New mod concept, based on 3rd person helicopter gameplay

Billtcm

Reaction score
Hey guys I've been thinking of starting a mod, but before I get into it too much I wanted to know what you guys think. It would be based on the gameplay of the "Strike" series made by EA in the 90's.

Here is a link to a sheet of all "Strike" games, includes tons of pictures
http://www.mobygames.com/game_group/sheet/gameGroupId,134/

If some of you aren't familiar with it, it's pretty much a 3rd person view(like a top/side view) of a helicopter where you fly around a somewhat large plane of land and accomplish missions dealing with rescuing people, blowing things up, and making sure you don't die b/c you run out of fuel(there is much more to the game of course). This would be a singeplayer mod with a number of levels (I don't know how many levels as of now, perhaps a few at first to see what people think) and would add many more features using the source engine. Some features would be switching vehicles, tons of soldiers(maybe 100's onscreen) fighting with you as their air support, defending and attacking bases, and I could list more stuff but I think you get the point. The reason I said 100's of soldiers is b/c poly count for models would be cut down to like 500 or maybe 200 per soldier since the gameplay wouldn't be of an fps. Anyhow I've always worked for mod teams before and I thought I'd try starting one, so tell me what you think. Thanks

No everything would be 3d, but the original was 2d. Sorry if that confused you at all.

It might be nice if you could do an option for first person, third person, or overhead views.

I like the concept. Looking at the screenshots reminds me of my childhood.

Go for fixed 3D isometric perspective. Also, the original games never had 500-odd soldiers on screen at once, by the way, because you'd not have been able to see anythiing beneath a sea of troopers D:

And I like the fact you're avoiding the IP infringement problem by simply basing it on the gameplay. *gives a thumbs up*

Coding's going to require some thinking out of the box, though, for things like optimising enemies, and the control system.

-Angry Lawyer

Well I'm glad you guys like the idea, and I'll definatelly be using a fixed 3D isometric perspective Angry Lawyer, perhaps a top view too. I'm gonna go ahead with the idea, probably take a month to get myself more comfortable with modding hl2 then I'll start recruiting. Thanks for the posts guys, keep them coming if you have anything else to say.

Well if you need a mapper this may be something I might take interest in, based on the direction you take.

Also you should consider the classic arcade style mode, but also one that allows the player a more free-type mode of gameplay. Perhaps even some kind of multiplayer DM/TDM/Team Objective modes.

Sounds good Sgt. Redneck I'll contact you when I start to get things rolling

Ok Billtcm. I am on a mod right now, so I want to finish up my job there for sure, but I can try the two at the same time if this get rolling while I am still with the other mod. Also sorry for the double post, was an accident. :x

Back