New HiT-SQUAD Media Released

M

Mailman

Our modeler Chimera has chosen to show off a work in progress of his player model. This shot shows off a fully textured and normal mapped head. Normal mapping allows low polygon models to appear high poly on video cards that support shaders.

Click the picture below for a larger version:

We also have a short video clip showing off the face with a moving light source.

Click here for the video.

This video requires the DivX 5.05 codec.

In addition we are looking for an extra modeler and skinner. If you are interested, please email examples of your work to [email protected]

ya, his lips are a bit un-natural
aswell, i take in consideration he is old? with the wrinkless on his head, dunno anyone with that outstanding wrinkles, but i'll accept it ;)

nice... :farmer:
For some reason, I think this character would look really cool with a hat.

jsut a note... normal maps aren't supported in HL2, grayscale height maps are, but not normal maps. sorry.

Looks relly good but i think the wrinkles in his forhead should be removed.

Here's an updated shot taken in Modeler of the low-poly version without normal mapping (vertex shaded).

That looks 10000000000 times better (probably cos his face is in a different expression)

Originally posted by SidewinderX143
jsut a note... normal maps aren't supported in HL2, grayscale height maps are, but not normal maps. sorry.

What do you mean by normal maps? And how do you know thye are not supported?

Originally posted by SidewinderX143
looks great, eyes looked screwed tho.

That's because Modeler doesn't do openGL transparency all that well. And you might notice that the eyes are sticking out through is lower lids... I might need to work on that one.

i have a question, is the high reso version modeled in quads? Because if you dont, you will get wierd stuff like I see on the high reso wireframe. you must only work with quads and I suggest a good facial muscle anatomy book or refrence material (fineart.sk)

Yeah. I think you better wait with faces and the like untill the hl2 sdk is out so you know how to do those things and what needs to be done and how tyou need to model the 40 face muscles :)

Yes I understand all about the importance of quads. I've been working with Lightwave for several years now. What you see are a few triangles that got away from me that got subdivided many times when I froze the subpatched face.

And I didn't bother with the face muscles at this point seeing as we don't know how they are going to handle the face animations.

Back