New HL2 Video

Originally posted by Xtasy0
the video will be released at 16:00 PST August 12th, right now it's 04:33 PST August 12th.

so you see, you have much time to wait.

[edit]

arent timezones fun!!!!!!!

im lost :x

okay this might be a silly question, but I'm dying to know what PST stands for ?

Yeah lucky me I live in Eastern US..
So I get to go out today and watch the video at night

Originally posted by spitcodfry
Head on over to the 3d Realms forums and take a gander at the posts on the DNF page. Considering those fans have stuck to the boards for well over five years in anticipation for ANYTHING new, they're pretty mature and patient compared to you.
Replace the words "mature" and "patient" with "neglected" and "desperate" :p
Takes commitment and blind faith to stick by a game like that. Surely there can't be many threads other than "Where the fux0rs is DNF!?!?!1" or some such gubbins. Lord only knows what 3dR's up to.
But I see your point and concur - too many people here are so gasping for media... It's not new people, we've all seen it. Sure it's nice that it's in spangly 1024X768, but nothing to get a hernia over. When new media comes out, THEN we can get excited to the point of anneurisms with better reason.
It speaks volumes that old media is so highly anticipated and then nit-picked to the point where people hate the video, the glitches, Valve and each other with a vitriol that's almost impressive.

I'm sure the Barney Vid will be great, I'm just hoping that they'll release the dune buggy one by the end of the of the week, instead of waiting a week...

It won't be on teh intarweb until after the video is actually released, which should be easy to determine because everyone will be posting comments about the video on the forums.

there has to be a way to fool steam into loading the movie out of cache early....

You could brute force crack it, should take you about 3 years on a duel 3.2 ghz system.

Brink: you don't have the entire movie on your HD yet. Some of it has already been preloaded, the rest will follow at stated time.

Im in Europe (Central Europeean Time) and now it's 5PM here, I'll have to wait until 1AM to get the movie (PST=UTC-8,CET=UTC+1,4PM PST+9=1AM CET) grrrrrrm. And I'm not sure that is correct with dailight saving time and all that shit, very confusing. I've stared at a world map with time-zones indicated on it for more than 10 minutes to come to my conclusion :D

Originally posted by schweppes
You could brute force crack it, should take you about 3 years on a duel 3.2 ghz system.

Probably more like 1,000 years. And I think it would be a better idea to try and h4x0r what type of commands Steam uses.. like if there is an unlockfile() function that the Steam server sends to clients to unlock files from the cache. Then you could write something to emulate that. However if they are sending different keys to unlock different files that are encrypted, then I'm afraid we are screwed :X

Originally posted by Ro@cH
Im in Europe (Central Europeean Time) and now it's 5PM here, I'll have to wait until 1AM to get the movie (PST=UTC-8,CET=UTC+1,4PM PST+9=1AM CET) grrrrrrm. And I'm not sure that is correct with dailight saving time and all that shit, very confusing. I've stared at a world map with time-zones indicated on it for more than 10 minutes to come to my conclusion :D

I'm pretty sure it is Midnight GMT. So yea, if you are +1, you should get the movie at 1am :)

http://www.timeanddate.com/

Oh wait, if you look up Seattle, Washington (which is the same timezone as Valve) it says:
Standard time zone: UTC/GMT -8 hours
Daylight saving time: +1 hour
Current time zone offset: UTC/GMT -7 hours

So damned if I know.. lol Damn daylight savings time :rolling:

Originally posted by Slash
I'm pretty sure it is Midnight GMT. So yea, if you are +1, you should get the movie at 1am :)

http://www.timeanddate.com/

Oh wait, if you look up Seattle, Washington (which is the same timezone as Valve) it says:
Standard time zone: UTC/GMT -8 hours
Daylight saving time: +1 hour
Current time zone offset: UTC/GMT -7 hours

So damned if I know.. lol Damn daylight savings time :rolling:

LOL. Yeah. I personally am looking forward to this one. But, that's what I said about the last one too. :upstare:

Originally posted by Ro@cH
Brink: you don't have the entire movie on your HD yet. Some of it has already been preloaded, the rest will follow at stated time.

that is incorrect, we have the entire movie, but it's encrypted, today at 16:00PST valve will send out the decryption key and steam will decrypt it for us and then we can view it.

Originally posted by spitcodfry
We all know that Valve will deliver in the end, for they always have.

Delays, delays, delays.

Valve has lost alot of my respect.

Why promise what they cant deliver? I just pisses off the fans.

well i'm not pissed off... just find something else to do until the vid's unlocked.

Since when is a release date a promise????

Some of you guys need to grow up. So what if it MAY be delayed. That's how the real world operates - not everything gets done on time, and other problems arise, exacerbating the whole thing.

Is anyone here from the PST Timezone? If so tell us what the time is exactly over there, and then using the post time, everyone can work out when the movie will come out in their time.

Yeah, I heard rumors that there is actually a leaked tech demo, but I beat it's just a bunch of BS!

Oh, sorry if I was wrong about the downloading/decription thing, I must have read that somewhere and then thought it was the truth. Was trying to help :)

Anyway, I've also come to the conclusion that during daylight savings time, PST (Pacific Standard Time) doesn't exist, so in fact the announcement that the release was at 4PM PST should have stated 4PM PDT (Pacific Daylight Time) as that is what it's called during the summer. why can't people use UMT when they announce things on teh interweb? Just say "we will release it at blahblah PDT (blehbleh UMT)", and everybody is happy.

<mad scientist>If my calculations are correct</mad scientist> I'll be seeing the movie in 4hrs and 15 minutes.!!

Originally posted by -*Mi6*-Mr_Matt
Is anyone here from the PST Timezone? If so tell us what the time is exactly over there, and then using the post time, everyone can work out when the movie will come out in their time.

Right now it is August 12th, 12:13PM exactly

Try and be a little more patient.. worst case scenario it gets delayed for another week because someone else is having a baby

well... i doubt it will be out exactly at 4pm pst..
give em some minutes/hours to hit the enter button or whatever...
personally im looking forward to the games convention here in germany in 2 weeks...
hl2 will be shown there. heard rumours that there will be new footage maybe...
hopefully a playable part too... would be great..

Originally posted by Malic
well... i doubt it will be out exactly at 4pm pst..
give em some minutes/hours to hit the enter button or whatever...
personally im looking forward to the games convention here in germany in 2 weeks...
hl2 will be shown there. heard rumours that there will be new footage maybe...
hopefully a playable part too... would be great..

no and no

hl2 will definetely be shown there. how can you say no.
maybe there will be new footage.. ever1 saw the movies from e3
so why come to gc with old footage.. this will be their european marketing campaign. i have my fingers crossed. :cheers:

i think hes talkin about the dude who goes flying after gordon throws a nade in his direction and hits the ground hard near the player

2 combine are hiding behind a table, gordon is behind a car
gordon throws a grenade, it goes off and a combine goes flying in the air and lands on the car you are behing, and tumbles off it

its awesome

anyone know any bink tools so i can slomo that part?

Back