New DooM III Screenshot

Meh, Doom3... Interesting technology, but I don't like games that are like:

*Player walks through a narrow hallway, suddenly a monster jumps him*
Player: whu?AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!1 *kills monster dead*
Player: Oh yeah baby! I just shit my pants again! I lub this game!!

Originally posted by theGreenBunny
Meh, Doom3... Interesting technology, but I don't like games that are like:

*Player walks through a narrow hallway, suddenly a monster jumps him*
Player: whu?AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!1 *kills monster dead*
Player: Oh yeah baby! I just shit my pants again! I lub this game!!

You just described every FPS ever created. Including HL.

Originally posted by Tredoslop
Why'dya post this thrice/twice?
Sorry about that, I was trying to start a new page in this thread so that my post would be seen by more people. :D

Originally posted by Yatta
Sorry about that, I was trying to start a new page in this thread so that my post would be seen by more people. :D

LOL

Thanks for the info.

And Tredoslop, what about when aliens hid behind vending machines and teleported behind you and stuff. It was meant to suprise and startle, just like any other game.

He was talking to me :)

There's a difference between surprising/startling the player every now and then and continuously freaking the player out. That's how I see it anyway.

Originally posted by manny_c44
Thanks for the info.

And Tredoslop, what about when aliens hid behind vending machines and teleported behind you and stuff. It was meant to suprise and startle, just like any other game.
Talking to you?

Yeah, we are discussing whether HL is a horror game or not, he apparently thought you were me when he wrote that.

Oh yeah sorry.

Tredoslop should know by now that I don't talk to thirteen year-olds.

Oh yeah sorry.

Tredoslop should know by now that I don't talk to thirteen year-olds.

add him to your ignore list, he's been on mine for weeks now with all the other spammers here : )

I was referring to the comical thread posted by Tredoslop in a jocular fashion. I'm sure he knew that, maybe you just need to calm down...eat some cheese or something.

D3 looks plastic.

Yes, I've played the alpha, unimpressed, but hey, it was an ALPHA...

been watching it ever since...the closer I watch, the less I want it.

Originally posted by Tredoslop
Why is everybody saying that Doom 3 looks plastic?
Am I missing something?

Its because alot of the enemies in the game are very shiny. Namely the enemies with the one tentacle arm and the minigun with the glowing eyes you may have seen in screens. The alpha also seemed inordinately bright to me when it came to the actual enemies on screen.

Originally posted by rec
The only thing Doom 3 has going for itself is the lighting technology, in general, the game is damn ugly. Sure super-high poly models, but the textures always looked stretched or of low quality, and their excessive use of reflections and bump mapping make everything look like plastic.

You can get rid of the plastic in-game (in the alpha at least), and there is also a pretty good physics engine in the game. If you've played the alpha then you might remember the swinging light in the third level, which swings realistically when you shoot it, and the zombie's body which you can move around and play around with.

To go along with physic tidbits you can shoot that panel at the beginning of level 2 and it clatters to the ground in a very realistic fashion. Boxes on shelves move around realistically. Don't forget the flashlight, where you can see the games realistic shadows put to good use.

But how do you get rid of the plastic Nith Sahor?

Just go into the console and type /r_specular 0 . This turns off the specular effects, so things look a tad less fancy, but it gets rid of the plastic effect and it gives you a nice boost in FPS too.

Its because alot of the enemies in the game are very shiny. Namely the enemies with the one tentacle arm and the minigun with the glowing eyes you may have seen in screens. The alpha also seemed inordinately bright to me when it came to the actual enemies on screen.
Ever heard of plastic surgery? Or did you just think that looking so good for such a dang long time was just natural?

well what you guys dont know is that, that is actually a video at 0.01 fps LOL

SheepFactory sent em. Ok. Sayam. The recommeneded sys for it is rumoured to be about 1Ghz, with a GeForce 2. I really get rather annoyed by people who just don't like the game, and therefore just say stupid comments.

Yay, we saw another screenie, and the caption says something that would've been cool to learn by yourself. But no, they had to tell it. I don't like hype articles... even HL2 ones. They're so stupid.

This game looks awsome, other than HL2, doom 3 is the gae im most looking foward to.

Originally posted by mrBadger
SheepFactory sent em. Ok. Sayam. The recommeneded sys for it is rumoured to be about 1Ghz, with a GeForce 2.
Isn't that the min?

Yea, thats the minimum. Carmack released the minimum requirements before quakecon...

"1GHz CPU, 256MB RAM, GF1 or Radeon 7xxx series card."

You'd be crazy to play Doom 3 with a GeForce 1 card. I tried with a TNT card and... it was horrible.

Originally posted by Nith Sahor
You'd be crazy to play Doom 3 with a GeForce 1 card. I tried with a TNT card and... it was horrible.

The final game will run alot smoother than the alpha, granted a Geforce will prbably choke and die on the game, but I think hgigher end GeForce 3 and GeForce 4 cards will probably be able to handle the game at 6x4 resolution with details on high (like the alpha).

I hope so, even my Geforce 4 460 Go card has trouble running the alpha with both specularity and shadows on. Granted, it is a laptop video card, but still... that's why it's there!

Originally posted by dfc05
oh i remember that... i hated those guys...and the ones that looked kinda similar but did the fire thing

how did doomII end, by the way? i totally forgot...i don't think i even figured out how to beat the last level... (which has nothing to do with doom3, sorry)

shoot rockets at the head on a stick

Doom II's ending? well all I remember was that last map where you could boost up on ammo and health before teleporting in front of a huge demonic face "painted" on the wall (was meant to be alive...) and every single demon from the game spawned left and right on these platforms. You had to reach the top platform to activate a switch that lowered this elevator located in the lava... then you had to shoot rockets at the beast. I don't remember what exactly was the ending but I think it mentioned something along the lines of escaping with other humans aboard star cruisers.

Back