New E32004 Bink

I don't have enough free bandwith right now to download this bink, but could someone answer this question? Is the shadow bug still there? I ask because I doubt it will be fixed, due to the difficulty of projecting dynamic shadows onto moving entities...

f0rked said:
I don't have enough free bandwith right now to download this bink, but could someone answer this question? Is the shadow bug still there? I ask because I doubt it will be fixed, due to the difficulty of projecting dynamic shadows onto moving entities...

yes..................... :cool:

Hmm....my thoughts on the guy getting picked up - Either it's a horribly animated death animation, or he did get picked up.... Though I'm thinking I would go with the former...I don't know...

DarkSonic said:
Hmm....my thoughts on the guy getting picked up - Either it's a horribly animated death animation, or he did get picked up.... Though I'm thinking I would go with the former...I don't know...
There are no death animations, it was the physics at work.

Meh, tis right, I'm so studid. Heh....

Then...I don't know. It looks like the guy just pops onto the thing, no movement towards it at all...

That was really unimpressive. Wow. Valve needs to get this game out, now. Binks aint cutting it anymore. I need to be playing the game myself or it just doesnt get exciting.

I'd like to thank Gorgon for posting the entire BINK in screenshot form. You just need to make a gif out of them and you don't need to download the BINK.

Guinny, I'd suggest you stop actively waiting for the game if BINK videos no longer interest you, it'll get to the point where the game won't interest you.

Just noticed that the Combine atop the tower tried to shoot Gordon's rocket down as it was travelling towards him. This game just keeps on impressing me :)

Feath said:
Guinny, I'd suggest you stop actively waiting for the game if BINK videos no longer interest you, it'll get to the point where the game won't interest you.
Agreed, you're just killing the experience for yourself.

Cool. New bink.

Are there any scenes from e3 that we are still waiting for in Bink form? Im sure HL2 wont be released until they're all out.

I haven't hyped the game for myself at all or anything. I just follow along like anyone else. It's just, maybe cuz I've seen that scene already 5000 times, and just seeing it in a higher res just didnt do anything for me?

cool, thanks!

binks are signs of the end of time!

weeeee
which would make doug lombardi the antichrist..

BTW Were those Northern Petrol signs atop the warehouse in the shaky cam vid? never did notice those.. :bounce:

they have been there for a long time...

btw, what are those letters on? it seems like they are floating!

Nevermind, I watched it again and actually payed attention (was on the phone last time), it gave me a hard on. So yayy new bink kicks ass. :D

It upped my HL2 hype by at least the double, the soldier AI seems to be great, the way the first one fired his shotgun against the ant lions and the wonderful revolver. :D

the guy is not killed by the magnet...it's a scripted trigger, first killing him and then pushing him up to make it look like the magnet killed him...
thats my theory

it looks like he's pulled towards the magnet gets smashed into it and falls to his death...very simple. stop reading into this everyone its not that big a deal and it looks good unless u play it frame by frame(in which case you need a life)

when your holding onto a metalic gun, yes it will, and when u smash into the magnet because you didnt let go, your going to let go, and your going to fall.

The combine does not get pulled into the magnet. He is clearly crushed by it as it decends and then he "bounces" somewhat. Probably due to the physics engine and the fact that combines are made out of superballs.

The death-bounce by the combine soldier (combinear ;)) is most likely the opposing force from the huge force applied to him from the wieght of the magnet, just a theory. Besides, we won't have totally life-like physics in games just yet. The physics in HL2 will rock, even though they will be the cause of some weird situations, I just hope we miss out on the floating scientist à la FarCry :E

CoreyGH said:
The combine does not get pulled into the magnet. He is clearly crushed by it as it decends and then he "bounces" somewhat. Probably due to the physics engine and the fact that combines are made out of superballs.
Most likely.

maybe its just a bug that is going to be worked out. this video was obviously done with bugs intact, eg. double shadow. i read on HL2world that they fixed the shadow bug. so they may just need to fix this one aswell

Or how about that was from e3 2k4, and since then have been doing nothing but fixing bugs according to valve. And we havent seen any video footage of the latest version with whatever dozens of bugs theyve fixed, so how about we just wait for the actual game to decide. Which im sure, while we're playing it, wont be judging it in a frame by frame style, unless your comp sucks that much and your playing at 1fps, then you have no choice. ;)

after watching the bug fight in the bink, i think a starship troopers mod would be kick ass. based more on the novel than the movies obviously, :farmer:

I don't care how the combine was killed by the magnet or if some physics equation applied to him. It just looks cool, and that's good enough for me

FoB_Ed said:
I don't care how the combine was killed by the magnet or if some physics equation applied to him. It just looks cool, and that's good enough for me

quoted for immense emphasis.

Awesome video - the best yet, next to Traptown, in my opinion. The graphics quality doesn't impress me as much as the others for some reason, though, but the gameplay looks stellar.

And frankly, who cares about that shadow problem? And the magnet picking up the combine may not be that realistic, but neither is a gun that can pick up boxes or a guy being hit by a rocket and flying across the coast. It's just cool.

the bink is the same material from e3, that's why the shadow bug is still there, however, a guy how playtested half of the game told me they had fixed that bug

Hmm.. I'm getting 70 kbs steady with BT. I can't wait to watch it.

Now release the rollermine video already!

Narcolepsy said:
And frankly, who cares about that shadow problem?

according to someone who playtested the game at hl2world, they corrected the shadow problem :cool:

Its still present in CSS which supposedly represents the latest engine build, (within a week anyway) i think people need to accept it as a bug present with DX9 soft shadows, not just Source, Doom3 DX2 Far Cry etc do not use DX9 soft shadows they use stencil based and other forms of dynamic shadows, which ultimate take up resources which Source is using in other areas, dont expect to see it fixed, your just gonna have to get over it, like most people, if your lucky a better method of dynamic shadows may be added to source eventully.. maybe.

Also this is my favorite video so far I was VERY IMPRESSED and almost cried because of overwhelming joy.

wow im getting 120 KB/s download and am only at 60 KB/s upload (my max). Thanks to all of you keeping your dl windows open! I know I will too. :)

Back