MOD's..

Dodo

Tank
Reaction score
There are a lot of MOD's planned. But half of them havent even started drawing concept art. Some of them make some moddels, make a site. register the mod on a site and say its going online in a few months. I'dd say maybe 10% of al the planned MOd's are going to be playable MOD's and the rest will be canceld over time...

10%? I like your optimism :D
You don't need concept art to make a mod, but it helps.

well you cant make a good MOD without concept art;) and the 10% of the MOD's will be good playable games.

yes you can, and where is this 10% figure coming from anyway? :p

Well this stupid guy in the EDGE sad that most MOD's dont get completed... he sed something like 'one on ten', so.... 10%

And you could make a MOD without concept art but if youre working in a team ( like me :D ) its best to make some sketches so youre team know's what youre talking about.... :D

If you're a one man mod team (like me) and have a good visual imagination (like me), concept art isn't needed. Neither is it needed if your mod is not going to have any new graphics - just a simple code change.

And, it's closer to 3% of mods ever reaching some form of release. Out of that 3%, only about 10% will be any good. So, that makes 0.3% of mods declared so far actually be playable. But then again, because of the number of mods declared, that's still a worthwhile number.
These statistics only exist, however, because of the number of mod team leaders who can't put any dedication into their mod, nor are willing to buckle down and fill in for the members in their mod that they are missing. Haven't got a coder? Learn to code. Modeller gone for a walk? Download XSI, and start playing with it

Another reason that mods collapse is due to aiming too high to start with. They want all of theser massive features (customisable skins mid-game, 'moddable cars', matrix bullet time in multiplayer that only affects one person [which requires a rewrite of the world's physics, not just HL2's], and 1000 weapons in the first release). However, if they'd just focus on a few easy things to start with (usually coding-wise), the very core of the mod (like team systems, and win conditions, and being able to control your character/miniature army) then they might get somewhere, because there's an achievable goal in front of them.

And by your entusiasm over concept art, I'd guess you're a concept artist.

-Angry Lawyer

Concept art is to get idea's down, try out idea's, show people what your talking about.

Useful even if your a one man team.

Angry Lawyer said:
...Another reason that mods collapse is due to aiming too high to start with. They want all of theser massive features (customisable skins mid-game, 'moddable cars', matrix bullet time in multiplayer that only affects one person [which requires a rewrite of the world's physics, not just HL2's], and 1000 weapons in the first release). However, if they'd just focus on a few easy things to start with (usually coding-wise), the very core of the mod (like team systems, and win conditions, and being able to control your character/miniature army) then they might get somewhere, because there's an achievable goal in front of them...

I'm glad there's at least one other person out there who understands that!

Hhahahaha... I'm a concept artist... but you cant notice that because i say that a modding team needs concept art... (Angry Lawyer)

well glad you guys see what i mean. Half-Life².net should filter there MOD list for the "not going to be completed' MOD's.... :p

Dodo said:
well glad you guys see what i mean. Half-Life².net should filter there MOD list for the "not going to be completed' MOD's.... :p

That would be hard to do though since some mods that seem to be shining could one day collapse. On the opposite side, mods that seem to be dead or have no potential could pull up their socks and actually release a decent mod. You just never know... especially at this very early point of development.

And some mods are going to remain unannounced until something Beta-wise is available for the public (I.E. my mod). :p

Oh, and Dodo, it's amazing how much I can glean of people's personalities and traits by what they write, and how they write it. You never know just how much I've deduced about your personality, characteristics, and other whatnot in your posts so far.

-Angry Lawyer

We'll me to, im keeping it (my MOD) secret till its in a beta stage.

And uuh.. Angry lawyer... "You never know just how much I've deduced about your personality, characteristics, and other whatnot in your posts so far." is this a good or a bad thing :p

You can deduce anything you like, but that doesn't mean that you're right...

Ok, concept art is useful...

but:

-I do all the models.
-One other member does the 2D-Stuff.
-Several members do maps.

I know what to do, the 2D-man knows what he's doing, the mappers do a map each so they're knowing it too -> no concept art needed, really.

Dodo, it's neither a good nor bad thing - it's a scary thing...

*grins*

-Angry Lawyer

Back