Neotokyo - Two new guns + concept candy [56Ker's beware]

Grey

Reaction score
First the Fujitomo SR31-E. Sniper rifle obviously, bullpup design, barrel runs almost the entire length of the gun - the ultimate in accuracy :).
scout2_montage.jpg

Our concept artist requested a Mac-10-ish design, and here's the result :). 625 refers to the bullet it uses - 6x25mm, small caliber high velocity ammo. A mean little package...
sanjuro625_montage.jpg

Ok here's the candy - first some 'mood' art by pushBAK:
mood_01.jpg

mood_02.jpg

mood_03.jpg

And a character concept of a military-esque hacker by Retleks:
milhacker.jpg

Comments and criticism welcome on everything :)

The concept art is awesome, and I like the fact that you're making up your own guns.

whoa, that is by far, friggan amazing!! Especially your art.

yup the artwork is great

i personally like the fat-suit-guy the most ^^

Heh .. love the SMG; the rifle is pretty much just a rifle tho .. maybe tech it up somehow?

Heh .. after the last thread, all I can say about the mecha suit is huzzah for Landmates - well sorta - it doesn't have replicator arms etc.. but.. ;)

yet again I really ****ing love your work. The 3d models are not that good but I really like your concept. I told u before to contact me about joining your mod but u never seemed to reply. Contact me on msn because i wanna hear something about your idea and how u are wanting your game to play like. I am a mapper btw. Could do some 3d models as well. [email protected]

Thanks for the comments thus far guys :)

@Recoil and Mr Jones: I dunno if that suit design will make it into the mod, but the mood drawings give a good idea on where we're headed.

@Ichi: I dunno how to put this politely. We're very careful about who gets on team. I'm sorry if I missed your post about contacting you. Maybe you should consider contacting http://www.corporationsmod.com or http://www.corporateanarchy.net (two other cyberpunk mods) I think they are looking for modelers/mappers but I'm not sure :).

As to what you don't like about the models could you go into more detail as to why they are "not that good"? I love suggestions :)

hmmmm, your not sure.....I been watching anime for about 4 years. tbh I love it. I am the person who made the tachkoma bot (AI Girl) contact me on msn and i will talk to ya more.

AI_Girl_4_Cell.jpg

[email protected]

The models look pretty good to me, if a little basic. The rifle design itself looks good, but it is very plain. The SMG looks very nice, but it looks very low poly for a weapon going into HL2.

As for the concepts, one word sums up what I think about them. Wow. They have a great sense of form and mood and they come across looking great as a whole.

Originally posted by spin
The SMG looks very nice, but it looks very low poly for a weapon going into HL2.

I hate it when people say this, sorry, you people should all learn from the great Scarecrow....

"Its not how many polies, its what you do with them that count"

just because you've got those extra polies doesnt mean you have to use them....

anywho on topic, those concept pictures are just :rolling:, they are amazing....

the models look pretty good, although i can imagine the magazine getting in the way when holding and when firing the sanjuro 625...

Of course you don't need to use them, I said that myself in a different thread. However, it looks like it's about 800 polygons. That isn't to say that it's not a good model, because it is, it's that it has sharp edges and few details in the areas that need them the most.

maybe the weapon doesnt need detail, looks pretty good to me, and anywho, i'm still going on the assumption that all V models polie counts include the arms as well

the landmate kicks @$$! cool design, would love to see it modelled & skinned with some cammo or stripes/etc.

More Detail != More Better
Depending on the style you're going for, adding more detail can make a model just look cluttered and out of place. If you're going for clean, sharp lines and/or a cell shading effect, those models look great to me. Proportions, texturing, and style are the most important things for good-looking models, not poly-count. Poly-count is just a tool for achieving an artistic vision, it's not an end unto itself.

I agree. If that was the look he was going for, then he pulled it off perfectly. I was simply stating that to me it looks like it could stand a little something in that open area and on the back side. However, all of the weapons I've seen from Grey for NeoTokyo have the same style, so I suppose my comment was unwarranted since it appears that he has a set style and look.

Originally posted by spin
I agree. If that was the look he was going for, then he pulled it off perfectly. I was simply stating that to me it looks like it could stand a little something in that open area and on the back side. However, all of the weapons I've seen from Grey for NeoTokyo have the same style, so I suppose my comment was unwarranted since it appears that he has a set style and look.

now thats a propper C&C not just it looks too low pollie to be a HL2 model...thats what i was after, (sorry for basically spamming your thread Grey, i'll ban my self immediatly for it...)

/me bans self for spamming

Wow hehe. Naw I like getting comments whether positive or negative. So no worries. I actually made an attempt on these weapons to leave space for the skinner. pushBAK started skinning one of the weapons and after seeing his amazing work I thought perhaps I'm putting too much detail in places...

As for the design of Sanjuro 625, thats a good comment Stone. We discussed this and we think it would work in real life for the same reason a thumbhole stock does, if you pretend your holding a gun with your hand, with the first segment of your fingers forward, the outside of your fist and forearm flat in regards to each other there's a natural bow on the inside of your forearm for it to fit. It actually may aid to stablize the gun when firing. Masamune Shirow(Ghost in the Shell) has a few gun designs kinda like this, but in his the mag travels diagonally from the rear of the gun to the bottom of the grip.

I think it'd be cool to have a cnc laser router cutter thingie to test new designs in real life hehe.

The main issue is whether we'll have problems with character models holding the gun and it not clipping.. we'll have to be careful and see I guess.

Like everyone else already said... that concept art is friggin awesome!

Th only thing that jumped out at me with the models was the sharp edges on the rifle. It seems a little off how the prefectly flat sides go to being all smooth underneath. But maybe that's what your future rifle is supposed to look like. It's your design after all.

Everything else is fantastic!

they look very sweet.....
and the fact that its not an m16 and a mac-10 make it even better.....

/me applauds originality...

Originally posted by crabcakes66
they look very sweet.....
and the fact that its not an m16 and a mac-10 make it even better.....

/me applauds originality...

heh, still continuing your crusade against the standard set of weapons?

LOVELY
stuff nice work grey very nice altho it couldnt hurt to but just a lil detail on the sniper textured detail with bump maps will look flat when seen from the angle that the player will be viewing the gun.

I still have to keep coming back to look at the concept art, please put that fat suit guy in the mod! :D

woot. ive been browsing these forums for some time now and i havent made many comments, but i just had to reply to this one.

great job Grey, both models look awesome, and dont worry about the polycount, imo it just adds to the greatness of them :)
the concept art is really good, i like the style of the first pics.

once again good job, im looking forward to playing this mod

Wow that concept art is off the hook, it looks like you guys know what you are doing.

Only question is how are you supposed to hold the submachine gun? It looks like the clip will get in your way.

Dan

hey nice to see some proper C&C dogfaced ;), i asked exactly that...its been explained here....

Originally posted by Grey

As for the design of Sanjuro 625, thats a good comment Stone. We discussed this and we think it would work in real life for the same reason a thumbhole stock does, if you pretend your holding a gun with your hand, with the first segment of your fingers forward, the outside of your fist and forearm flat in regards to each other there's a natural bow on the inside of your forearm for it to fit. It actually may aid to stablize the gun when firing. Masamune Shirow(Ghost in the Shell) has a few gun designs kinda like this, but in his the mag travels diagonally from the rear of the gun to the bottom of the grip.

The rifle looks pretty plain on the side. The sharp edges make it look like it wouldn't actually work very well in real life. The SMG looks pretty good, but it could be a little more round in some areas. I'm not saying that you need to use lots of polies to make a model look good, but you don't need to be that careful with the polies. I mean, I put a 4000 poly weapon with 500 poly hands into Counter-Strike and I didn't have any slowdown. That's quite good considering it's the HL1 engine and I have a 650MHZ P3 + GeForce2. The concept art is great. Tell pushBAK and Retleks that they did a good job.

PS: Oh yea, and I can't help but laugh at that big thing in the second concept. It reminds me of something in Pokémon or Monster Rancher or something.

Thanks for all the feedback!!! :D I'll probably work on the gun models a bit more. Pretty soon, in what 28 days?, I won't be modeling any more for the most part and just coding, what I do best :).

Originally posted by Chimera
heh, still continuing your crusade against the standard set of weapons?

I like originality......

You should try it some time.

Thanks for all the feedback!!! :D I'll probably work on the gun models a bit more. Pretty soon, in what 28 days?, I won't be modeling any more for the most part and just coding, what I do best :).

25 days, 8 hours, 45 minutes to be exact. :dork:

Ok here... if the magazine placed in the rear wouldn't work on our SMG it wouldn't work for the SA80 either... a real gun mind you :)

http://vakuum.mine.nu/reference/files/sa80_5.jpg

If you look, the mag and grip are pretty much the same distance as on our SMG...

You do know how most SMG's work, dont you? Bolt seals chamber (or not, on some), pin hits primer and ignites main charge. The increase in pressure (blowback) forces the bolt back. By the time the bullet has left the barrel the bolt has enough energy to continue all the way back. It ejects the spent casing and then, on the forward movement, scoops a fresh round from the clip, loads it into the chamber and seals the chamber (again, or not, it depends on teh smg).

Whats I'm trying to illustrat is that the bolt has to go behind the clip in order to collect a fresh round from the magazine.

Having a clip at the back of the gun would mean the gun would need a system to transport a bullet from the clip to infront of the bolt, which would no doubt be complicated and prone to jamming and expensive to manufacture (and unlikey to be used by anyone), or your weapon is complete fantasy and you can ignore everything I just said.

Either of these two options are perfectly valid.

The SA80 works because the bolt can get to behind the magazine.

^^ nice observation

Oh heck, that's no problem. Just select the clip polys and translate along the x axis! Instant gun-fixins! :p

Although, it would be fun to see some kind of crazy chambering mechanizim animated in-game. Maybe like a luger, whre it swings up over the top of the gun. Or maybe it just goes straight back and hits people in the face who try to use the sights.

Originally posted by ductonius
You do know how most SMG's work, dont you? ...

The SA80 works because the bolt can get to behind the magazine.

ductonius you did read the thread right? If you did you misunderstood it. We're not talking about the mechanics of a pullpup gun. We talking about the ergonomics of the gun...

All that aside you do have some good points.

Back