Mech's Become Reality -FRIGIN AWESOME-

Kschreck

Reaction score
"Sakakibara Kikai has pictures and even a movie of their Land Walker robot (Babelfish translation here) which appears to work. Powered by a 250cc gas engine and armed with several guns (including 2 that fire Nerf-like balls) it stands at a little over 3 meters. What makes this one interesting is that it is actually armed and it is piloted instead of being an exo-skeleton. Makes me wonder if the creators of shows like Robotech or comics/RPGs like Battletech have any kind of licensening rights on appearance. I'd like to see a Warhammer..."

The Articles:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babe...ra-kikai.co.jp/products/other/LW.htm&lp=ja_en

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babe...-kikai.co.jp/products/other/images/robo_s.wmv (Video)

http://www.sakakibara-kikai.co.jp/index.htm

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/12/22/2045240&tid=216

LW3.jpg

This is seriously like the most awesome thing ever! Make sure to watch the included video.

Something similar was made a while ago, it had a nailgun and stuff! :D

Track based vehicle would own that. We all saw the flaws of walking based vehicles in Star Wars ;P

Just imagine. 20 years from now. A whole squad of these guys(heavily upgraded and modded to be war machines) as the new soldiers :D

Scary.

-Alix

I know this is only some nerds dream in his backyard, but one of those things that could run at a reasonable speed in the future around a city would be frigging terrifying to face as a solder. It would be hard to even hit it with an RPG - not like a tank.

I was expecting somethign a little more nimble. Even so, it's a step in the right direction. Mimicking nature mechanically is probably the hardest design feat to accomplish, with the highest efficiency.

Calanen said:
would be frigging terrifying to face as a solder.
Not in it's current form depicted in that video

"DEAR GOD IT LOOKS LIKE MY LITTLE BROTHER WALKING ON CORKED FLAW IN SOCKS!"

Mr-Fusion said:
"DEAR GOD IT LOOKS LIKE MY LITTLE BROTHER WALKING ON CORKED FLAW IN SOCKS!"

Why does your brother walk so slow? >_<

I dunno about you guys but i'm gonna pull the BS card on this one.

Either way, it's not realy a mech at all, just an outrageously innefecent wheeled vehicle. Note it's feet "roll" across the ground.

FireCrack said:
I dunno about you guys but i'm gonna pull the BS card on this one.

The video is too blurry but the pictures look like CG.

Pfffttt Exoskeletons are cooler.

Anyone whos played Act Of War will argree :p

Who would win...tanks or the Mechs( with big guns, of course)?

I'll say the Mechs.

Qwert93 said:
Who would win...tanks or the Mechs( with big guns, of course)?

I'll say the Mechs.
If we are being realistic here and the Mechs are like this one, then the tank laughs it, and blows it skyward. This thing is crap, looks like it would just fall over, its feet are on trolly wheels or maybe tracks, but mechs are meant to 'walk' to simulate a human. This sucks hard tbh. Until we get proper mechs (probably not gonna happe tho) tanks are more than safe. Mechs in games are class, in real life they don't deserve a mention. The video did not impress.

Pretty impressive work considering it's not the military. :)

Gunner said:
Pretty impressive work considering it's not the military. :)
thats what i was thinking. it wasnt built by a multi-billion dollar industry, just some dudes. i cant wait to see one built with some actual funding.

Theres no military benifit to walkers. Heres the key points:

- Theres no weight savings from legs vs track/wheels.
- Walkers have an increased critical strike zone. Plus thier being physically higher on the battefield will mean they will draw more attention.
- A walker in an urban battlefied could be trapped by low lying power lines, cables and even bridges. Especially in situations where colateral damage is trying to be minimized.
- loss of 1 leg results in loss of 50% of mobility. Additionally odds of a walker with one leg surviving much longer on the battle field after such a loss would be next to none. Plus It loses the capabilities of providing much fire support, if it has no self righting mechanism
- There is no indication that walkers could be feasible. This is based on the platforms speed, Firepower, deployment capabilities, and overall cost.

Wouldnt mind walking down to the shops in one of them, mowing down the pikies in my way with my chain gun and stomping on the smaller ones.... ahhh bliss, all for a bottle of Dr P.

Back