My Portal censored itself!

Reaction score
Yeah, well, it seems I had bad luck in the censorship lottery(I don't live in Germany, though) and I got the german style censored version of the Orange Box. Now, I thought it was tolerable, since I haven't installed episode 2 and dl:'d a fix for the TF gibs to look normal. But suddenly just today when I made my first test map to Portal, it changed all the blood in Portal to black and the ragdolls disappear(my friend's portal map pack features zombies,combines&guns too) which came as a complete surprise because I thought that Portal wasn't censored and I sure know it wasn't two days before.

I tried uninstalling Portal and dl:ing it again from Steam, but the problem persists. Is there anything I can do anymore or am I just buggered now? I love Portal and wouldn't really want it too to fall victim to this disgusting censorship. I'm running Vista and if the solution requires to find Low Violence.cfg, I don't know what to do, since I can't find said file in my Portal folder.

Hrm, I guess it could be a glitch.. I've never read about Portal getting censored in any way, so I don't know..

At the very least, it feels a little more comforting to believe that it's a glitch than conscious censorship.. Well, thanks for responding, though I must still battle this digital beast and bring it down..

I don't know if this would help but have you tried verifying the game cache files?

My friend had the same problem. You must ask Steam Support to fix it for you (it's the only way).

Back