New computer - same problem! Driving me insane

Which cpu to get is all up to your budget, the higher the better, like the one eraser has.

The E6600 is about the most you want to spend on a cpu. Any higher and the performance increase isn't worth the money at all.

I'm getting an e6300 with an Asus P5B Deluxe mainboard. I plan to overclock it atleast 80% (3500mhz should be ace). That's a lot of bang for the buck.

far out, what are you going to use as cooling? I am getting a different mother board now - Asus 945P LGA775 - it's not SLI but it's a sweet little board (by the looks of things) and the only thing it seems to lack is firewire which I don't give a crap about coz I have never used firewire in my life lol

Core 2 Duo overclock

check this out.

it's got the potential of a loaded gun :)

funny in the games benchmarks though it only got good FPS improvements in some games like Quake 4 (due to the dual-core patch no doubt)

if your having an extreme FPS problem uninstall NVIDIA ForceWare, I'm not kidding.
That has to be one of the stupidist "tech" suggestions I have seen in a long time. Remove your GFX card drivers to make it go better? What a tool.

far out, what are you going to use as cooling?

Arctic Freezer 7 pro.

Make sure your motherboard supports Core 2 Duo specifically. Not all 775 socket mainboards support the new processors. You only mentioned the chipset so I can't find out.

I'm getting the Asus P5B Deluxe because it's very good for overclocking. It's based on the 965P chipset (best chipset for Core 2 Duo). It's pretty expensive though. If you don't plan on massive overclocking, I wouldn't recommend it.

That has to be one of the stupidist "tech" suggestions I have seen in a long time. Remove your GFX card drivers to make it go better? What a tool.

LOL! :thumbs: :LOL:

Make sure your motherboard supports Core 2 Duo specifically. Not all 775 socket mainboards support the new processors. You only mentioned the chipset so I can't find out.

Yup sorry, on my suppliers website it says:

Asus945P LGA775 1066FSB DDR2 667 PCIEX16
GBLAN RAID Core2Duo P5LD2 /C Green

- Asus P5LD2 Intel 945P LGA775 ATX 1066FSB Pentium D DDR2 667 PCIEX16 GBLAN RAID
- Intel LGA775 Pentium 4 CPU and Dual-Core CPU Ready
- Intel 945P chipset
- FSB 1066/800/533
- DDR2 667/533/400
- Marvell PCIe Gbit LAN
- WiFi-TV (Optional)

Make sense? I'm pretty sure it supports Core 2 Duo... I mean I talked to my sales lady directly lol... and surely she would tell me that the motherboard and processor I am ordering do not work together lol

Blame NVidia.

Why? If you have an issue with new drivers, just roll back to the last ones that worked properly. It's not rocket science.

I'd rather blame the 'tard who thinks things run better with no drivers at all.

sweet! COmputer is all built now with the new parts and I am a happy man.

I get around 35fps now at that same scene... which doesn't seem that much of an increase but the rest of the game runs just so much smoother and faster! I can really tell the difference in speeds going from the amd to the core 2 duo... just everything XP runs faster and yeah w00t it's sweet.

I got a big increase in the video stress test so that was great to. And there is much overclocking to be done haha

question - I ran the vid stress test in HL:LC and got 116fps average with AA and AF off, then I ran it with AA and AF on max and got 112... howcome everyone says it kills your frame rate and it only droped 4fps for me? just wondering :)

w00t! :cheers:

i'm not bothering to read this whole thread. have you tried closing down other programs running? i've heard anti-virus stuff can really jack your system performance.

i'm not bothering to read this whole thread. have you tried closing down other programs running? i've heard anti-virus stuff can really jack your system performance.

Hey man, yeah we have sort of tried everything aye - it's been really helpful.

:cheese:

Back