New difficulty level possibly in ep2

Yeah, and I was wondering how to do that... if you grab them with the grav gun, they don't always snap into position, which confused me the first time around, but if you grab with 'e', they snap into position at once.

Really? AWESOME.

REPLAYABILITY HERE I COME.

i just barricaded myself in the room with the smg ammo crate and put barrels in front of the turrets and just put the turrets up when they fall. i got through it all without shooting a single combine and just killing the manhacks

a good challenge is beating the game with a crowbar.

very fun to use in Ravenholm. In Ep.1 it's fun to use the grav gun + brick :p.
And the first time to beat that turret part was HARD, damn nades was the worst of it.

First post, long time lurker. Frustrated with the not-so-very-hard hard difficulty in half life 2 and episode 1, I sent an email to gabe. It read:

I have completed 40-45 playthroughs of Half Life 2 (I lost count recently). Now anything associated with that game, whether it be mod or episode, is simply too easy. Because of this, the reduction of difficulty on the Episode 1 elevator battle made me quite disgruntled. In a last effort to make the game harder, I did a playthrough without losing a point of health (using lots of quicksaves). But even that was surprisingly easy. Is there a chance of ever getting a difficulty higher than hard, or will I have to rely on mods?

Robin Walker responded with this:

Actually, we're pretty unhappy with our Hard setting. On Ep1 we started working on a harder-than-hard difficulty setting, but ran out of time to get it finished. I'm hoping the Ep2 folks can finish it up. Once it goes in, it'll be backwards compatible, so you'll be able to go back and play HL2 / Ep1 with it as well. Hopefully that'll provide you with more of a challenge.

Robin.

So it looks like theres a good chance of getting a harder than hard difficulty in ep2. Didn't think this was really known, did a search and i apologize if I missed it. Just thought it'd be a nice thing to know if you are bored with the hard difficulty.

No offense, but 45+ times playtrough isnt asmuch "fan mania" as it is sad... so sad...

i was inside all day ony my comp doing work, but i have a good reason. I'd rather be outside doing something else.

Wha are you doing playing hl2 45 times!? get some excersise, ride a bike, do something else.

Although I realize going from start-finish so many times (now up to 56) is a bit odd, I am not some lifeless fat nerd. I simply have no other highly entertaining games. I am outside constantly and exercise alot. I can get through the game in about 5 hours going casually now so it doesn't take a whole lot of time out of the day. What's scary is when I complete it 3 times in a day... but that is extremely rare.

...56 times?

I've only gone through fully 3 times. That said, when I'm bored I'll just load up a chapter.

Outside? Doing stuff? That's what work is for! Cup of tea and telly/book/comp is for time off :)

I've finished it 3 times. Yay me!

I've done it four or five times.

How do you endure playing the same thing over and over? I mean, I complete a playthrough of HL2, gets satisfied, and then runs off to occupy myself with another game of mine.

Games bore me after I play too long, which is sad. >:3

Well part of my obsession was my quest to become the most experienced HL2 player at singleplayer. I was bored one day and thought of setting what could possibly be an unofficial world record for playing HL2. That, and for some reason, it simply fails to bore me. It is pretty scary that I can now play the entire game in my head and know where every enemy and powerup is. I am greatly hoping for improved AI in episode 2 since it isn't how many bullets I must put into a combine that makes it so easy for me now, but the tactics I know work against certain enemies.

Actually, we're pretty unhappy with our Hard setting. On Ep1 we started working on a harder-than-hard difficulty setting, but ran out of time to get it finished. I'm hoping the Ep2 folks can finish it up. Once it goes in, it'll be backwards compatible, so you'll be able to go back and play HL2 / Ep1 with it as well. Hopefully that'll provide you with more of a challenge.

Robin

Excellent news. HL2 has always been far to easy even on HARD. Episode 1 was more difficult which was very welcome. But I'm still looking for moew of a challenge. Episode 2 looks liek it will offer this as is but even so a harder setting will give the whole series some reply value for those looking for a challenge.

Saying that it has to be well balanced. If harder just means everything takes longer to kill ..... That's bad! What I'd really like to see is a weapon that does more damage but with a slower rate of fire, A new rifle maybe, making enemies easier to kill but crucially you can be killed much quicker also. Something somewhere between HL2 & Counter Strike is what I'm thinking. I think that will promote more realistic combat because you will need to be more accurate to take down enemies quicker. You will also have to make better use of cover so that your not gunned down equally as quick!

I've played HL2 9 or 10 times so far. But yea, I'd have to agree, Hard is pitifully easy.

oh yes, just beat hl2 on hard again.. pretty easy... was like my 6th or 7th gothrough...

i read somewhere that someone had problems with the scene in nova prospect where u have to set up those 3 turrets and soldiers coming from those 4 gates..
you can make it trough that on hard without even loosing 1 healthpoint and without even reloading 1 clip :) :
just put obstacles before the gates so that the soldiers cannot enter, positrion the turrets at diffrent places so that they cannot be blown off by 1 grenade... then just wait until alyx comes!

I dunno about Half Life 2, but I have played through Episode 1 about 15 times on different difficulties. It's one of the few games I have trouble losing interest in, just cause quite a few different things happen every time I play through it.

Back