Math sucks :(

Foxtrot

Reaction score
I hate my math class, it is so boring I think I blacked out 5 times. I am not sure what to call it, but when it would happen I would feel really really tired, my vision would go blurry and then black and I would come back out but I think a few seconds atleast had passed because I was still writing on my paper, one time the words fat guy appeared on my paper and my pencil made a line across my sheet at the end of the word....it was weird. I did it a bunch of times and I couldn't stop...so I went to sleep but I couldn't sleep because the room was so hot and I kept sory of jumping when I slept...this has never happened to me before and has only happened in math class, 3 different days. I really want to pass math but I just can't stay awake/pay attnetion...anyone have any ideas?

:|

No, but try actually doing something half difficult. Maths at your age is piss easy. so ner.

Smoke pot before you goto class. You wont understand wtf you're teacher is talking about, but you'll be far more entertained by their jokes. You'll actually pay attention, and then when the pot wears off and you regain your problem solving abilities, you'll be able to figure out what was happening. Aw, the miracle of marijuana.

Put a drawing pin on your chair before you sit on it - that should keep you awake.

Math kicks ass.
My English teacher (who goes into a German accent whenever she says something with the letter 'r') says English is the most important subject. She's a nice teacher so I won't shout out, " Bull-shit!". Anyways, she says that English is the most important subject alongside with Math. I say Math is better. She says, what language is it that you use when you teach Spanish or whatever. Math is a way more Universal language than English. If we do find Aliens, changes are, we they don't speak English, but we can all agree that 1+1=2.

lol, good idea, you could have a witch hunt and find the person who is casting black out spells on you it would be like a maths equation
X+4=Y*2 = How many witches in the class?
If your looking for a serious answer go to bed earlier, perhaps you are tired.

westie said:
If your looking for a serious answer go to bed earlier, perhaps you are tired.

My answer about marijuana was 100% serious.. it by far the best way to pay attention in a class you find dull and uninteresting. I cant really think of any other ways to go about it. Sleep wont make a class more interesting.

imo its fun as long you do the work, when you dont everything gets confusing really fast :(

Tredoslop said:
Can anyone say A.D.D?
I don't think so, as it is only in that class. I can sit through long boring lectures about some book I read and I hated, but I can't listen to anything the math teacher says...I can do the work just fine but I usually dont find out what it is because it is written anywhere. I have also tried stabbing myself with my pencil in the arm, didn't work at all and it broke.

You need to kill them. ALL OF THEM!

Nah, seriously; Math is suckeh. And I'm bad it too :p

That sort of thing happens in these classes I have at my Uni. Funny thing is, it only happens with this one teacher. Either he's really boring (and I don't think he is), or it's something to do with his voice...

Foxtrot said:
I hate my math class, it is so boring I think I blacked out 5 times. I am not sure what to call it, but when it would happen I would feel really really tired, my vision would go blurry and then black and I would come back out but I think a few seconds atleast had passed because I was still writing on my paper, one time the words fat guy appeared on my paper and my pencil made a line across my sheet at the end of the word....it was weird. I did it a bunch of times and I couldn't stop...so I went to sleep but I couldn't sleep because the room was so hot and I kept sory of jumping when I slept...this has never happened to me before and has only happened in math class, 3 different days. I really want to pass math but I just can't stay awake/pay attnetion...anyone have any ideas?

What grade are you in?

I'm not too bad at math but I too find it immensely dull.

ComradeBadger said:
:|

No, but try actually doing something half difficult. Maths at your age is piss easy. so ner.

Sounds like another person other than my self has turned bitter due to AS level maths... ;(

Write a program that will solve any math equation instantly.

Then I'll be impressed.

marksmanHL2 :) said:
Sounds like another person other than my self has turned bitter due to AS level maths... ;(
I'm doing A2 now... and it's piss.. logs, exponentials.. it's all making sense, finally :D

ComradeBadger said:
I'm doing A2 now... and it's piss.. logs, exponentials.. it's all making sense, finally :D

I too am doing A2 maths now. Its a ****ing wonder they have let me on the course at all mind... :x

I agree though... for some reason. It does all make sence now!!!

Annoying that it just had to be AFTER the exams tho! :O

I have a test not this but the next monday... If I dont get a C they are kicking me off the course...

So tomorrow its gona be work work work.....work.

kiwii said:
yeah math suxx, dropp out of school dude

Sure if you wanna work for me to be house cleaner contact on my ******* there.

Best bet stay in school either wise the world treats you like trash when you get older.

Foxtrot said:
I am a senior in high school.

I find that just looking at a chicks rack for the 1-2 hours your in there keeps you awake, atleast for me.

Dalamari said:
I find that just looking at a chicks rack for the 1-2 hours your in there keeps you awake, atleast for me.
All the girls in my class are annoying as ****...and there really isn't much to look at...

marksmanHL2 :) said:
I too am doing A2 maths now. Its a ****ing wonder they have let me on the course at all mind... :x

I agree though... for some reason. It does all make sence now!!!

Annoying that it just had to be AFTER the exams tho! :O

I have a test not this but the next monday... If I dont get a C they are kicking me off the course...

So tomorrow its gona be work work work.....work.
Yep :)

Well in my case they blamed my mates for the bad result, and think I'll do well this time :)

im in ap calc..what are you in? if i can manage not to black out during 90 minute of that..well then you have no excuse. (unless of course your in a higher math than me)

My Geometry CP teacher is an ass licker. On Friday he asked for our homework from "yesterday." So I asked the kid in front of me "Yesterday's homework was Page 38 right? He just wants page 38?" The kid said "Yeah." So I stapled the two pieces of paper that I had together and put my name on it. I turned it in and towards the end of class, he told me "You have gotten a 50% on your last two homework assignments. If you aren't going to do your homework, you won't do well in this class." So I thought to myself 'What the crap?' and proceeded with doing my work. I was pissed off because I do all of my homework all of the time. Maybe sometimes I'll skip a problem if I just can't get it.

So after class I went and grabbed my homework off of the desk and saw that it had 2/4 points. I'm like "What the hell?" and I asked why I got this score. I said "Look, I only missed two problems." He said that I was missing another assingment, which turned out to be last night's homework too. So, he wasn't clear on if it was yesterday's only or if it was yesterday's and last night's.

So I told him "Oh, well I have that too. I have all of my homework, will you please count that in my score?" The bastard said "Well you had to turn that in earlier in class. I won't accept it now. Come on, get out of my class, it's break time." So that little sack of dog crap thought that his little coffee break was more important than me doing well in his class. I flipped him off behind his back. Now, remember, it's his job to make his students learn and be something in life. It looks bad when his students don't do well...it says things about him -- bad things. I guess that after 32 years of being a math teacher at a high school, he still hasn't learned that teachers can have a huge, lasting impact on their students. I guess that's why he's such a bitter old hag.

So anyway, I did at least 2 hours worth of math homework for no reason. On the bright side, I don't care what he thinks about me. I know that I'm smart. I do well in every class, but somehow I always manage to get a bitter jackass for a math teacher. It's like a rule or something. All math teachers have to be bitter, whiney, and completely careless of your feelings. I swear, math teachers are always the worst teachers. In English or Spanish, the teachers connect with their students. In math, their philosophy is: "Screw them, when do I get paid?"

Oh yeah, and I hate that kid in front of me too. That guy told me a lie. I hope he fails his next test. :frown:

I feel like Maddox, only with less funny comments.

Moto-x_Pat said:
My Geometry CP teacher is an ass licker. On Friday he asked for our homework from "yesterday." So I asked the kid in front of me "Yesterday's homework was Page 38 right? He just wants page 38?" The kid said "Yeah." So I stapled the two pieces of paper that I had together and put my name on it. I turned it in and towards the end of class, he told me "You have gotten a 50% on your last two homework assignments. If you aren't going to do your homework, you won't do well in this class." So I thought to myself 'What the crap?' and proceeded with doing my work. I was pissed off because I do all of my homework all of the time. Maybe sometimes I'll skip a problem if I just can't get it.

So after class I went and grabbed my homework off of the desk and saw that it had 2/4 points. I'm like "What the hell?" and I asked why I got this score. I said "Look, I only missed two problems." He said that I was missing another assingment, which turned out to be last night's homework too. So, he wasn't clear on if it was yesterday's only or if it was yesterday's and last night's.

So I told him "Oh, well I have that too. I have all of my homework, will you please count that in my score?" The bastard said "Well you had to turn that in earlier in class. I won't accept it now. Come on, get out of my class, it's break time." So that little sack of dog crap thought that his little coffee break was more important than me doing well in his class. Now, remember, it's his job to make his students learn and be something in life. It looks bad when his students don't do well...it says things about him -- bad things. I guess that after 32 years of being a math teacher at a high school, he still hasn't learned that teachers can have a huge, lasting impact on their students. I guess that's why he's such a bitter old hag.

So anyway, I did at least 2 hours worth of math homework for no reason. On the bright side, I don't care what he thinks about me. I know that I'm smart. I do well in every class, but somehow I always manage to get a bitter jackass for a math teacher. It's like a rule or something. All math teachers have to be bitter, whiney, and completely careless of your feelings. I swear, math teachers are always the worst teachers. In English or Spanish, the teachers connect with their students. In math, their philosophy is: "Screw them, when do I get paid?"

Oh yeah, and I hate that kid in front of me too. That guy told me a lie. I hope he fails his next test. :frown:

Dude, you can get that dude fired, just go to administation and tell them how the teacher delt with you, if he doesn't get fired he will wish he was.

Death.Trap said:
im in ap calc..what are you in? if i can manage not to black out during 90 minute of that..well then you have no excuse. (unless of course your in a higher math than me)
I am not blacking out because it is too hard, I am just blacking out because it is so boring. The class is really easy, I BS all my homework(right in random numbers for my answers) and then get %100 on all the tests.

Moto-x_Pat said:

So I told him "Oh, well I have that too. I have all of my homework, will you please count that in my score?" The bastard said "Well you had to turn that in earlier in class. I won't accept it now. Come on, get out of my class, it's break time." So that little sack of dog crap thought that his little coffee break was more important than me doing well in his class. I flipped him off behind his back. Now, remember, it's his job to make his students learn and be something in life. It looks bad when his students don't do well...it says things about him -- bad things. I guess that after 32 years of being a math teacher at a high school, he still hasn't learned that teachers can have a huge, lasting impact on their students. I guess that's why he's such a bitter old hag.

That sucks mate. It really does. I have zero respect for teachers who care more about themselves than their students.

(Btw, I know most teachers arnt like this... both my parents were teachers... lol.)

Moto-x_Pat said:

Yea, that happened to me three times in a row with my English teacher... Pissed me off.

Speaking of retarded teachers...

We had an assignment in English last year... We read a short story... And we had to find an example of imagery for each of the five senses. ("Joey could hear a slight rumble in the distance" would be a hearing imagery)

So, as I went, I could not find one for taste. I looked again. And again. And again.

Turns out, "He ate his sandwich hungrily" was it!
Now, all I have to say is "WTF is wrong with you"

That sentence has nothing to do with taste. Oh because it involves food! OHHH!! Now I get it! It's food! And you can TASTE food! Hahah!

No.

I was going to argue with him.. But I am too shy... But believe me I would have exploded. ARGH!

Math doesn't suck once you find something to apply it too. The way math is taught (or at least the way it was taught in the many classes I have taken) is really quite horrible. Mathematics are a means to reach an end. We should be taught how to use them like one would use any other set of tools. Instead we are given abstract equations to solve, and no motivation whatsoever to solve them (as in, we do math problems for the sake of doing math problems). Many teachers do not seem to grasp this concept. Every other subject can be applied somewhere, at sometime. English, History, Science, all these courses could prove themselves useful, but Math isn't like that, it doesn't stand on it's own.

The "real world" problems on the New York state Regents exams (which is what all high-school kids are prepped for during their first three years) are piss-poor. Seriously, I read one that went something along the lines of "Billy and Jenny are playing a game with imaginary numbers...", alright, let's stop right there. Slapping some names to the front of a math problem does not make it any more "real world" than the traditional, arbitrary equation. Math is one of those things that needs to be applied for real, by the students, or else no one is ever going to grasp it (save those people who love solving puzzles for the sake of solving puzzles). For myself, the was programming; specifically writing 3D engines, physics app's, etc.

I did terrible in Math until I found a way to apply what I was learning to something I was interested in. After delving into the world of programming math class was simple, and eventually, became something I grew to love. Now I see how mathematics can be used to explain anything in our world. There is, in all honesty, an elemental sort of beauty to math. It's a shame so many will never see it.

qckbeam said:
Math doesn't suck once you find something to apply it too. The way math is taught (or at least the way it was taught in the many classes I have taken) is really quite horrible. Mathematics are a means to reach an end. We should be taught how to use them like one would use any other set of tools. Instead we are given abstract equations to solve, and no motivation whatsoever to solve them (as in, we do math problems for the sake of doing math problems). Many teachers do not seem to grasp this concept. Every other subject can be applied somewhere, at sometime. English, History, Science, all these courses could prove themselves useful, but Math isn't like that, it doesn't stand on it's own.

The "real world" problems on the New York state Regents exams (which is what all high-school kids are prepped for during their first three years) are piss-poor. Seriously, I read one that went something along the lines of "Billy and Jenny are playing a game with imaginary numbers...", alright, let's stop right there. Slapping some names to the front of a math problem does not make it any more "real world" than the traditional, arbitrary equation. Math is one of those things that needs to be applied for real, by the students, or else no one is ever going to grasp it (save those people who love solving puzzles for the sake of solving puzzles). For myself, the was programming; specifically writing 3D engines, physics app's, etc.

I did terrible in Math until I found a way to apply what I was learning to something I was interested in. After delving into the world of programming math class was simple, and eventually, became something I grew to love. Now I see how mathematics can be used to explain anything in our world. There is, in all honesty, an elemental sort of beauty to math. It's a shame so many will never see it.
indeed, but think of how many kids are going to actually understand programming or anything? it would be like when they do the carpentry word problems, I peronally don't care, but the woodshop kids in class would be like "cool!"
the way public school is structured right now, this wouldn't work since you would have to cater to every individuals needs. If they did the 'academy' system, where a bunch of students all take which career path they want to go to and take classes oriented with that starting with maybe middle school or high school(and keep around general for those who haven't a clue), then this would be easier :)

I like abstract Mathematics..

d/dx ( ylnx - 3e^xy + 3/2x^5 )

dy/dx = y/x -3e^xy + 15/2x^4

Piss easy.

ComradeBadger said:

d/dx ( ylnx - 3e^xy + 3/2x^5 )

dy/dx = y/x -3e^xy + 15/2x^4

Piss easy.
but what did you gain from that?

ComradeBadger said: