New Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the video 30 minutes after it was released from fileshack.

AHAHAHHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHHAHA!

coax: well I started download almost 2 hours ago so I wasnt THAT late
its just very slow

People stopped talking about the vid around page 50. Its old. But Amazon has the 9800pro for $294.00. Anybody find a better price, please say so cuz I refuse to hold on to this disgracful 5600.

im not paying more than $150 for video card no matter what

Originally posted by alb1221
now half-life 2 beats doom III in every aspect aslmost... funny :cheese:

If people knew how advanced the doom 3 engine is they wouldnt be dissing it.

It's strange, how they said it WOULD be available today, yet it isn't going too, and we probably won't know.

Originally posted by coax
almost every aspect? what aspect is it losing?

the ragdolls bending according to where bullets back inpact realisticly key frame whats its calledness

uhh and DIII has some insane shadeing techniques that hl2 isint useing I read

hoooooly shit that is one ****ing amazing video, I thought doom 3's graphics were slightly better until I watched this video. SUPERB valve, I salute you *salutes*

Originally posted by alb1221
the ragdolls bending according to where bullets back inpact realisticly key frame whats its calledness

uhh and DIII has some insane shadeing techniques that hl2 isint useing I read

Pshhhh... "shading techniques"... hrm...

Originally posted by Reaper978
If people knew how advanced the doom 3 engine is they wouldnt be dissing it.

I didnt diss DOOM's engine... im sure it will own as well

I wonder which engine will be the most popular among retail game makers in the future.. d3 or source that is.

Ya shading techniques, you know, not using a workaround for shadows and instead fully rendering the shadows. If they got soft shadows in there and lowered the contrast it would look real.

I wonder which engine will be the most popular among retail game makers in the future.. d3 or source that is.

I hope source for more playability on average machines.

P.S. Yay, you're a ZOMBIE now! Hehe...

I now know what Gabe meant all of those times he said "It was a design descision, not a technical limitation."

I dunno, i want the engine that gives the most graphically, but, does doom 3 have all that dynamics/physics shit like source?

I dunno, i want the engine that gives the most graphically, but, does doom 3 have all that dynamics/physics shit like source?

That and alot more.

no, godlike is the nude scene from prozac nation with christina ricci :)

but yeah, this video is a close third, after the older 500mb video..
that video made my jaw drop like no other.

Doom 3, I'll admit, is a better engine for shadows, and graphics. But after looking at the video Valve put out today.....it isn't by much.

Oh, and remember, HL2 is actually finished (for the most part). the iD engine won't be arround till late 2004 for, or 2005.

If they got soft shadows in there and lowered the contrast it would look real.

Ha, you just described a whole new engine.

per poly hit detection is non-existant in hl2.

To say it is non-existent isn't exactly correct from this response from Gabe:

Let's see if I can say this properly.

In Half-Life 1, world collisions and collision culling were handled by gross bounding boxes. If something collided with the bounding box, you could then compare it against a group of hit boxes. This was pretty coarse.

In Half-Life 2, entities can also have an associated vphysics collision
model. This is what the physics uses, and gives per polygon collision
information. Gross bounding boxes are now used mainly for culling. Hit
boxes now have more flexibility (they move with the bone they are assigned to, for example). If you need polygon level collision information (which is useful for a lot of things) then you'll be using the vphysics model and not the hit boxes.

You could, if you wanted to, build a mod that did per-poly vphysics collisions for every entity. However there are lots of times when hit-box
collisions give you all the information you need.

I think the confusion about this arose when someone at Valve was asked "does HL-2 have hit boxes" and the answer was "yes". This was technically accurate, but left off the information the questioner was actually after.

Gabe

Unless I misunderstood the above message...

that link doesnt work for me.. :(

and yeah, maybe doom 3 will be even the next generation after source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back