New Valve Game - Left 4 Dead

Reginald

Reaction score
OK, first, a disclaimer. I am going to post this in 2 or 3 places so that it gets attention. Don't flame me. Bastards.

Remember when Iced_Eagle said he played a new game when he went to visit Valve? A game that would blow our socks off?
Well, PCGamer UK has an exclusive on it.

It's a multiplayer co-op, survival horror made by Valve and Turtle Rock, involving 4 people with weapons vs. zombies. It's worryingly similar to Zombie Master in the way it works.
It's made by Michael Booth, the person who created the bots for CS:S and CS:CZ.

I'll pick out a few key phrases from the article.

• Inspired by 28 Days Later and the premise of putting knives into the hands of CS bots
  • Four players, "The Survivors," face off against "The Infected," mostly AI controlled zombies, although it is also possible to play as a zombie.
  • Regular zombies, but also mutated varieties such as poisonous vomit-spewing Slither-esuqe zombies, fat mega-lumpy zombies, muscle bound zombies etc.
  • Zombies are FAST
  • Procedural animation mixed with ragdoll animation (Example used, a zombie throws a survivor who then gets hit by a car)
  • Requires teamwork
  • One type of zombie, called Smoker, has a hugely long tongue and acts in a similar way to a barnacle in HL
  • Automatic voice macros. For example, if you see an enemy and your buddy hasn't, you will automatically yell "Look Out!"
  • Sheer amount of enemies is the problem, not the strength of them
  • Possible to fight from the ground when zombies have taken you down
  • Possible to play on your own vs all AI

I couldn't find this posted anywhere yet so I assume PCGUK has the exclusive. :E

I am not currently in the process of scanning the magazine, hence you will not be able to PM me for the scans I will not be making.

ssh.gif

So , 4 people against hordes of zombies? any info about the weapons? maps? size of them? how playing a zombie works?

So..can Iced_Eagle speak now ? :D

Couold somebody point out the similarity between Zombie Master and this?

Zombie Master's key feature is the fact that the Zombies are controlled as an RTS. This sounds closer to No More Room in Hell.

-Angry Lawyer

How they are tackling the issue of balancing if on one side alot of people are playing as zombies against only 4 people in the opposite group. On the other side how they are dealing with the possibillity of it not being fun to play as zombies , cause you suggested the zombies have very low HP.

Sorry for swamping you with questions lol.

Read the full news post mate for those answers :)

I'd play it. I spend a lot of time playing the zombies maps on cs. This sounds like its all polished up. Cept I wish there was more players.

But the question is, will we be doing it in true 28 days later style and duffing up zombies with SA80s? If not, I'm not interested.

Never really found a zombie game that really captured what I truly wanted. Maybe this will nab it!

Posted the same thing over in News forum.

Didn't read through this thread at all.

Yes, this is the game I played at Valve like 3 weeks ago and it's so f*cking cool. Great teamwork in it (we were taking out levels Swat style while covering each others' backs).

The levels are freaking huge and it's pretty much a get from point A to point B. Each level is extremely varied and you never go through the same area twice.

Zombies are tricky to play as because they can't be too overpowered and kill players too easily since it's "once you're dead you're dead".

Now, death is handled a bit differently however. Once you reach 0 hp normally, you are considered "Down" and are stuck on the ground, with 300hp this time, can't move and can only fire your pistol. A teammate needs to come over and revive you. In fact, there are lots of moments where you need to be helped by teammates (by holding +use on them).

For example there are areas where you need to jump from a roof into a window to keep moving. If you miss the jump, you can grab onto the ledge, and you need to get a teammate to successfully make the jump, and then pull you over. It's sweet.

I'll write up more later.

*Edit* Oh, this is pretty much like Zombie Master, but instead of a human player controlling the RTS components, it's run by some overlord AI that judges when, how many, what types of zombies to spawn in based on intensity levels of the player. It takes in your health, hits you get, ammo, etc to judge this... So basically it provides the "perfect" and balanced zombies. Plus, you get to play as 4 sweet zombies which is really tight.

Pisses me off that reg made like 10 identical threads.

If it's made by Valve I trust it will be awesome. Those features sound great.

If it's like Iced_Eagle said, then it'll be awesome! May get old quickly though.

Valve is a high quality company, I'm sure they'll make it as great as it can be.

Dude, I could never see this game getting old.

It is a favorite at Valve. At like 4:30pm they decided to hook me up with a playtest, so one guy just yelled out "Left 4 Dead server up!" and anyone who wasn't working stopped what they were doing to play. It's that addicting.

In fact, I'm still itching to play it even though I haven't touched it in 3 weeks :p

Dude, I could never see this game getting old.

It is a favorite at Valve. At like 4:30pm they decided to hook me up with a playtest, so one guy just yelled out "Left 4 Dead server up!" and anyone who wasn't working stopped what they were doing to play. It's that addicting.

In fact, I'm still itching to play it even though I haven't touched it in 3 weeks :p

How did you get that trip to Valve? Tell me the stroy Eagle! :p

They asked me to come and play test since I've been there before.

How did you get that trip to Valve? Tell me the sTROY Eagle! :p

The key may be in the typo in your post.

One giant wooden headcrab model offering, coming up. :naughty:

Haha that would be the funniest thing ever.

Good luck fitting it in the elevator, but there's so many cranes around you could probably lift it and put it up to their window.

Imagine a mob of gamers just running out of a head crab :p

Sound like its that much fun if people are acting like that.

You're one lucky guy getting the chance to play test for Valve. Wish I could visit them. :(

The key may be in the typo in your post.

One giant wooden headcrab model offering, coming up. :naughty:

Good luck fitting it in the elevator, but there's so many cranes around you could probably lift it and put it up to their window.

dance.gif

What about a mob of headcrabs running out of a gamer? That would be.....

Extreme?

domokun9ze.gif
domokun9ze.gif
domokun9ze.gif

DomoKun's reporting to support the headcrab rush!

The peniiownage brotherhood is still strong.......Let there be headcrabs! And cookies.

That'll do.

Iced, did Valve mention any other planned projects while you were up there? Don't lie to us. We know where you post.....

AHAHAHHA

That'll do.

Iced, did Valve mention any other planned projects while you were up there? Don't lie to us. We know where you post.....

Obviously there are more, but I didn't hear or play any other games.

So now to complete the list (in the order that I've played them): Portal, Half-Life 2: Episode Two, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead

Those are the only games which I saw and played.

Back