Math sucks :(

Foxtrot said:
Good for you.
ooooo Badgy got owned.

--Edit: Or maybe he didn't...--

/me puts on ban-protective suit.

I like math... Especially Geometry... I like the fact how everything is very definate, and it all makes sense.. There is always a single answer.

i know what you mean...god it feels good to be finished with school when you said that ;)

ComradeBadger said:
Nowt, cept a better understanding of the rules of differentiation and logerithems :)
and yet, you still can't spell logarithm ;)

CyberSh33p said:
and yet, you still can't spell logarithm ;)
Owned again!

/me reinforces ban-suit.

Okay... Enough of that..

I really had trouble with trigonometry... I dont know why.. We will be doing it again this year.. Hope I can figure it out this time. :rolleyes:

don't worry if you find maths boring. it's not the end of the world. do enough to get yourself an average pass and forget about it once you're finished. unless you want to be a programmer you won't have to use pure/statistical mathematics ever again.

the idea behind maths classes in school is to teach kids a certain way of thinking. some kids will latch onto it and fully immerse themselves in it. others like yourself will get annoyed/bored/angry and just not learn anything.

so if you're worried about not doing any of the work, just relax. the worst thing you can do is panic. ask yourself if you're learning any 'concepts' from attending maths classes. don't worry if you can't figure out how to integrate or differentiate polynomials or whatnot. do you 'get' the logical way of thinking behind the maths? if you do, great. if not, just grin and bare it for the remainder of your course i guess.

EDIT: note to anyone wanting to study maths: study logic and nothing else. that's all you need. that way you'll be flexibly intelligent enough to lend your skills into any mathematical category.

I don't see how anyone could enjoy math class...it is the same exact thing every single ****ing day. Correct the assignment from yesterday, learn somthing new, practice problems, homework....every single ****ing day.

I love my calculus class but I think I'm the only one who does lol.

ComradeBadger said:
I like abstract Mathematics..

d/dx ( ylnx - 3e^xy + 3/2x^5 )

dy/dx = y/x -3e^xy + 15/2x^4

Piss easy.

Would you like a medal?

ComradeBadger said:
I like abstract Mathematics..

d/dx ( ylnx - 3e^xy + 3/2x^5 )

dy/dx = y/x -3e^xy + 15/2x^4

Piss easy.

Um....I have a hard time understanding what you're doing. If the equation before differentiating was y = ylnx - 3e^xy + 3/2x^5 (that's what I assume), wouldn't dy/dx be...

2y - 6(e^x)y + 15x^5
2x(1 + 3e^x - lnx)

Or are you thinking of y as a constant? In that case, I don't think you could write the answer as dy/dx = etc. since the derivative of a constant is zero.

OK, I'm a huge nerd.

vegeta897 said:
What is going on here?

This is what I am seeing...

:sniper: :dork: :dork:
I am seeing this
:dork: :dork: :LOL: ....... ;(

x^2dx = x^3 / 3 + C

edit: Sorry, I was tinkering around seeing if the integral would show up and accidently hit submit instead of preview.

Zoltar said:
x^2dx = x^3 / 3 + C

Hey, go apply that to the real world! (just so you know, the real world is 85% average people who hate maths!)

I agree, I hate maths, I just don't understand why we need to do question after question after question of the same thing. Take algebra, I have no need for it, yet my future is assessed on it.

If maths could be applied to something that I could use, then I would understand why we needed it (for example, my percentage up there). English is needed, I know that, say you go to a job interview, if you speak the language as fluently as a mexican fresh off the boat, then I doubt you'd get the job.

Maths is just another time waster to me. I'm not flaming anyone who enjoys maths, but :flame:! I guess I'm just one of the many who hates it.
*returns to janitor duties*

Orcone101 said:
Hey, go apply that to the real world! (just so you know, the real world is 85% average people who hate maths!)

I agree, I hate maths, I just don't understand why we need to do question after question after question of the same thing. Take algebra, I have no need for it, yet my future is assessed on it.

If maths could be applied to something that I could use, then I would understand why we needed it (for example, my percentage up there). English is needed, I know that, say you go to a job interview, if you speak the language as fluently as a mexican fresh off the boat, then I doubt you'd get the job.

Maths is just another time waster to me. I'm not flaming anyone who enjoys maths, but :flame:! I guess I'm just one of the many who hates it.
*returns to janitor duties*
english is not really needed for people who got it down...

such as myself

yet they still are forced to take it. math I can use, however.

I speak and write English pretty well, and I live in Australia. I may be the only Australian in my whole year, I'm not sure. Got to love immigration huh?
.... so many nguyen's in my year.

Orcone101 said:
I speak and write English pretty well, and I live in Australia. I may be the only Australian in my whole year, I'm not sure. Got to love immigration huh?
.... so many nguyen's in my year.
yeah, we have a person named Jenny Ng.

Our teacher asked her where she is from and my friend blurted out "Ng-land!"

I'm lucky -- my math teacher for Calc/HL is really nice and actually teaches us stuff, which is a really big improvement over my other math teachers.
My 9th grade teacher never really knew what she was teaching. Sometimes she'd be doing examples on the board and the students had to help her out with getting the answers.... and one time she couldn't get the right answer and she ended up changing the question so she could get it right.
Her pass/fail system of grading was also horrible. Basically, she splits her tests into sections. You either pass or fail each section... failing brings your whole average down about 3 points. But the nasty part of it is that you can miss 10 questions and spread out your wrong answers over 10 different sections and come out with 100... or you can miss 2 questions in one section and lose 3 points on your average. Made no sense at all.
Then, my 10th grade pre-calc teacher never taught us anything. Every single day was the same: 1) gives us handouts, reads it to us, word for word. 2) people who have questions about previous night's homework ask questions, other students write answers on board. 3) do homework for the rest of the class.

But at least math class isn't like this :D

qckbeam said:
Math doesn't suck once you find something to apply it too. The way math is taught (or at least the way it was taught in the many classes I have taken) is really quite horrible. Mathematics are a means to reach an end. We should be taught how to use them like one would use any other set of tools. Instead we are given abstract equations to solve, and no motivation whatsoever to solve them (as in, we do math problems for the sake of doing math problems). Many teachers do not seem to grasp this concept. Every other subject can be applied somewhere, at sometime. English, History, Science, all these courses could prove themselves useful, but Math isn't like that, it doesn't stand on it's own.

The "real world" problems on the New York state Regents exams (which is what all high-school kids are prepped for during their first three years) are piss-poor. Seriously, I read one that went something along the lines of "Billy and Jenny are playing a game with imaginary numbers...", alright, let's stop right there. Slapping some names to the front of a math problem does not make it any more "real world" than the traditional, arbitrary equation. Math is one of those things that needs to be applied for real, by the students, or else no one is ever going to grasp it (save those people who love solving puzzles for the sake of solving puzzles). For myself, the was programming; specifically writing 3D engines, physics app's, etc.

I did terrible in Math until I found a way to apply what I was learning to something I was interested in. After delving into the world of programming math class was simple, and eventually, became something I grew to love. Now I see how mathematics can be used to explain anything in our world. There is, in all honesty, an elemental sort of beauty to math. It's a shame so many will never see it.

Spot on.

I reckon they should only teach the very basic maths seperately, and from then on, they should integrate the complex maths into other classes, like physics and chemistry...

Oh, yeah... english... unless they're gonna run literary appreciation classes (where you just basically read a book of your choice all lesson :E), specific poetry classes, or other serious things like that, then all they really need are remedial classes for those kids who are still making misspellings like "writ" and "arsked"... they don't need that restrictive standardised stuff... at least one of my old english teachers understood that, to a degree... we got to go on excursions all over the joint in his class...

Brian Damage said:
Spot on.

I reckon they should only teach the very basic maths seperately, and from then on, they should integrate the complex maths into other classes, like physics and chemistry...

Oh, yeah... english... unless they're gonna run literary appreciation classes (where you just basically read a book of your choice all lesson :E), specific poetry classes, or other serious things like that, then all they really need are remedial classes for those kids who are still making misspellings like "writ" and "arsked"... they don't need that restrictive standardised stuff... at least one of my old english teachers understood that, to a degree... we got to go on excursions all over the joint in his class...
I'm still astonished by how often I hear someone say "axed" instead of "asked"
its not hard, the 's' comes first. rghrghrgrhr

Agreed.
I'll never understand why poetry is taught.
To me it's basically "Fancy complaining" :p

Orcone101 said:
Agreed.
I'll never understand why poetry is taught.
To me it's basically "Fancy complaining" :p
not all poetry is complaining or bad though :)

There once was a man from Nantucket,
who kept all his cash in a bucket,
but his daughter, named Nan,
ran away with a man,
and as for the bucket, Nantucket.

But he followed the pair to Pawtucket,
The man and the girl with the bucket;
and he said to the man,
he was welcome to Nan,
but as for the bucket, Pawtucket.

Then the pair followed Pa to Manhasset,
where he still held the cash as an asset,
but Nan and the man,
stole the money and ran,
and as for the bucket, Manhasset.

Of this story we hear from Nantucket,
about the mysterious loss of a bucket,
we are sorry for Nan,
aswell as the man,
the cash and the bucket, Pawtucket.

:naughty: I hate ****in math... math aint my friend. I worry so much though about math because it could be part of a successful future?!?! I.E. like going to ****ing college! I mean it's a shame I am in 11th grade taking ****ing Algebra AB, I am a total ****tard! Ahh well, yeah math sucks... or I do? Or we both do!

I don't understand why people hate Math!!
Guys .. math and physics are wonderful, I love them. I learned to solve first degree equations when I was like in grade one :p

It does depend on the teacher, I had a really bad teacher for my calculus class, and the calss was boring as hell; he made me hate calculus. (well not really, but I don't think of it the same way I think of math .. it has a bad memory :( )
but for my physics, I got a very good teacher, even though sometimes the class gets boring, but to me, he makes it fun.
and by "fun" I don't mean he turns the class into a bar, I mean the exact opposite: He teaches you physics, real physics. Very academic .. kinda.

and um, about math and english .. I don't think of school as a step towards career life, I think of it as an educational institution. I love to learn new things, just for the hell of it.
I hate school in general, but I like certain subjects (such as math :p)
As for english, I hate that subject! Yea yea .. I know I need it in rela life bla bla blah, but I just don't like it. We just read stories and poems and try to figure out the hidden secrets or something :/ IMO that's not english; that's letirature, and I don't care about that and don't need it. :sniper:

EDIT:
About poetry, I define it as "A piece of puzzle written in the most obscure form"
I just don't understand the purpose of it.

Why oh why do we study cartoons in english?
Turns out, after studying a Garfield comic about him chasing a mouse, it turned out that "Garfield is troubled by his appearance as a cat, yet he shuns himself away and denounces comformity by not chasing the mouse"

.... i could have put it down to garfield being a fat ****ing cat! Guess I was wrong :(
Ahh, the cartoon just seems so much funnier now doesn't it?

qckbeam said:
Would you like a medal?
Yes please :)

I'm actually quite proud that I understand these things ;(

Pfff sorry for sounding like a twat, apologies :)

And no Zoltar, I'm still right ;)

Brian Damage said:
Spot on.

Oh god I hate physics, another worthless class. We spent 2 days learning how to use a ruler...wtf...and we had to sing a song about significant figures and I refused to so the bitch took away my daily points(we get 5 points a day for just showing up and not taking out a gun and shooting someone). Also half the class never knows what the homework is because well...I have no fecking clue how she communicated our homework to us but it isn't verbally...unless it is in some sort of code...she does ramble a lot. I dont think I have ever learned anything useful in physics class, Jim drops a ball from a 100 foot building that weighs 1 pound, Suzy drops a ball that is twice the size but the same weight, which ball lands first? WTF does it matter? Also, all the BS with roller coasters, now they are forcing us to ride a bunch of them again just to fill out some BS packet about intertia and terminal volicty and centrifical forces and other BS I really don't need to know.

So why did you take a physics class, then? Or are they manditory where you are? If they are, that's screwed up...

And it sounds like you've got a bad teacher, anyway...

Physics is FUN. It's the lesson in which I learned how to make a railgun...

Brian Damage said:
So why did you take a physics class, then? Or are they manditory where you are? If they are, that's screwed up...

And it sounds like you've got a bad teacher, anyway...

Physics is FUN. It's the lesson in which I learned how to make a railgun...
My dad made me take it, he really liked physics when he was in high school so he thought that I would too. My teacher is insane, we just do random assignments where I learn nothing I didn't already know and sometimes we do a lab(with no experiment, all paper work) and then write a rerun that has to be a page long...wtf. I thought physics sounded cool too, but it isn't. The only good thing we will get to do all year is making a trebuchet, I have made a bunch before(ranging from 12 feet to 30 feet).

Heh i'm glad i'm done math forever. God I hate it. Can anyone tell me what 11+4-6*7/4= I have this piece of paper which I fill out and it says I might win a new car. So yay.

Back