New DoD picture.

B

Brian

DoD.jpg

The person that originally posted this screenshot had this to say.

Toxic said:
Anyways, that pic was grabbed off of a dev's (Tim 'Waldo' Holt) powerpoint presentation ... he was speaking at some function today. It's not some airbrushed, fawned over screenshot ... just an early look at DoD.

Yeah i hope that's very early. Still looks exactly like the half-life 1 engine...crap.

That's gotta be pretty old, like one of the first test shots :p

Eh? Looks priddy nice to me. Hell if HL:s had that much of a change I'd piss my pants. Sure Dod:s doesn't look as good as cs:s, but like I said, looks nice to me.

It dose look alot better, but I guess you can't please all the people all the time :upstare:

Its gotta be an early screenshot. Remember some of those HL2 pics that came out before E3 2004? Compare those screenshots, to the ones from Pc Gamer, and they look TOTALLY different.

anyway, the DoD guys said they were remaking all the artwork and shit so i'd expect it to look just as good, if not better than, CS:S

I guess I need a screenshot of a grenade explosion in caen to be excited about DoD:S. :imu:

that seriously looks like crap and I can't help but feel a lot less excited for DoD:S.

maybe i'm not seeing the crap...

i like dod for the gameplay anyways.

Looks fine to me, I dont really care about dods anyways, I'll start playing it when there are alot of servers, right now my fav server im allmost allways on is on dod, not dods.

The Map - (at least that part) - a HELL lot better
The Textures - A HELL lot better

The things that brings dod:s down (ON THIS SCREENSHOT) is the Weapon model (which is the current dod M1 Garand.)

(and the lack of quality in this pic (blurry etc.)

Give them time to go through the port. And remember that they arent planning to put in as much of a makeover as CS got. There team is like 10 times smaller, its more of a port than a complete redesign. If you look at it that way you will be happily surprised for every screenshot that is released.

For a start, DOD:S is not finished yet, ALSO, as said in the original dod:S interview, the first stage of creating the source ports was to completely port all the old material to the new engine, then rework everything that needs reworking, including (as they said) redesigned models, higher quality maps etc.

The whole purpose of the source ports is to show the already established modding community that they have a much better engine to work on, Once the SDK is released, custom weapon models and maps will flow out from people with more time on there hands to reach the higher levels of quality the engine is capable of.

And then some of this and valves own content can be added whenever they like via steam, and i find source has a much better sense of general depth to its rendering than most other engines ive seen, and even a direct port would be worth it, just give it time dudes!

I agree that that is nothing more then an early test shot of DoD:S just to prove to others that it is in fact real, and that the process to create it has begun and is in full force.

figge said it all. you guys are just so goddamn picky and annoying jesus h christ. it already looks 500 times better than normal dod, and its still very early in production.

What the Hell is wrong with you people? It looks sweet!

Dogmatic said:
Sweet? Looks like HL1 to me.

Ill admit it doesnt look that amazing, but its certainly not your tainted memory quality.

DoD2.jpg

Now tell me it looks like hl1.

Hopefully they'll change the weapon models

They should have put more effort in this than in CS:S

it looks very good for its early development. hell, it would look good if they released it now. people who are whining about it being ugly are honestly just stupid.

they probably would have, but you know since 9/11 the world is a different place.

Jakeic said:
they probably would have, but you know since 9/11 the world is a different place.
What the bloody Hell are you talking about?

ok I'll take a wild guess that

Jakeic said:

is a reply to

BRODIEMAN2k4 said:
Hopefully they'll change the weapon models

They should have put more effort in this than in CS:S

who gives a shit what it looks like, it's all about the gameplay man.

i Love dod's gameplay regardless of what it looks like.

I never played DOD but that pic looks nice in graphics

looks like its a redone map in the HL1 engine, however it is probably a very early shot, and DOD:S is going to have all the content redone (according to the FAQ: http://www.dayofdefeat.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=39444 )

so I assume it might look a smidge more impressive once they really roll into developement with it.

yeah the room is definately shaping up to look kickass, but is obviously in no way near completion.

I love it :) Hell, I love everything about DoD at the moment except for hitboxes and 12yr olds + SMG's, but the negativity surrounding DoD:S in this place is really starting to piss me off.

"Oh that looks liek teh poo...I hatz0rz DoD now :'("

Superficial nonsense like that gets old fast. The dev team have been working on CS:S and HL2, that's why DoD:S isn't at the CS:S stage yet. You people should know that by now because the Q&A thread link has been posted so many times now.

Forgive my little rant :(

leadfish said:
The dev team have been working on CS:S and HL2, that's why DoD:S isn't at the CS:S stage yet. You people should know that by now because the Q&A thread link has been posted so many times now.

Forgive my little rant :(

I was going to bring that up too, but I think your rant is in vain.. most people in the thread liked the pic.

this was a leaked DOD:S pic to begin with.. so people shouldn't expect anything.. it could have been merely to show off the light+dust effect, or something.

I wonder what the presentation entailed.

can you guys imagine DOD, with like realistic models, high res textures, physics etc?
man what a ball.. I wish that DOD:S was the hl2 mp component over CS:S

It looks 10x better to me, and GamePlay, as stated before, is more important to me.

Wow you guys... It's pretty much the second screenshot we've seen, don't be so quick to judge.

well if its all about the gameplay why dont you stay on DOD 1.3??? the only update i can see in DOD:s is a graphics update, so whats the point? really?

unless you count prop physics as a gameplay update, look how that went in cs:s though. its useless.

it honestly looks ****ing excellent for an early shot, by this early powertpoint presentation screenshot we know for sure that maps are being re-done (and I am thankful for that)

sure the geometry could stand with some improvement, the models need to be redone but you have to remember that the dod team has had hl2 as their focus.. not dod... now that hl2 is gold and almost out the door we can expect them to put their effort into dod:S, personally I cant wait for any re-iteration of dod.... cant wait to see what they do with it (and even if they did nothing to it, it still would be pretty cool to play dod in the source engine.....

Mr. Redundant said:
sure the geometry could stand with some improvement....

It just come off funny to me as the geometry in CS:S isn't any better at lest not on my card, any barrel can prove that. Those archways are about as smooth as any in CS:S.

Back