Moment

S

SilentKilla

I don't come here as much anymore, but I'm awaiting almost all the mods that are soon to be release. However, everytime I open Mozilla, Yahoo yahoo comes up and says we have X amount of troops dead today. :frown: I think we should take a moment of silence for all these people that have been affected lately....

How the heck are we supposed to have a moment of silence on a text-based internet forum?

Not post? :eek:

edit: Whoops, I kinda ****ed that one up didn't I.

Espionage said:
You being serious?
If by saying 'being serious' you mean 'wondering where the logic is in making a thread on an Internet forum and asking several hundred people across the globe to share a collective group silence', then yes, I was 'being serious'.

I don't take part in minutes silences.

It doesn't do anything.
And most of the time, its a minutes silence for a girl that was killed by a car, who out of thousands of others was given the media attention, yet a child dies every 5 secounds.

Why just remember the troops, why not remeber both sides and the civillians as well, they all died for nothing.

But people here do alot more than just give a minutes silence.
I see people putting hours of there time, in there efforts to withdraw the troops, trying to get across the message that the war is not one that helps anyone, it is merely for profit. These are the people I respect, thoose who give there time in the hope that the movement they are part of can help get the troops back home, thus saving lives. We need to wake people up, and get out the truth, stop these people voting for an administration that does so much harm.

Don't be passive, and stand still for a minute, or an hour, or think for a day. That acomplishes nothing, get out there and raise money for charitie, give up some time, try and persuade fellow humans to do the right thing. Silence changes nothing.

First they came for the Jews. But I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.Then they came for the Communists. But I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists. But I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.
And then they came for me. But there was no one left to speak out for me.
- Pastor Martin Niemoeller, victim of the German Nazis.

First they came for the Jews. But I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.Then they came for the Communists. But I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists. But I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.
And then they came for me. But there was no one left to speak out for me.
- Pastor Martin Niemoeller, victim of the German Nazis

Think that says it all. Poigniont quote

i dont think he was literally asking for a moment of silence but just for us to take a moment out of our lives to remember them. but i do agree with solaris ..taking a moment to dwell on the past is absolutely fruitless.

Solaris said:

It doesn't do anything.
And most of the time, its a minutes silence for a girl that was killed by a car, who out of thousands of others was given the media attention, yet a child dies every 5 secounds.

Why just remember the troops, why not remeber both sides and the civillians as well, they all died for nothing.

I see people putting hours of there time, in there efforts to withdraw the troops, trying to get across the message that the war is not one that helps anyone, it is merely for profit. These are the people I respect, thoose who give there time in the hope that the movement they are part of can help get the troops back home, thus saving lives. We need to wake people up, and get out the truth, stop these people voting for an administration that does so much harm.

Don't be passive, and stand still for a minute, or an hour, or think for a day. That acomplishes nothing, get out there and raise money for charitie, give up some time, try and persuade fellow humans to do the right thing. Silence changes nothing.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/RIGHT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

that twas rather insightful.

Solaris said:
What? They do.

No, they don't.

A human dies every 11 seconds, while a human is born every 9 seconds. Hence increasing population.

If a child died every 5 seconds, there would be no one left on Earth by like 2100.

Solaris said:

It doesn't do anything.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/RIGHT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

I won't respond anything to this other than say if your going to post something as biased as that do it in the politics forum. This thread was dedicated to the people who signed on the line and have an oath for our country and gave their life for it. Silence may seem pointless to us but for the families mourning their loss it means a lot to them to know so many people are aware and respect that loss. Try not to be so selfish.

Glirk Dient said:
I won't respond anything to this other than say if your going to post something as biased as that do it in the politics forum. This thread was dedicated to the people who signed on the line and have an oath for our country and gave their life for it. Silence may seem pointless to us but for the families mourning their loss it means a lot to them to know so many people are aware and respect that loss. Try not to be so selfish.
Okay then, I make a thread about the Holocaust, and a minutes silence for that, and another for WW2 and anoter for WW1 and another for Aids and another for.....

There all very important, and there all extremely important to remeber.
But thoughts alone do nothing, we must act.

Edit: Maybe a child doesnt die every 5 secounds, maybe a child dies every 20 secounds, but both these statistics are horrific, and render minutes silence for one child pointless.

Yeah, it's a memetic dramatization concerning african malnutrition and hunger.

Solaris said:
Okay then, I make a thread about the Holocaust, and a minutes silence for that, and another for WW2 and anoter for WW1 and another for Aids and another for.....

Yes! We must act now! Stop browsing these forums you fools!

Quickly, join the Entente Powers and help us put down the threat of the Central Powers and evil Germany here in 2005! No better yet let's join the Allies to help prevent Axis invasion of Europe! Please Solaris, I beg of you to help us stop this massacre we now call the Holocaust!

Moments of silence are one thing when a tragedy happens. It's an entirely seperate thing when you ask for a moment of silence from bits of text on a website that has never made a sound.

People don't always have time to think, a moment of silence provides them with a minute of meditation.

TheSomeone said:
People don't always have time to think, a moment of silence provides them with a minute of meditation.
Idd, in real life it can be important to make people remeber.

We must learn from history, its been repeated to many times before.

I was merely saying that it would be in the intrests of the world, to try and persuade people from the dark side, than to stop posting for a minute.

Solaris said:

Edit: Maybe a child doesnt die every 5 secounds, maybe a child dies every 20 secounds, but both these statistics are horrific, and render minutes silence for one child pointless.

The problem with that is there isn't much grieving over the losses for those wars/events. You didn't pay attention to what I said at all did you?

Grieving for those losses of a child every x amount of seconds is for the most part pointless if you don't know of the event and the parents don't know what you are doing.

Glirk Dient said:
The problem with that is there isn't much grieving over the losses for those wars/events. You didn't pay attention to what I said at all did you?

Grieving for those losses of a child every x amount of seconds is for the most part pointless if you don't know of the event and the parents don't know what you are doing.
I dont know the name of one person who has died in Iraq.
I doubt many people do.

Axyon said:
How the heck are we supposed to have a moment of silence on a text-based internet forum?

Hehe. You're stupid, how did you become a mod? :LOL: Don't post idiot!! First off, these "Moment of silence posts" probably aren't even allowed, which is even more of a reason to not post. Instead you make a stupid comment and start a debate. Nice job Mr. Mod.

SilentKilla said:
Hehe. You're stupid, how did you become a mod? :LOL: Don't post idiot!! First off, these "Moment of silence posts" probably aren't even allowed, which is even more of a reason to not post. Instead you make a stupid comment and start a debate. Nice job Mr. Mod.
No, they're allowed, it's just that generally no-one's dumb enough to post one because of the realisation that nobody will co-operate/it quickly degenerates into a flamefest/it will turn into a politics debate. Generally.

SilentKilla said:

Axyon and I may have had our differences, but I agree with him here. It was a dumb request in the first place, and doesn't really make sense.

A child may die every 5 seconds, but only in Africa. Not on average everywhere.

In fact, less than one percent of the world's population dies a year. I think that's pretty good.

Nat Turner said:
A child may die every 5 seconds, but only in Africa. Not on average everywhere.

Lol that would only increase it to being one child for every 2 seconds or something.. it's not an average of the continents.

Back