Most Overrated Band Ever

considering the secret message in Letters' sig I wouldn't take chances.

and I really don't listen to enough music to say. I'll go back to the mid 90s now and listen to my tmbg...

lots of bands are overrated in the sense that they have over-devoted fans (usually fanatics), while they often have only one sound that they simply rinse and repeat. that's what actually separates RHCP fomr some of the other bands mentioned (esp. metallica and ACDC) in this thread, is that their sound evolved a bit over their career. i don't much care for RHCP myself. nirvanan is only slighty over-rated; they're importance was in bringing'grunge' ("alternative" in general) into the mainstream. maiden and judas priest were also pretty influential in the metal genre (which i generally dislike, personally), whereas metallica is more of a follower. most of the other bands mentioned aren't over-rated, because they're not considered particualrly important by anyone except their few fans.. e.g. you might not like the 80s kitsch of the darkness, but they're hardly over-rated.

personally, i love maiden, usually people i know, say they hate iron maiden, but have never actually heard them. i play them a few songs and most of them love them now. you've just got to be open minded. i like a few metallica songs, like fade to black, but most of them i dont like. ac dc im not too fond of at all though. and dont think im a metal head for one minute either, on my playlist, ive got the beatles,the cardigans, the who, massive attack, lenny kravits, seal, beach boys, and all sorts of stuff. some of my favourite maiden stuff is dance of death, the number of the beast, the trooper, blood brothers, be quick or be dead, and aces high if you want to try them with an oipen mind. im not guaranteeing youll like it, as im sure mnost of you wont, but i bet at least some of you bashing them will enjoy them. you have to listen to the full songs though, because they flow together, you cant just skip to the middle and say you dont like it.

Led Zeppelin Just wanted to see what people would say........

metallica is a bunch of 50 year olds playing the same song over and over. I wonder why people actually like it. My vote is for them.

Now that I think about it, I'd say most of the songs that are forced down my throat on the radio(no, its reallyt not my choice, school bus etc >_>) are very overrated. Basically, they're crap. I of course, am talking about rap and whatnot. The vast majority of rap songs are mind-numbingly stupid, glorify violence, not that I actually care much about that, and worst of all are all too often about the same things over and over. I'm too tired to make a good articulated post on it, but I'd say if any band is overrated, it would have to be just about ever hiphop/rap group I have ever heard.

Im guessing none of you have ever heard of Nickelback.

Count yourselves lucky.

Foxtrot said:
Led Zeppelin Just wanted to see what people would say........

"More than any other band, Led Zeppelin established the concept of album-oriented rock, refusing to release popular songs from their albums as singles. In doing so, they established the dominant format for heavy metal, as well as the genre's actual sound."
-S.T. Erlewine

you want to see what i would say, right? :)
i like lots of zeppelin myself, but not all of it. one thing i especially like is their versatility. for example, compare 'd'yer mak'er', 'going to california', 'immigrant song', and 'kashmir' to each other, but they didn't exhibit the versatility enough, imo. however, not many bands can say that their first six albums are all classics..

crush, check out the songs above as well as 'over the hills and far away', 'friends', 'houses of the holy', 'dancing days', and 'stairway to heaven' to get a feel for led zeppelin.

Metallica wins my vote for this one. I don't really like any of their stuff except Unforgiven and some of the stuff they played with the San Francisco symphony.

I absolutely despise St. Anger...god..

RCHP is good. That's all I have to say about them.
Same with Nirvana.

I never really hold a band up high because of their influence on music. I just listen to what they come out with...and RCHP and Nirvana happen to have a bunch of songs I like.

Lets See...

- Korn
- any Pop Punk band
- Incubus (They haven't had a good album in a while)

I just started listening to the new Incubus album, and whether you like it or not you have to admit theres some talent there.
RHCP will always have a place in my heart, even if its just for "Rollercoaster." :D

I dunno if this has been said before, but:

Nickelback.

Edit: ductonius, I feel your pain.

Dunno, I would think that enough people are aware that Nickelback sucks. :D

Broad appeal.
They're mediocre at everything, so everyone can sorta-like them, which is enough.

Yep, i agree entirely red hot chilli peppers seem to be hailed as gods but they really arnt that good at all. They are just annoying to be honest. I like metallica, they are a good band but well st anger= :x. They do alot of crap but some amazing stuff. I think they deserve their status.
Nirvana have done about 3 good songs, then it starts to get annoying.. the droning drives me insane :x.

ACDC= crap. I hate the vocals, that too i find annoying (seeing a pattern here now?)

I am shocked and severely disappointed that anyone could think Led Zeppellin were overrated. Shocked I tells ya. They're an amazing band in terms of scope, influence and sheer genius. Well, except for the drum solos, they were silly. Oh yeah, and D'yer Maker. That was a huge pile of arse.

el Chi: highlight that persons quote. They just did it to see what people would say.

Although he isn't a band, the singer Timothy McGraw is highly overrated.

New Metallica is shite.
No matter what you want to label St. Anger, its one of the worst albums I've ever had the misfortune to hear.

Anyone Heard of HIM? God I dispise that band.

Not really a band, but I'm pretty tired with eminem and his 'personal issues' songs polluting the airways these days.

Direwolf- REM, they've done some great songs amongst a lot of bland albums in my view.

I can understand not liking the majority of their music, but I sure as heck don't think that earns them a place amongst the most overrated bands of all time. At least they had more than one hit. :D

I have a short list:
Nirvana
Metallica
Radiohead (only for their last 2 albums)
The Strokes
The Postal Service
Marilyn Manson
Ozzy Osbourne (come on, he sounds like my grandma when he sings...)
Evanescence (they're okay, but they get way too much airtime)
Tool

My list probably isn't the same as your list, so don't take mine to heart.

What about the underrated bands? Such as Doves and Zero 7.

Hehe Led Zeppelin is probably my favorite band, I just wanted to see what people would say. Most over rated band is Pink Floyd. It seems like the only reason people like them is because of the image. Well....they probably aren't the most over rated band but I didn't feel like pointing out the obvious ones.

.. welp, now you really are wrong foxtrot :). pink floyd is one of the greatest rock bands ever. at least as influential as led zeppelin. it'd be really hard to over-state the importance of pink floyd. the number one rock album ever (by most expert opinions) in 'dark side of the moon', some of the most popular radio singles of all time, including the most-often played song in radio history (another brick in the wall pt 2, i believe). the commercial impact alone outs them out of the reach of overratedness, imo. not to mention their innovation is concert performance..

don't confuse post-roger waters pink floyd witht he real pink floyd. dark side, animals, wish you were here, meddle, the wall.. absolute classics of rock. they essentially invented prog-rock and space rock, and along with the beatles sgt. pepper, 'piper at the gates of dawn' defined psychedeilc rock. much like with the beatles, modern rock would be completely different w/o pink floyd. you may not like them, but their importance to the history of music is hardly overstatable.

btw, radiohead is overrated.. i like them a lot, but too many people think they're the second coming or something.. holy crap..

good charlotte, afi, blink182, new found glory, limp dickshit,metallica, POD, matchbox 20, ac/dc, LINKIN PARK!!!, the vines, the hives, the strokes, the white stripes, sum 41, beck, the darkness, nickelback, puddle of mudd,(recent) korn, (recent) greenday

that's all i can think of for now... not sure how many of those are rated highly, so that they can be overrated... but eh... i guess linkin park = the most uber overrated band on there...

I know what you guys mean about repetative sounds from song to song in certain bands. The new Korn album, Metallica in general, etc etc. I usually like music that has no connection with another song on the album. Such as the Mushroomhead album XX. :)

For the Brits and NME readers: Does anyone remember Andrew WK? Ha-dee-f*cking-har. silly NME vaunted him as some kind of new musical sensation and then totally backed down with their tails in between their legs because everyone (including them) realised he was sh*t. :LOL:

I can't remember who said all emo bands suck and their posers. I listen to emo and i'll agree there are HEAPS and HEAPS of posers but there's also a fair few bands that stick out and really really rock. oh and NickelBack and Puddle Of Mudd should die. Speaking of which i read in the paper that the band Puddle of Mudd left their singer on stage for 45 minutes and he just ranted to the audience the whole time, somehow they got sued and the judge said that band was a disgrace to humanity and to music-lovers everywhere :D

el Chi said:
For the Brits and NME readers: Does anyone remember Andrew WK? Ha-dee-f*cking-har. silly NME vaunted him as some kind of new musical sensation and then totally backed down with their tails in between their legs because everyone (including them) realised he was sh*t. :LOL:
Yeah I remember that. Me and my mate were convinced it was a joke played on the music press and industry in general :E

lets face it, theres been so much variation in music over the years , its all getting repetitive and turning into a bigger money making pot now days,, its just gonna suck even more. I have my doubts but I think music is going to loose its appeal slightly at some stage if it carry's on like this with all this processed churned out rock music thats supposed to be 'origional'

Well, I wouldn't know much about overrated bands... can't even remember most of their names...

But my sister suggested "High Five"....

Back