Message to Gabe Newell

Hahaha. Yeah, because nobody had the name Yahtzee before the zeropunctuation guy. And Yahtzee totally isn't a game either.

Well, you know it's kind of like...maybe picking an original name perhaps? I mean the guy just signed up this month. All the opportunity in the world to strike out on his own with a brand new identity of his own rather than subsume himself under an existing label with connotations. Still look who I'm talking to here. :rolleyes:

Still look who I'm talking to here. :rolleyes:

That kind of supports my argument. I've got a name almost everyone knows is from DBZ but everyone still knows who the hell you're talking about if you say Vegeta.

Given that it's sold globally and that it was invented by Canadians, I'd say you were wrong.

I seriously doubt you guys play it the way we do though. Take a look at that video again. Tell me whats different about it compared to how you guys play it.

Thats right. We play it while dressed like we're in the 80s.

This thread is really bad. I feel tainted for posting in it.

That kind of supports my argument. I've got a name almost everyone knows is from DBZ but everyone still knows who the hell you're talking about if you say Vegeta.

I don't know I kind of think he has a point. Also you're a cartoon, where as Yatzee is a person.

Given that it's sold globally and that it was invented by Canadians, I'd say you were wrong.

Isn't Yahtzee just a title slapped on a game that was invented thousands of years ago?

According to Hasbro (I dunno how reliable of a source Hasbro is though... They might be the FOX of the toy/games world) it was invented by a Canadian couple who used to play it on their Yacht. Yahtzee was derived somehow from Yacht. I dunno, all of Hasbro might be high.

Maybe they were Nazi yacht enthusiasts?

Captain Goebbels aboard his yacht 'The Third Reich'.

Episode 3 will be shown at this year's E3.

Just like every other year.

Episode 3 will be shown at this year's E3.

Given the long assed delay between episodes my suspicion is that Valve have either abandoned the episodic format in favour of making a full HL sequel, or are also working on a multi-player element (CS2 for example) to bundle with it. I also wouldn't be surprised if they release a major update to the Source engine. One that not only makes it a lot more commercially competitive Vs other game engines in terms of feature set (far larger map extents for example), but also adopts a real time WYSIWYG map editor.

Given the long assed delay between episodes my suspicion is that Valve have either abandoned the episodic format in favour of making a full HL sequel, or are also working on a multi-player element (CS2 for example) to bundle with it. I also wouldn't be surprised if they release a major update to the Source engine. One that not only makes it a lot more commercially competitive Vs other game engines in terms of feature set (far larger map extents for example), but also adopts a real time WYSIWYG map editor.

Yeah, it seems to be the general consensus that they're just going to turn it into a full sequel. I'd kill to relive the same hype/excitement we all felt back in 2003. In terms of MP games that they could bundle in, I think they might be too focused on TF2 right now. Maybe they will though... who knows?

I'm not too sure about what goes on with the developer side of Source as you said with map sizes or anything, but yeah I can see them trying to make it more appealing to other devs.

On the visual side of things, Portal 2 is looking pretty damn good!

Gabe did say word for word:

"'Do you want us to do more episodes? Do you want us to really tighten down the time frames and look at the scope of what we're doing so that that's possible, for us to go back to the large monolithic projects?'"

So don't count on episode 3 - I think it's back to "Monoliths" - or, judging from L4D2 and Portal 2, what I consider totally uninteresting sequels to rather gimmicky games with almost no replay value. Flame away.

How about a major Source update or new engine? Perhaps a new IP or Half-Life multiplayer game with actual depth? I just hope Valve has some undisclosed projects that actually pertain remotely to my interests.

Gabe did say word for word:

So don't count on episode 3 - I think it's back to "Monoliths" - or, judging from L4D2 and Portal 2, what I consider totally uninteresting sequels to rather gimmicky games with almost no replay value. Flame away.

How about a major Source update or new engine? Perhaps a new IP or Half-Life multiplayer game with actual depth? I just hope Valve has some undisclosed projects that actually pertain remotely to my interests.

I think a Half-Life MP game with depth could be pretty interesting. Portal 2 looks like it's going to be full of fun, humor and creativity but I'd still rather have Episode 3/HL3 before that. The fact that they are just SO silent about their progress on the game means that they either a: have one map completed, or b: have something HUGE planned.

As I said before on the visual side of Portal 2, from what we've seen in the videos it looks like they've upgraded the lighting a ton and the models etc. look great as well. Haven't watched the videos in quite a bit, but yeah I'm pretty sure it looks a lot better. We still need to see how everything looks once we're actually in the game and not just viewing a couple of IGN screenshots or 2 minute videos.

Or they could have a completely reworked Source engine especially for Episode 3/HL3 that'll blow all of our minds in the same way they did at 2003's E3.

I suspect a newer engine is highly likely. One that is still Source based, but much more akin to U3 or Dunia in terms of the sort of map extents it can handle. Source has been losing out to other engines when it's come to 3rd party developers buying in technology and I've a feeling that Valve would love to turn that around and take away some of epics business (esp on the consoles), by strengthening Sources weaknesses, as well as making their development tools that much more user friendly across all 3 major platforms.

When Valve release EP3 of HL3, it's strong odds that it will come with some form of multi-player component. I'd say Counter-Strike 2 would be a likely contender.

As regards HL personally I'd be happy for them to wrap up Gordons Story and move onto an new IP. Albeit I'm a big fan of the work that they've done, there exists a certain sense of redundancy to the 'big bag of guns' play style, that is at odds with modern design sensibilities. It's a Doom 1 hangover.

Unbelievable they haven't released a multi-platform CS2 by now to nab even a single digit percent of the CoD community. They'd earn triple their combined profits for every previously released game in one night.

Valve said they were throwing around ideas for CS2 before but it got scrapped/put on the shelf. Personally I think a CS2 should mission-based and take some features and ideas from the original Rainbow 6. There should be time at the start specifically for each team to coordinate a plan and divide into groups and place map markers for objectives (time could be a server setting or voted on). Jumping should entirely be replaced with climbing and climbing ability modified by what armour you have equipped. There should also be some sort of mechanic that allows teams a limited respawn ability. Eg, if they can hold a designated re-enforcement point for a certain length of time but can only be used once per round.

I believe CS players would hate all of these ideas.

That would, however, be a fantastic idea for a new Rainbow Six. Too bad that franchise has jumped the shark a bit. :(

Oh, were you guys aware that Condition Zero is sometimes referred to as CS2? Neither. Frightening, that.

Pleasing the existing CS player base is probably the least of their concerns, Vs making a game that will be competitive with the Halo, CoD & GoW multi-player games.

Anyone know what income stream Valve gets from the retail and Steam sales of their old games? How big is the incitement to release a new game and make a shitload of cash?

Pleasing the existing CS player base is probably the least of their concerns, Vs making a game that will be competitive with the Halo, CoD & GoW multi-player games.

Actually, I think its the opposite. Pleasing the existing / former CS player base (only a fraction of the people who used to play still do today) is probably by far their most important goal - let us remember that CS is the most popular PC shooter ever, by a very large margin. They aren't going to alienate that core playerbase.

In fact, when it was confirmed a couple years ago that Minh Le left Valve to work on Tactical Insertion with some Asian studio, he basically said that it was because he couldn't work on CS2, because he didn't have any design freedom - he wanted to be able to introduce new gameplay and new mechanics, but that would just piss off CS fans, so he gave up and left Valve.

does cs fans can be pleased?

I mean,changes can induce pleasing on them?

Actually, I think its the opposite. Pleasing the existing / former CS player base (only a fraction of the people who used to play still do today) is probably by far their most important goal - let us remember that CS is the most popular PC shooter ever, by a very large margin. They aren't going to alienate that core playerbase.

1) They would be looking at overall market, not just PC in which case it's a minnow.

2) There's still loads of people play 1.6 Vs CS:Source. If that tells you anything about the core player base, it tells you that they aren't likely to change up any way (so there is no motivation to cater towards them). However those playing CS:Source might well change up, as well as those who've quit playing altogether.

3) No ones talking about getting rid of the core game play, more expanding it.

4) As regards Minh Le, some people can make the transition from a mod to going to a studio environment and some can't, personally my suspicion is that's more the truth of things than a lack of design freedom.

Back