is that the kind of shit you can do to someone else who is in ass-kicking mode, while being.. like.. 'calm' I guess the word is? If so, I'm f*cking sold.

@MiccyNarc - tbh, if I knew Judo, and my options were: Beat the shit out of 10 guys one after the other, or go apeshit and gouge someones eyes out, and have the other 9 run away in fear, I'd pick the first option.

Also, I literally lol'd when I read the last sentence, idk why. "or the guy that went apeshit and gouged a guy's eyes out?" made me laugh :LOL: I mean, I'd never fight THAT dirty.. the worst I'd do is throw sand in someones face or something along those lines, but that was funny :D.

The 2nd and 3rd vids give a better idea of what you could do in a real fight. The 1st shows an ideal, practise situation - which you'll be doing lots and lots and lots of if you take up Judo. Throws are rarely that clean in a real fight - it's harder when someone is moving about and fighting back.

Holy shit, 3rd vid when it says 4:45.. That's awesome, is that a counter or something? The more Judo I see the more I want. Shit.

Why don't they show Olympic Judo on TV? They show Figure Skating and Rowing, but no Judo? AGH!

EDIT: Can you give me some links to more vids like this? (I have dial-up, and don't want to spend 20 minutes downloading 2 minute video, only to learn that it's garbage)

We had a talent contest today. 4 bands, 3 singers, 1 guy who told bad jokes, and one Northern Shaolin Practitioner with a Sword.

Jebus, he kicked so much ass.

Pity it was just a kata, though.

oogie boogie */resurrect*

I was doing some research (still), and found a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu school near me. What's the verdict over Judo/BJJ? *glares a Warbie*

There is lots of different classes (and instructors, one of whom is Black-Belt Judo), and there is one 1 hour class for MMA (UFC type fighting with strikes, it even says on the their site that you might get banged up), and there is different classes (lots) just for submission fighting (no strikes), and Saturday is open-mat (do whatever, I guess). So if this is better then Judo, then what should I do first? Obviously I shouldn't start with the MMA fights, so don't tell me about that, yet.

EDIT: Here is the site, I link to the schedule page.

Time to go and see for yourself.

I prefer Judo because it's more of a developed sport and, imo, more fun, but a decent jujitsu school that focuses on groundwork will likely be better for self defense. There isn't really a 'better', just what you enjoy the most. I ended up droppping jujitsu after a few years simply because the elements I enjoyed the most were those that judo teaches - you might like it for differet reasons.

My cousin is in the UFC.

Here's a video of him beating the shit out of someone else (yay!)
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2bk2MEjfpY[/YOUTUBE]
(he's the "white collar brawler")

Back