More STALKER :o

Evo

Tank
Reaction score
More STALKER is coming this autumn! Game will be called Call of Pripyat and takes place after Shadow of Chernobyl. The military tries to scout the Zone but something goes wrong, all their equipment dies. The Ukranian Secret Service sends one man, you the player in to find out what went wrong.

New monsters and A-life system, a sleep mode, new interface etc.

Press release and two pics can be found: here.

Good news? Bad news? STALKER hate or love? Post your thoughts!

Didn't the last game blow? I remember a lot of you saying it was too buggy to even complete and still have any degree of fun. I think they're simultaneously working on a sequel, too, from what I read a few weeks ago.

Stalker has alot of problems, but I spent so much time exploring the first game and I love the setting so much, that I cant not be glad they are continuing it, I just wish the developers had the vision some of the mod developers have for the game, some elements of Clear Sky were pointless and diverted strongly from what made the original good.

But I shall wait and see.

I really loved the first. Still trudging through Clear Sky (don't really like faction wars).

Didn't the last game blow?

Nope, it didn't. I actually liked it more than the first, which had a lot more bugs and poorer optimisation than Clear Sky. Obviously allow another year on top of the release date for the third one to be playable without bugs.

Hope they are re-working Pripyat from scratch, as the first one was way too small, bland and mostly inaccessible.

I don't know what to feel about this :|

SOC kicked ass but I still haven't played clear sky cos of the bugs.

Post completeion free play and the other features make this sound like a solid addition to STALKER.

I look foreward to playing it.

I feel like I'm the only one who was bored to death with STALKER. Sure, the environments were cool and I love the eerie desolate feeling of just wandering around -- but I felt like I spent half the time trying to find out where to go and having zombie dogs nipping at my heels. Then again, I'm pretty navigationally retarded.

Stalker just needs decent combat. It's too basic, wooden, crappy animation. The premise is great and I love the look and feel, but the fighting was jarringly average. Maybe this one will improve things.

Yeah, I really hope they tighten up the accuracy for the player's weapons. Not being able to hit the broad side of a barn with an assault rifle firing in semi at more than 25 yards was juts frustrating.

I actually like the combat, at a long range. The game works very well for the way I play it, (using a scoped assault rifle at medium-long range firing a few shots at a time). Up close I find the combat fiddly and annoying and I didn't really like fighting humans in buildings (although I didn't mind fighting them too much in the more linear underground tunnels).

What they need to do (haven't played Clear Sky so forgive me if any of this has been taken care of) is improve the trade system so that you can actually have proper trading with random Stalkers you find. They always have the same amount of money (5000RU) and never anything to trade but the occational sausage. I want to be able to trade for all their gear. All their gear should show up in their inventory when you want to trade with them and say if you want to buy their primary weapon you must offer your one as well (and a price if your one is worse than his) before he'll sell you his (as obviously any Stalker would be crazy to sell it to you if it left him defenceless).

I don't care as long as theres more camining of the idi camins.

note: if you understand that, you are tollbooth.

I approve of more stalker. Though I've not beaten Clear Sky yet... I made it into the point-of-no-return land unknowingly, and then realized my armor was shredded to pieces. Trying to beat all of that territory and the next without any bullet resistance was just too frustrating...
SoC seemed to have plenty of spare suits in the point of no return territories, but if there were any in Clear Sky I couldn't find em.

Ugh. Even Stalker was buggy and Clear Sky is without doupt one of the worst games I have ever played. Unless they take really long time with it and a miracle happens this new game wont be worth the trouble.

Real men go into land of no return with leather hoodies.

I <3 GSC. Any STALKER game they release will be preordered by me. Why? Simple, they are unique, not a bandwagon jump or an attempt to please the lowest common denominator. STALKER does it's thing, some like it, some don't, I love it.

Besides, living next to Ukraine leaves an effect on you.

Loved the 1st, prequel was cool but the story lacked. Im going to be getting this for sure, simple because i love the stalker world. Combat has always been good for me, probably the way i play but i never have problems with it.

I bought both of the first ones but I've never played either apart from the first level on Cheronbyl which sucked.

tl;dr

STALKER is still as awesome as sex.

Figuratively speaking.

My rant on Clear Sky, and why there shouldn't be more Stalker games unless they can fix the huge list of game design problems and bugs, which is longer than the feature list.
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showpost.php?p=2941527&postcount=2848

wow, you are one easily confused and wound up human being.

Hate to admit it, but I'm with Grizzly on this one... the STALKER games, buggy as they may be (hey, what game isn't these days?), are a unique gaming experience. They are the most original fps's since the Halflife games.

First I was just going to write "0/10 Worst game ever," but then felt like explaining it a bit... and I had a lot in my heart.

Hate to admit it, but I'm with Grizzly on this one... the STALKER games, buggy as they may be (hey, what game isn't these days?), are a unique gaming experience. They are the most original fps's since the Halflife games.

No other game have had this many bugs and weird design decisions. It really made the game frustrating to play. I didn't have nearly as much problems with the original Stalker. I am not sure what exactly has changed. But I also remember someone saying that with the original game they where forced to release it too early or something of that sort, and that Clear Sky would be "what Stalker was originally supposed to be". Well, I really hope and doupt that is true, since the experience was so much worse in Clear Sky.

I think if what Heppa says is accurate then there is no excuse for such sloppy design.

I think if what Heppa says is accurate then there is no excuse for such sloppy design.

Very diplomatic and true.

But I think what Heppa says is personal opinion based on a few minor bugs and a lot of confusion. SoC had more bugs, AND was badly optimised. GTA4 was the worst port ever and had bugs coming out of it's ass. Empire Total War is still unplayable, months after release and after several major patches. Gothic 3 has only just been fixed with a final patch, 2 years later.

Sloppy is not a word i'd use for Clear Sky, which had all of the game breaking bugs fixed by patch 2. The faction wars element is subtle but it works, if you do it right you can get squads of friendlies to move around the map with you taking control points, and even move into enemy held areas to hold the access points therein.

The claims behind Clear Sky being what STALKER should've been relate to it being more free-roaming with more player decisions, the inclusion of blow-outs, and more factions with the ability to side with any of them, instead of the linear, wide corridor faux free-roamer with go-fetch side quests that SoC ended up as.

It will never be what the original idea of STALKER wanted to be, but Clear Sky was a step in the right direction.

I think SoC is a fantastic game with only one flaw: It's nowhere near finished. Still haven't gotten CS.

Edit: This is seperate from S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 isn't it? That's using a new engine isn't it?

AWESOME! The original STALKER is still one of my favourite games full stop. I just hoped this game would deliver more on the free-roaming aspects, and having a little more dynamic world. I wanted to see a more "living" world, as in neutral stalkers trading weapons and artifacts with each other(and the player,sometimes actively seeking the player out to trade with him/her), and looting corpses for artifacts/ammo/cash/armor/vodka and actually using said cash/items instead of being just walking money/ammo bags for the player.

It'd be awesome for immersion if the player was just hanging out at a dark corner table of the bar,drinking vodka and talking to some npcs when a group of say, 5 guys in heavy exoskeleton suits come in and talk to some person, the person then pointing at you with his hand. The music is loud and you can't hear the words uttered but you start to feel a little threatened. The men then sell some artifacts to the barkeep and use the money to refill their ammo and maybe purchase new weapons to replace their worn-out ones.
They then leave and you forget about them.. Until you hit the streets again, into the black rainy night and see a two of them emerging from a shadowy alley, hear a shotgun cocked behind you - that being the last thing you'll see or hear before you're gunned down in a hail of bullets and the killers slip again into the black of night after going through your pockets for valuables and your PDA as proof to their employer that they've completed their mission by eliminating you.

I just hope they'd really, really concentrate on eliminating at least the fatal bugs that riddled the first game. Some bugs are acceptable, even hilarious, but game breaking bugs are just unacceptable. Playing SOC was apparently like a glitch lottery to my acquaintances : In my STALKER the quicksaves didn't work while my friend was unable to use anything other than quicksaves, third guy's game kept ctd:ing no matter what he did and the fourth encountering multiple instances of some vital events not triggering, thus stopping progress in the game. It's still an awesome game, despite the shortcomings.

I'd love to play through my bargain £3.50 stalker copy, but it annoys me so much cos of some stupid shadow kind of bug, i've searched the net and edited a text file to try fix it but it didn't work (i play at 1920 x 1080 resolution or 1680 x 1050)

If anyone knows how to fix this ...please tell me, as the game itself seems really appealing.

Would help if we knew which 'shadow kind of bug' you are talking about. Did you try the float32 performance fix?

I know i'm in the minority on this one, but I had more bugs with Bioshock than I did with stalker. In Bioshock my sound would cut in and out, then sometimes specific sounds would cut out (like can't hear talking but can hear ambient noises), and sometimes the game is unplayable due to scripted sequences not running (like that first sequences where the slicer opens the door to the elevator) so I'm just forever stuck in it.

So my biggest complaint with stalker was the poor way they did quests...I'd spend 15 minutes running 10km to kill some dude and get his PDA, then spend 15min running back to my original location to deliver it, then for my next quest he'll be like, "hey remember that place you just went to? Yea, now go 100m past that same place and find me this thing and bring it back." FUUUUUUU! Why didn't you give me these two quests at the same time?!

I think the problem with the quest system is that you get the same few quests over and over. I can't count the number of times I've fetched a snork's foot or killed the bandits at the garbage. Also the fact that they all have the same time limit. "I'm sorry but I needed that flesh penis 3 minutes ago so I will no longer pay you."

Back