mp gladiator mod?

Would you want to play a mp gladiator mod?

• Hell yeah, that would be sweet!!

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Maybe, if the combat system is great

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • Might check it out when it's done. other then that, no

• Sucks, boring etc

• Total voters
S

Soulshade

I thought of the idea to make a multiplayer mod where you can play as a ancient roman gladiator (like movie The Gladiator). There would be different kinds of matches, like 1 vs 1, 1 vs many, team vs team, team vs animals etc. Every gladiator in the arena is played by a different person. The fighting won't be hack and slash (so battles aren't over in 5 seconds), but it will require an effective combination of moves to beat your opponent. A bit like the 1 vs 1 fights in Troy, but not just as long.
What would you say about that?

(I know this is wrong forum but I wanted to have as many votes as possible. Sry mods :cat: )

Sucks, boring etc

Not into mods like that.

Wow man, that became lame...about 2000 years ago.

Do it right and it could be very enjoyable. Read thru as many books on the subject as u can - see how many different gladatorial battles the romans had (there were many) and see what u can do with um.

The combat system would be the hardest to sort, and it'd have to be fast paced, but at the same time not just involving insane key bashing. Good luck with it, I'll certainly check it out when it's done

Raziel-Jcd said:
Sucks, boring etc

Not into mods like that.

The fact that it would not be your style would not mean it sucks. CS is not everybodys style too, but I'd hardly say it sucks.

I like the idea, as long as the combat is intuitive and fun.
However! You should delve into the roman stuff, I'd hate to see ahistorically inaccurate game, just cause it looks cool to have a sword wielder with a net(example).
Thenagain, is its fun as hell... :)

Clavius said:
Wow man, that became lame...about 2000 years ago.

Yeah, and so did the roman battles, who'd like to play a videogame of THAT? :E

One of the things that struck me in the film Gladiator was how tired the combatants quickly became during their battles. I can imagine that a stamina-based combat system would work really well in a realistic gladiatorial-based mod.

Imagine if the damage you dealt partially depended partly on how much stamina you had and simple things like running/jumping/fighting/blocking all cost stamina (which you could slowly regain while standing/walking etc.)

It would make for some good games of cat'n'mouse, etc.

Thanks for the imput.

Yes the combat system will be very hard. Different combination of keys make different kinds of moves. As said, the problem is that it shouldn't be who can bash his keys the fastest. I was thinking that defence should be relatively easy, so it's hard to get killed. The only times you can get hit is when you make a move (when doing a move you give up your defence for the offence) or maybe when the opponent succeeds in doing a very hard key combination. I'm not sure about the key combination thing though, kinda sounds outdated.

The second thing that should make it fun is the teamplay. When fighting team vs team, the team that has the best strategy should win. Think of the Chariots vs Slaves battle in The Gladiator. The slaves formed a turtle formation, and the chariots circled around the slaves. Both effective strategies.

Edit: The stamina part sounds nice too. When your stamina is low, the chance you block and parry will lower, thus lowering your defence. So if you do too much moves at the start but your opponent manages to survive, he won't have much porblem killing you since your stamina is low.

I think it would be fun, it you could like knock someones helmet off, then get on the ground and beat them to death.

Roman coliseum battles included:
One on one man vs man battles
Small number of very unarmed slaves vs one hard nut gladiator
Small number of very unarmed slaves vs animals
Badass Gladiators vs animals
Animals vs animals
As seen in Gladiator, various vehicular based combat
And even flooding the stadium to have water based battles in boats.

Would it be possible to make animal characters? Being able to play as either a slave, a gladiator, or a Tiger would own.

Perhaps have it RPG style, or have an RPG mode. Where by you begin as a slave (wonder what film I'm thinking bout here?) and work your way thru battles, earning money for equipment.

And as a bonus, when completed, you get to fight a load of guys with the manipulator gun and a load of barrels.
HEHE

Forau said:
The fact that it would not be your style would not mean it sucks. CS is not everybodys style too, but I'd hardly say it sucks.

I like the idea, as long as the combat is intuitive and fun.
However! You should delve into the roman stuff, I'd hate to see ahistorically inaccurate game, just cause it looks cool to have a sword wielder with a net(example).
Thenagain, is its fun as hell... :)

Well it sucks in my head. What i meant was i would find it fun and that the idea to me wasnt good. I dont think anyone would play that. He would probably end up wasting his time. Sry if you took it in a harsh way didnt mean to be an ass.

you would have to use a Jedi knight 2 system, "primary attack = swing, secondary attack, shield" just wouldnt cut it...

and it would have to be in 3rd person. Which i dont like :/

Reaperman said:
you would have to use a Jedi knight 2 system, "primary attack = swing, secondary attack, shield" just wouldnt cut it...

aha, a click and then a mouse direction, a possibilty of 8 different strikes?

Raziel-Jcd said:
and it would have to be in 3rd person. Which i dont like :/

not necessarily, the jedi knigt games were still great in 1st per

EH i guess. If its 1st person ill look into it but the last hl1 mod i played that was with gladiators etc was horrible.

Ofcourse the mod isn't for everyone, no mod/game is. We don't have to fight about it :cheers:

How does the jedi knight 2 combat system work? Never played it.

And yes I think 3rd person is almost a must, atleast a 3rd person option.

i like your idea :)
if i remember correctly, there are already some mods out there, which try to pull off the same thing.
If you can achieve something, that does blend intuitive design with combatvaritey, i'm sure lots of people will play it, at least i would.
Few things about sword battles, please disable strafe keys :) nothings more stupid than some heavy armed gladiator circlestrafing a tiger. Maybe add some dodge keys, which cost more stamina than normal movement, so you can evade some very powerfull attacks.
i once played a really old game, which had something where in close combat, you controlled your sword with the mouse, it let you perform an infinite varity of moves, was pretty cool, if your not moving around alot.

virus said:
Maybe add some dodge keys, which cost more stamina than normal movement, so you can evade some very powerfull attacks.

i once played a really old game, which had something where in close combat, you controlled your sword with the mouse, it let you perform an infinite varity of moves, was pretty cool, if your not moving around alot.

Well I was thinking about doing no evasive/dodge keys at all, but just using 1 key as the defence key, and the game then makes a defensive move (the game determines what's best, may it be block, parry or dodge). Dodging a blow with a key in a computer game will be very hard I think, and I want defence to be easy so battles last longer.

About controlling your sword with your mouse, will be very hard, but I'll look into it. Problem is you'll get console-like moving, cause you have to use keys to turn around.

Back