My new bike :D

repiV

Tank
Reaction score
Been riding an ancient piece of crap on loan from my mechanic for the past month, held together by gaffa tape, with a slow puncture in the rear tyre and this strange fault where the throttle cuts out if revved hard...which I first discovered overtaking a learner car, how embarrassing. :rolleyes:

So today I go to pick up my finally finished bike...I call it new because I crashed it so spectacularly the only parts that haven't been salvaged from somewhere else are the engine, front forks and front wheel. It even has a new registration number. Been resprayed...it looks stunning, and it rides like a dream too. Very happy with it. :)

Image003-1.jpg

Image004-1.jpg

Image005.jpg

Nice!

Shit, was it really cheaper to repair the thing than to buy a new one? Or was it the sentimental value that was important?

Luckily I have a very good mechanic who does things for the love of it (although he said he wouldn't repair a bike from that condition again and if I crash it he'll kill me :D). He put about 100 hours worth of work into it...at a garage that would have cost five grand in labour alone. I paid 450 for the repair work and 400 for the respray.

Can't complain. :)

Can you take motorcycles through the drive thru? Because I was thoroughly pissed the drive thru at Burger King would not serve me on my Bicycle!

Can you take motorcycles through the drive thru? Because I was thoroughly pissed the drive thru at Burger King would not serve me on my Bicycle!

It was probably because you had that goofy painted on stache!

I've done it once. Got some funny looks balancing the stuff on the tank while riding up to the next window, but otherwise no issue. :)

and this strange fault where the throttle cuts out if revved hard...which I first discovered overtaking a learner car, how embarrassing. :rolleyes:
This is a spark plug gaped too wide.

It can get this way over time due to combustion, from resistance building up in wires over time needing a smaller gap, from the distributor getting old. The plug may have been on the verge when installed.

If you close the plug gap just a little, it should fix it.

I like the bike

This is a spark plug gaped too wide.

It can get this way over time due to combustion, from resistance building up in wires over time needing a smaller gap, from the distributor getting old. The plug may have been on the verge when installed.

If you close the plug gap just a little, it should fix it.

Ah, that's really useful. I'll pass that onto my mechanic - thanks.

I like the bike

Cheers. I wish I didn't have to ride it into central London twelve months a year, it's too nice to receive that kind of abuse. :|

It used to be silver - I think it looks a lot nicer now.

Image001-1.jpg

I'm very proud of it anyhow, it looks brand new but it's actually ten years old (well...the registration number is from 1998 anyway, the engine is from a 2002 model).

OM NOM NOM I WANT A BIKE

What's the lowest price I can get a crotchrocket for, here in the States?

OM NOM NOM I WANT A BIKE

What's the lowest price I can get a crotchrocket for, here in the States?

Check ebay etc...you can get one dirt cheap if you go for something a bit older.

I wouldn't recommend getting a sportsbike as your first bike though, it'll all end in tears. Even a standard 500cc streetbike will outrun most sportscars to 60, and a 600cc sportsbike is 2-3 times more powerful and a lot more unforgiving of mistakes. Almost any bike will feel ridiculously fast if you're used to cars.

Riding is infinitely more difficult than driving, there are so many more ways to crash a bike and it's so much easier to do - and when you do crash, the consequences are very severe. Don't take these things lightly.

np.

just make sure the engine is not warmed up when the plug is tampered with. Aluminum threads strip very easily when it is hot.

Nice bike. But why is that red thing blocking the view in some of the pictures?

np.

just make sure the engine is not warmed up when the plug is tampered with. Aluminum threads strip very easily when it is hot.

Will do.

Nice bike. But why is that red thing blocking the view in some of the pictures?

Zing.

Nice, but I wonder if you would ever try to ride one of these?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wn57Zonp71I&feature=related

I prefer bikes that can go round corners. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf0b_kwa6RE

:E

lol I like. But you didn't answer my question.

lol I like. But you didn't answer my question.

If it was on offer, then sure I'd have a go. :)

Nice bike, IMO it looks better than before :thumbs:

Thanks. I'm loving it, it's almost perfect. It just needs a double bubble screen (deflects the windblast upwards, makes a big difference at motorway speeds) and a loud exhaust, but all in good time. :D

Had no work today so I spent the day exploring the Herts/Essex/Cambridgeshire backroads. It was just fantastic. :)

Back