Memory Could Not Be Read Error

Dario D.

Spy
Reaction score
I just wanted to give a heads up for people who get this error... Are you mixing RAM? My brother was getting this error all the time until he un-mixed his RAM (which was DDR 400 and DDR 333 until he removed one).

I too get the error semi-frequently (like once every hour or two of gameplay) and am about to remove my "other" RAM stick.

If you get this error, can you verify if you're using two different types of RAM?

Yup. Only happens to me in CS Source though.

I've had this error all the time. Had it before when I only had one set of 2x512 (matched set) and I still got it now when I have 2x(2x512). Both sets are matched sets.

I am sure it is nothing to do with that. My RAM isn't mixed and I still have the problem, as do others. We will just have to wait for Valve to release some sort of fix.

I got it all the time when I disconnected my network connection because I got fed up of steam searching for an internet connection that wasn't there. Try deleting all the mdmp files in your steam directory. I was using two matched sticks of 512 in dual channel mode.

I get that error and the game crashes, usually after i have pressed shift (run) and another key.
Very annoying, it happens at least twice a session, and my RAM is matched, i havent tinkered with anything in my pc

Im using 3 different types of ram, since i put the latest 512mb stick in i havent had the error.

Are all you guys using AMD chipsets?

Or dual-channel? I'm also using AMD (nForce2 chipset) and dual-channel, and I crash a lot.

Maybe I should make a specs poll, to figure out if there are patterns among people who crash.

I've played just fine until two days ago then that error was thrown. Reinstalled everything, dont use mixed rams havent done crap but downloaded day of defeat source. It happened after i downloaded that but since i removed everything so. What the f*ck are you to do? Buy a game and then its stops working all of the sudden without you doing anything. Hate valve from time to time.

Using Intel P4 and 2x dual channel setup, always been dual channel, but only two sets of chips recently, but always crashed.

Back