Must-have albums

Puddin' taine! :D My all time favourite Primus song. :D

EDIT: I prefer Puddin' Taine over Pudding Time, but their both great. As is, every Primus song.

U2 - The Joshua Tree

:)

NiN - The Fragile

The Great Depression - Unconscious Pilot
Squarepusher - Feed Me Weird Things
Autechre - Peel Session
The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, Adore, and Pisces Iscariot
Radiohead - Kid A, Amnesiac, and Hail to the Thief
Amon Tobin - Supermodified
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Bonobo - Animal Magic
Tool - Lateralus

I wish I could remember the name of this one unofficial Jimi Hendrix album I had but I can't. It was a buncha studio songs but since I burned it a long while back I can't remember the names either.

I like your taste :) But I prefer Siamese Dream over Adore when it comes to the Pumpkins.

Siamese Dream is a close second for me. I didn't like Melon Collie that much at all.

Also, on the subject of Pink Floyd, Piper at the Gates of Dawn trumps The Wall and Dark Side put together.

Siamese Dream was just ok to me. Pisces Iscariot is where it's at. Even if it is some of their B-side work.

You can usually tell the difference with the hair, though; most of the time the kids and whatnot don't have it very long, as, since they're just latching on to the trends, haven't actually been growing it out very long. Since it's just a trend for them, too, they won't continue growing it. Any real fan you can tell by the fact that their hair is actually a decent length. :p I'll bet you if those kids actually listened to more than a couple of songs from each band, they wouldn't like them so much... and they won't be into anything obscure at all, either. I've actually met people that thought Pink Floyd were "underground".

Yeah, my hair is reasonably long now, its now crawling down my arms when I have it behind my ears, and it's quite disturbing to see what people are doing with their hair today. I'm not one to judge them or 'hate on them' for it, but some kids... eh, it makes me laugh or frown. Its also the fact that I wear a pair of 3 quater lenghts and a shirt, which is usually a band shirt, and lately wearing cut-off camo shorts is the 'in' thing and whilst trying not to sound to elitest about it, it kinda makes me look like one of those bandwagon jumping morons (note: I've been wearing camo 3 quater lenghts for 5 years now and no, not because it looks 'cool' but because I prefer shorts as I have more freedom and why have a dull, boring, plain pair when for the same price I can get it in camo?)

Eh, whatever. It'll all blow over soon, and eventually these kids will turn to the guy next to him and say ''waaaaiitt a second, we look identical!''

Good call on Animals, too. Mad awesome album.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
The Libertines - Up The Bracket
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
At The Drive-In - Relationship of Command
Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlantiscism
The Clash - London Calling
Muse - Symmetry of Origin -and- Absolution
Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine
Radiohead - OK Computer

Milburn - Well Well Well

Milburn have an album? WHY WASNT I TOLD?!!

Siamese Dream was just ok to me. Pisces Iscariot is where it's at. Even if it is some of their B-side work.

I honestly don't remember any part of PI really sticking out for me *shrug*

By the way, nice avatar ;)

Muse - Symmetry of Origin
It's Origin of Symmetry, but agreed ;)

Definitely their best album to date IMO. Absolution or Black Holes/Revelations would probably be a better starting point for someone unfamiliar to the band though.

It's Origin of Symmetry, but agreed ;)

Definitely their best album to date IMO. Absolution or Black Holes/Revelations would probably be a better starting point for someone unfamiliar to the band though.

He seems to be very familiar with them. :LOL:

Siamese Dream is a close second for me. I didn't like Melon Collie that much at all.

Also, on the subject of Pink Floyd, Piper at the Gates of Dawn trumps The Wall and Dark Side put together.

Mellon Collie was alright until the song "Love", it went downhill from there. "Where Boys fear to Tread" gave me some hope for Twilight, but the second half of it flailed too much (XYU was just...horrible).

Led Zeppelin II by Led Zeppelin

Wheels of Fire by Cream

Steal This Album! SOAD
Eww. Sorry, I'm a SoaD fan, but that's the last album I'd recommend. Infact I'd ask people to take the title quite literally :p

That said, it's a good'un for fans, as long as you realise it's nothing but songs that were chopped from Toxicity (apparently they have a habit of writing two albums at once... personally I think they should've chopped most of Mezmerize too :p), and some from movie soundtracks and stuff. Most of it's been floating around the net for ages anyway, although it is all re-recorded and sounding sharp, so like I said good for the fans.

*ahem* Not to shit all over your opinion, that is... thanks for posting! :p

Master Of Puppets
Wolfmother
By The Way

Wootage to the limit :D

I'm going to go all classic

Sgt Peppers - the Beatles
Exiles on Main Street - Rolling Stones
Dark side of the moon/the wall - Pink Floyd
Quadrophenia - The Who
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Led Zeppelin 4 - Led Zeppelin
Van Halen - Van Halen
Legend - Bob Marley

must have eclectic:

Ramones - Ramones
The Idiot - Iggy Pop
London Calling - The Clash
Never Mind the Bollocks - the Sex Pistols
It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back - Public Enemy

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
The Libertines - Up The Bracket
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
At The Drive-In - Relationship of Command
Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlantiscism
The Clash - London Calling
Muse - Symmetry of Origin -and- Absolution
Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine
Radiohead - OK Computer

Milburn have an album? WHY WASNT I TOLD?!!

They do if your a user of torrents ;) if not you`ve got to wait until October the 9th for the official release.

Pm if you want me to hook you up :)

Must have albums hmmm let's see
Rammstein-Reise,Reise
Rammstein-Ronserot
Disturbed-Ten Thousand Fists
Disturbed-The Sickness
Metallica -St.Anger

St. Anger? It's one of their worse albums :S

^ Agreed. That album is amazing.

Moving Pictures - Rush
Physical Graffitti - Led Zep

God yes. I only got into it this year after having it as mp3s from a mate from years ago, but it's a bloody good album...

you should listen to protection as well.

mezzanine is also good, but different.

the fourth album is crap, the most influencial member left before they made it.

*shameless plug*

War of a Time Unknown- Stylish Headphones, Milady

I'm selling it tommorow!

*shameless plug*

The Fratellis - Costello Music, their new album, provided through internet leak once again.

I'm just a pathetic young whippersnapper, so I can't really recommend too much from before the 90s. But here's my stab at it:

OK Computer - Radiohead
Radiohead basically struck the perfect balance between traditional rock and experimentation. The result is an utterly unique album that takes awhile to get under your skin, but once it does, you'll marvel at its utter perfection.

Third Eye Blind- Third Eye Blind
Arguably the height of the mainstream alternative movement from the late 90s. There are some incredibly catchy, radio-friendly pop songs, but make no mistake - they're a rock band.

Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots - The Flaming Lips
Just as weird as it's title, and just as brilliant.

Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
This hardly even needs an explanation.

Blur - The Best of Blur
These guys were the bitter rivals of Oasis back in the day, and in my opinion they're a lot better and more innovative. This CD covers all the way from their early britpop days, through their indie-rock era (Woohoo!), and onwards towards their later experimentation.

There are a lot more, but those are some of my favorites.

Selected Ambient Works Vol. 1 by Aphex Twin

Hard Normal Daddy by Squarepusher

Music Has The Right To Children by Boards of Canada

Kid A by Radiohead

The Fragile by Nine Inch Nails

In Sides by Orbital

Kid A by Radiohead

In Sides by Orbital

Amazing list.

More

Low-David Bowie
Hunky Dory-David Bowie
On Fire-Galaxie 500
Forever Changes-Love
illinois-sufjan stevens
Aeroplane over the sea-Neutral Milk Hotel

Kid A by Radiohead

In Sides by Orbital

"We've got heads on sticks, you've got ventriloquists"

Good list.

I will recommend Silent Alarm by Bloc Party ...great debut.

omg! geoff tate and the boys ..I saw the operation mindcrme tour when they came to TO back in the 80's (I think) ..they opened for Ozzy ..blew ozzy away

Rush is a strange phenomenon in that most fans I've spoken to don't really favour one album in particular, but the 4 album era they caught the bus. All the rest for them kind of spread out around that like a shockwave.
There are others I like equally as much, but my era would be '82 - '87, Signals through Hold Your Fire, Power Windows being the epicentre, so to speak.

Some others I would recommend for your playlist:

Tulsa Drone - No Wake
Boards of Canada - Geogaddi
Unkle - Psyence Fiction

Back